DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So stupid question. I just installed my 5100s (twice...put the stupid washer on the top and not under the upper mount the first time) and have a small clunk over bumps. I've read that if the top nut isn't tight that may cause it. My question is what is the proper process to tighten the top nut? Do I compress the spring all the way so that the top nut tightens all the way down and bottoms out on the threads of the piston? Basically the spring would still be loose after the nut is all the way down and tight? Another process? I tightened the nut but after the spring compressors were off so it didn't bottom all the way out. Good news I'm a pro at removing the coil overs now so I should be able to fix it in an hour! Lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Had the same clunk after the 5100's were installed, the top nut can be accessed from the engine bay from the top. We put an impact gun on the top nut and just cranked it down while the truck was on the ground. Took the clunk away and it has been fine for more than a year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sir win the internet. Went out and hit it with an impact. No more clunk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts