DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our new 2012 Laramie today and I had the dealer install a set of Timbren rubber springs on the rear. I know the Timbren website recommends a gap of approx. 1" between the Timbren and the axle in an unloaded state. My truck has a gap of 2" or maybe a bit more. I'm wondering if this gap will close up a bit as the rear springs break in or should I do something to narrow the gap such as putting in an additional spacer? I'm hoping someone on the forum is familiar with this issue and can advise me. Thanks .

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed a set on my truck at 500 miles an they have always had about an inch of clearance. My only guess would be to double check and make sure they installed the correct set. I know the regular cabs are a different part number than the crew cabs...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I talked with Timbren. They recommended the shorter ones for my 2010 Crew Cab, which is the part number for the Quad also. Here's their response:

" The DR1500DQ is recommended for your vehicle. It is shorter than the
DR1500DS.

Thanks

Murray Biel
Customer Service Manager
Timbren Industries
320 Hopkins Street
Whitby, ON, L1N 2B9
Canada
Phone 800-263-3113, 905-444-9004
Fax 905-444-9005
email: [email protected]
web site: www.timbren.com
"

·
Registered
251 Posts
We just picked up our new 2012 Laramie today and I had the dealer install a set of Timbren rubber springs on the rear. I know the Timbren website recommends a gap of approx. 1" between the Timbren and the axle in an unloaded state. My truck has a gap of 2" or maybe a bit more. I'm wondering if this gap will close up a bit as the rear springs break in or should I do something to narrow the gap such as putting in an additional spacer? I'm hoping someone on the forum is familiar with this issue and can advise me. Thanks .
Not sure what you are planning to tow with it, but I tow a 25' travel trailer with 4-point sway control and don't need anything for the coil springs. The front stays the same height, and the rear sags 1", which is recommended.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also decided to contact Timbren directly and they are going to send me a set that are slightly longer. I will be pulling a travel trailer with 450LB hitch weight and carrying a 700lb ATV at times plus some extra gear. I do have a load leveller hitch which will help of course but my concern is with the ATV loaded and the fact that it would have to drop 2" or more before the Timbrens come into play. Thank you all for your input. I'll see what happens I guess the first time I load everything.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Any updates on this topic? I've ordered the 2013 Ram with the new air suspension. There has been some discussion about "protection mode" with the air suspension...meaning the rear air suspension squats to a level it can't compensate for anymore (can't level out the truck with the payload). I was wondering if I could put on a set of timbren air springs in place of the bump stops to compensate any for the squat.

Thoughts? How is the ride when loaded?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Not sure if you can add Timbrens to the air suspension (but I'm thinking not). If you are towing a trailer I would suggest a weight distribution hitch. Theoretically you would need nothing else if it is setup properly. Having the air suspension will be an added benefit. If you are worried about simply payload then if you are loading the bed up to the point where the air suspension cannot accommodate, then you are most likely over the payload limit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts