DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about replacing the shocks soon on my newly acquired 2004 quad cab 4x4. It seems to ride a little stiffer than my old 2006 but I am assuming this is due to the torsion bar vs. coilover suspension. It only has 66K miles but it's eight years old so I figured some new shocks would help. I also read a lot and knew a fair amount about the coilover suspension but don't know much about the torsion bar setup.

There are some good videos on shock replacement on these trucks online but it leaves a few questions. Primarily, does the truck have to be jacked up or on a lift to do the replacement? Anything else I should keep in mind? I am thinking about going with Skyjacker Hydros but don't know for sure yet. Autoanything has them basically buy three get one free (after a rebate) now through May. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am thinking about replacing the shocks soon on my newly acquired 2004 quad cab 4x4. It seems to ride a little stiffer than my old 2006 but I am assuming this is due to the torsion bar vs. coilover suspension. It only has 66K miles but it's eight years old so I figured some new shocks would help. I also read a lot and knew a fair amount about the coilover suspension but don't know much about the torsion bar setup.

There are some good videos on shock replacement on these trucks online but it leaves a few questions. Primarily, does the truck have to be jacked up or on a lift to do the replacement? Anything else I should keep in mind? I am thinking about going with Skyjacker Hydros but don't know for sure yet. Autoanything has them basically buy three get one free (after a rebate) now through May. Thanks!
it really easy, i did mine in like 20 min with a buddy, no need to jack it up

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks for the input. The Ranchos are buy three get one free too I believe. They are just a little more than the Skyjackers. When you say they are a little extended you mean they are a little longer than stock? Did you go with the RS5000? Could you actually tell any difference in the ride?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the input. The Ranchos are buy three get one free too I believe. They are just a little more than the Skyjackers. When you say they are a little extended you mean they are a little longer than stock? Did you go with the RS5000? Could you actually tell any difference in the ride?
yes they are longer by a little bit and you are correct they are the rs 5000. i did notice better ride but that could be due to the fact that my shocks were getting fully extended going over bumps with the original shocks

·
Registered
159 Posts
with that being said tho im comparing a leveled truck with stock shocks to the leveled truck with ranchos, neither of wich ride as well as the factory did also swaping from the michellin at to the mt's i have on it now didnt help either

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha, thanks. My 2004 rides a fair amount stiffer than my old 2006 and I'm wondering if more of the difference is the shocks (2006 had new Bilsteins on it) or the torsion bar vs. coilover suspension. I'm going to put new shocks on it regardless...just curious as to how much it might actually help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gotcha, thanks. My 2004 rides a fair amount stiffer than my old 2006 and I'm wondering if more of the difference is the shocks (2006 had new Bilsteins on it) or the torsion bar vs. coilover suspension. I'm going to put new shocks on it regardless...just curious as to how much it might actually help.
ya the coilover style will ride better but you gotta love the simplicity of a torion bar setup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts