DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 1500 crew cab, 4X4, 3.92 gears, Hemi. The 8 speed is nice but the up shifts under WOT are annoyingly soft, even in Tow/Haul mode.... Is this normal ?

My 2005 QC Laramie 4X4 Hemi will chirp the tires(20 inch) on the 1-2 up shift.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I think the closer ratio gear spacing helps the transmission to operate more smoothly than you prefer. I've enjoyed shift kits in my older cars to give the firm gear shifts that chirp the tires into the next gear, but the Ram isn't even close, and I appreciate the smooth shifting when towing. The transmission is operating as designed.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,279 Posts
LOL

I suspect a lot of people, maybe most people, might describe the absence of "chirping" tires as excellent torque management and intelligent driveline design. Design which avoids unnecessary and possibly damaging driveline stresses, especially in a vehicle intended to haul/tow a fair amount of weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all that replied. I'm kind of glad it's not an isolated problem. I just think it's weird when it shifts at wide open throttle, the gForce that is pushing you back into the seat goes away, causing my head to fall forward until it slowly shifts up, then repeats and so on.

I am guessing this transmission is an adaptive/learning type trans. But how do you teach a new horse on old trick ?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The computer pulls a lot of the engine power back to preserve the trans during the shifts, it would have to shift hard to preserve the soft parts but most customers dislike hard shifts and think it is "broken" if that style is used to allow better trans lifespan. The alternative is digitally pulling the power back and slowly easing it back in as you can feel with a stock one.

Mechanically speaking the best type of automatic trans shift is hard and fast since it allows the bare minimum of friction material slippage.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
It's a pickup truck not a corvette. I like the smooth shifts of the 8 speed.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I suspect a lot of people, maybe most people, might describe the absence of "chirping" tires as excellent torque management and intelligent driveline design. Design which avoids unnecessary and possibly damaging driveline stresses, especially in a vehicle intended to haul/tow a fair amount of weight.

Came to say it but you already did

Nothing like a broken ring gear to put a damper on your tow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am new to this forum, and it appears some members are easily offended when someone has a little dislike with Ram. This may not be the forum for me.

Again thanks to those that replied.

P.S.
I do know the difference between a Corvette and a Ram, i own both.

Moderator, feel free to remove me. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I'm not removing you because you don't like a couple of the answers to your question. There were no personal attacks and nothing inappropriate posted.

It also didn't seem like you were posting something negative about Ram, or that you were having a problem, just asking about the transmission's characteristics.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am new to this forum, and it appears some members are easily offended when someone has a little dislike with Ram. This may not be the forum for me.

Again thanks to those that replied.

P.S.
I do know the difference between a Corvette and a Ram, i own both.

Moderator, feel free to remove me. Thank you.
Don't let the grumpy old timers shoo you away. Lots of good info on this forum. You just have to accept some sarcasm, pot-shots, and off-the cuff criticism. Kind of comes with the territory, when old geezers get in front of a keyboard with an opportunity to spout off.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
To the op. I meant no offense nor any kind of dig at you. I would ask that you reconsider and remain here as this is an awesome forum with a lot of valuable information and ideas. In addition to my RAM I own a cadillac DTS performance package. So I also enjoy driving a fast car. I have caught myself cruising north of 90mph on long trips.

Reactions: 9thousandfeet

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks to all that replied. I'm kind of glad it's not an isolated problem. I just think it's weird when it shifts at wide open throttle, the gForce that is pushing you back into the seat goes away, causing my head to fall forward until it slowly shifts up, then repeats and so on.

I am guessing this transmission is an adaptive/learning type trans. But how do you teach a new horse on old trick ?
Hptuners and some free time.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts