DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 Express Crew Cab 4X4 and have a couple of questions this group hopefully will help me with.

1). I read on the forum not to change the oil viscosity due to MDS. Ok, but my question is can I safely switch to synthetic?

2). I intend to wire aftermarket lights, is there only one fusebox under the hood? Is there a second fusebox located inside?

3). What's the best solution for adding switches to control the lights? Can I modify (drill) the plastic plate where the Tow/Haul, Flasher, switches is located and add my own switches? I assume lots of folks have already been down this road and I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

4). Lastly, where do you recommend I penetrate the firewall to get wires from the engine compartment to the inside of the cab?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice you might share with me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For penetrating the firewall, in my last vehicle, I used the rubber bushings where other things had gone through I simply poked a hole in that busing and pushed the wire through. A dab of silicone around the hole ensured a tear wouldn't start. Check the 2011 forum for a thread on aux switches. There is a part you can buy that gives 4 auxilliary switches in the RAM rubber piece on the dash. You then have to wire them to your own relay box, but it is an elegant way to wire accessories that looks OEM.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
1. yes u can safely switch to synthetic, just make sure u stay with synthetics once u use them.

2. I do not remember

3. That tow/haul cannot be modified or hasnt been cracked yet. Most people have been adding switches into the plate on the center console on the bottom side or in the dash where the blank small compartment is to the left and right of the radio.

4. You would be okay with penetrating the firewall in front of the steering column. Easiest trick is to straighten a coat hanger and put a piece of electrical tape on the end, poke it through and then tape the wires on where the electrical tape was put then pull it back through.

·
Registered
386 Posts
2). I intend to wire aftermarket lights, is there only one fusebox under the hood? Is there a second fusebox located inside?

IMHO, stay out of the factory fuse panels and off the factory wires. That should keep your warranty OK.

Tap to the battery, hit a main fuse, then to your added fuses, relays, wires etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this was useful.

I noticed a unused factory plug dangling at the top behind the grill. Can someone tell me what this was for?

·
Registered
79 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts