DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Its a Panasonic head unit, so it would most likely be a Panasonic engineered modem for the wifi.

There is a IMEI and a ICCID number in the engineering modes.

But I don't see as you'd gain anything from switching sim cards, even if you could find the unit.

$20 for unlimited data is a good deal.

You'd have to go thru the car connected department at AT&T, so I would say what you are requesting is NOT possible.

It appears Dodge moved to AT&T in 2018. I am curious if this utilizes a SIM card and if so where is it at? Does anyone know if this is unlocked. If so I would love to try a Project Fi Sim card in it.

I don't have AT&T for my cell carrier but the prices don't seem bad for unlimited.
https://myvehicle.att.com/lpportal-2/#/dodge/learn

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
You have to pay for the Uconnect Advantage, also called Uconnect Access Plan
That allows your cell phone & Panasonic unit to interface

In the Thread title it reads

Questions with Wifi
Wifi is another fee on top of the Uconnect Access Plan

In the past, you could pay for Wifi by the Month, Week or even Daily under the Sprint Plan
If you were going somewhere for a weekend, you could activate it just for that weekend & then deactivate after the weekend.

I drive to one of my Sisters homes & she doesn't have a Wifi modem, i am usually there for 3 weeks, so under the plan, i could activate it for a month & then deactivate it for the rest of the year

3G Wi-Fi Hotspot Subscriptions (Extra Charges Apply):

$9.99/Day, $19.99/Week, $49.99/Month.

·
Registered
665 Posts
in the '18's, the interface is still called UCONNECT but the "connected car" portion has moved to Sirius Guardian, and it uses AT&T for the wifi.
subscription information is $5 a day for 250mb or $20 a month for unlimited. Your vehicle does have to meet certain software/app criteria before it will work. (was almost painful dealing with UCONNECT folks trying to figure why mine didn't work, but after I talked to AT&T, everything moved along).

Finally got it setup and working.

Sprint in the previous year models was soooooooooooooo horrible where I live.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,464 Posts
I lost wifi for several days when the northeast got hit with a storm. I lost power for 4 days but my generator worked great. Not having cable internet was a pita. I researched 4G LTE wifi and found T-Mobile offers 6 gigs a month that carries over if unused with unlimited streaming of netflix hulu etc as well as youtube for $26 all in a month with no contract. Works great as a backup for my house but I can bring it anywhere T-Mobile is active and I have wifi. Its fast and works great.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I just activated mine, it has 3 months free WiFi. This is so much better then the crappy 3g in my 16. AT&T was easy to activated on the at&t website.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Ram & all the FCA vehicle owners in Canada hopefully will be able to use their cell phones & the ability to use the Uconnect Apps through the 2018 vehicles, because it uses AT&T

SPRINT could not even get Rogers Communications to work with them so that Canadians could have Connected vehicles, so they have had no access to the Uconnect Apps

Maybe someone will come up with a conversion so that 2009 - 2017 chrysler/fiat vehicles can use the new system

·
Registered
665 Posts
Clarification > > > 3 months or 1GB (which ever occurs first).

And then only $20 a month for unlimited (up to 22GB fine print).

and I have to agree 100%. Switching to AT&T is the best thing they ever did.

Sprint was just so awful awful awful.

I already had a car connected device thru AT&T, so I knew it was a good move.

I just activated mine, it has 3 months free WiFi. This is so much better then the crappy 3g in my 16. AT&T was easy to activated on the at&t website.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What's the difference between using the Uconnect wifi and just using the hot spot feature on your actual device? Why would you need Uconnect wifi access?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Are you talking about the hotspot function on a cell phone?

If so, most carriers don't allow "unlimited" hotspot usage.

If you had another adult and 2 kids burning data off your cell phone's hotspot, you're phones battery isn't gonna last very long!

The hotspot in the 18 is driven by the connected car AT&T program. MUCH MUCH better signal and service than the previous years with dreaded SPRINT (and it was only 3g, not 4G LTE)

Unlimited for $20 a month.

The hotspot in the truck is there in case you need it, and you can even sign up for a daily plan if you just happen to need it in an "must have" case.

What's the difference between using the Uconnect wifi and just using the hot spot feature on your actual device? Why would you need Uconnect wifi access?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not sure of the technical wording. but I don't think its called UCONNECT wifi access in the 18.

Its called Sirius Guardian wifi access in the 18 and up I think.

both modules use AT&T.

UCONNECT is still the interface for it all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ah, I guess that makes sense. I have an AT&T iPhone, but it's on a corporate plan with pooled data for 10,000+ users, so I don't pay much attention to the data usage :doh:

·
Registered
665 Posts
yeah, must IRU account have an allotted amount of hotspot data, while CRU accounts might be truly unlimited... Guess that would depend on the corporation.

You don't have to subscribe to the wifi after the trial, but $20 isn't bad at all (sure better than the sucky 3G plans SPRINT supplied).

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I have an AT&T iPhone, but it's on a corporate plan with pooled data for 10,000+ users, so I don't pay much attention to the data usage :doh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts