DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price range I'm looking at right now is ($350-$675) between single exhaust with flowmaster 50 series to true duals with flowmaster 50s. I have several options (1) is single exhaust, (2) is single in/duals out, (3) is after the Y pipe to run two mufflers out the rear, (4) true duals? Which one is better when it comes to sound/performance and money saver?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
With the exception of the Y i think the factory piping is sufficient. So imo i would get a Magnaflow Y to replace the factory POS Y joint and then get a aftermarket si/do or si/so muffler. Should be below or the bottom end of your budget.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
AS far as sound/performance/money saver a single in single out will be best. a single in dual out will soun nearly identicle but just has the second tip, which usually if your mkaing your own catback or have a local shop make it for you will be more expensive because it is extra pipe and bends that you have to pay for.

One of my friends had his stock muffler cut off and a single flowmaster with single tip dumper after the rear tire done around here for $200. It sounds great and was super cheap.

Im with Kay9 about the Y as well though. Get that sucky stock one out of there and help your truck breathe a bit.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Like 60 I believe, they are incredibly cheap. If you know of a good exhaust shop around you they could make you one as well

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm running a si/do flowmaster 50 kit and a electric cutout and I love it. It'll fall right around the middle range of your price range. Also the flowmaster kit offers different tip exit points either straight out the back or angled behind the rear tires.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
this is my setup, true dual setup from header collectors, gutted cats, H pipe, dual e-cutouts, dual in/single out 22" magnaflow muffler dumped after axle.... the only thing i supplied was the cutouts....everything else supplied and welded and flanged in places i wanted it flanged.. $250... tell me again how this is more expensive than goin out and just gettin a catback kit..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chefred112, that's a cool set up, how was it $250. I have gone to 5 different places and all quoted me $675 for true duals with an X pipe goin all the way to the rear bumpers. I think I might just go with a single exhaust and replace the muffler and straight pipe, that's the cheapest way and I could always change it up later. I have 2 friends at my work that have ram 1500s and they both have single exhaust and sounds pretty good :). I was also told that my 2011 ram 1500 5.7L Hemi barely has any restrictions compared to the older models?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
here is what I learned with some muffler shops...if you ask them to estimate, they will quote you on the high side just in case, i tell everyone who goes to this shop not to ask how much it will cost...let him do the work and then let him tell you the cost..he charges so low that we give him more money cuz WE even think it's too low..i always bring him a 12 pack... he's a one man shop so his overhead is low, plus, he does work that other muffler shops won't touch...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
"I was also told that my 2011 ram 1500 5.7L Hemi barely has any restrictions compared to the older models? "

really? that's news to me... then again, you never know...have you checked your Y pipe? is it pinched like all the years?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Damn chef thats stupid freaking cheap.

and yes the 2011 y is pinched/crushed like the others

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got true duals with flowmasters 10 series installed for under 300, love the sound and power has gone up, plue MPG is around 20 highway.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I haven't replaced the Y yet (currently in Korea)....I love the way it sounds with the Cherry Bomb....people I pass however do not lol.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I haven't replaced the Y yet (currently in Korea)....I love the way it sounds with the Cherry Bomb....people I pass however do not lol.

My friends tell my that about my Corsa catback too and they are used to me blowing their ears off in my camaro lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
True Duals

true duals are the way to go, even with 10 series flows you can't hear them in the cab unless you're getting into it. The power is definitely higher too.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
true duals are the way to go, even with 10 series flows you can't hear them in the cab unless you're getting into it. The power is definitely higher too.
you must be deaf then:)..i ran flow 50's for awhile and thought they were quiet until i switched out to mag's which was a fraction of the interior noise of the flows... i can have decent conversations and not have to crank up the radio just to hear things normally now....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts