DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I left work today I checked my gas gauge and it said I had about 3/4 tank left. I filled up two days ago, so that sounds about right. I got almost all the way home (5 miles), then suddenly the fuel gauge went from 3/4 to empty and the low fuel light activated. I pulled into the driveway and the truck suddenly dies. I try to restart, but she doesn't start back up. I go into the house for 30 minutes, then come back out to try it again... I crank it for 4 to 5 seconds while pumping the gas pedal and she finally starts but it won't idle unless I pump the gas pedal really fast. It acts like it's starving for fuel. The low fuel light is still activated and the gas gauge reads completely empty, but I know for sure it has about 3/4 tank full of gasoline. Can anyone give me any ideas about what might be wrong with my truck? Thanks y'all.

Truck: 1999 Dodge Ram Sport, 4x4, 5.9L, Automatic, 160k Miles

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Erik, Mine did that over the summer and would start back up after resting a few, then one day working on it I pulled into the garage and it wouldnt start to get it out... Thanks to the guys here it turned out to be a $12 fuel pump relay located in the power distribution box under the hood on the drivers side by the battery ( if yours is in the same place as my 97. Hope this helps ya buddy. Otherwise rent a scanner from the auto part store (free) and check for codes.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
it did once, but after fixing the relay and filling up the gas guage still went all whacky on me for about a week and then it suddenly went back to normal... so it is a goofy thing that never got figured out, but to this day it has been fine...knock on wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.