DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone make or buy a quick disconnect swaybar end link? or remove their swaybars all together? any opinions or pics?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I priced a power wagon set up at my dealer and he told me it would be about 3500 buck, I just walked away. I dont know of any QD makers for our bars

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I've seen setups for rock crawlers(to allow more travel) at Jeep shows where they use cotter pins or similar to hold the sway bars on to a stud, and are easily removable. When removed, the sway bars just hang down and you get more suspension travel. Is this what you're looking for?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen setups for rock crawlers(to allow more travel) at Jeep shows where they use cotter pins or similar to hold the sway bars on to a stud, and are easily removable. When removed, the sway bars just hang down and you get more suspension travel. Is this what you're looking for?
yes and the fact that the factory swaybar end links blow. the balljoints in the ends are garbage and after a few months the front end starts clunking. take the sway bar off and voila the clunk is gone. i was reading a tread on another forum about taking them off and it got mixed reviews most said it was a considerably better ride but with that comes more body roll.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah you'll get terrible body roll, especially as heavy as these trucks are, without sway bars. It would be cool if you could fab up your own end links though, really shouldn't be very expensive or difficult. Maybe a weekend of work...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you'll get terrible body roll, especially as heavy as these trucks are, without sway bars. It would be cool if you could fab up your own end links though, really shouldn't be very expensive or difficult. Maybe a weekend of work...
The only problem is that the end links are not straight up and down so the need that ball joint to allow some movement with the lca. You would have to modify the stock links. Almost have to cut them in half and add a sleeve with pins. Or possibly cut the swaybar itself in half and use a sleeve to connect it with some Clevis'. That way the end links stay attached but the two halves would then be able to move independently

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That's exactly what I was going to say: Cut the end link, use a sleeve with cotter pins.

I did the pin replacement with cotter pins on my Jeep and it worked like a charm. You have to be on level ground to put them back in though. After pulling the pin I just twist the sway bar up out of the way.

I haven't looked at the Ram setup though.. so this is just thoughts :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly what I was going to say: Cut the end link, use a sleeve with cotter pins.

I did the pin replacement with cotter pins on my Jeep and it worked like a charm. You have to be on level ground to put them back in though. After pulling the pin I just twist the sway bar up out of the way.

I haven't looked at the Ram setup though.. so this is just thoughts :)
hey, all thoughts are welcome. thanks for your imput:smileup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Back from the dead. Has anyone has any luck with this? Or just have any helpful info? I would really like some quick disconnects for my sway bar.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I made a set for my last jeep. Half inch threaded rod with heim joints on either end. Bolted to the sway bar then retained by a tractor pin on the axle.

Ill be honest, by the time I purchased everything to make them work (4 heim joints, a length of threaded rod, jam bolts, tractor pins, etc) I really didnt save any money over buying a set from say JKS. It was satisfying to make them myself though.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I havent found anyone that makes disconnects for a 1500, but a few like Tuff Country make a heim-joint connect that will allow a lot more flex.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
BDS makes good stuff

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between the front suspensions on 1500 and the HD trucks. Fitting a swaybar disconnect to a truck with IFS isn't going to gain you much if anything. That is probably why you can't find any for sale that fit the IFS trucks.

Fitting a swaybar disconnect to a solid front axle truck will allow the axle to move the full range of the shocks with much less resistance.

Disconnecting swaybars and driving above 30 mph is just plain a BAD idea. The bars are there to control the handling balance of the trucks. Disconnecting the front and leaving the rear will cause massive oversteer probably leading to a crash where the truck goes off the road backwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yah I only disconnect while off pavement and I do have the solid axle, If you do enjoy offroading though I do recommend this. The ride alone even on non rock crawling trails is 100% better nevermind the added traction it gives you. Loved my qik discos on my 12 wrangler jku. You would also be surprised at how well it works in IFS as well though.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Yah I only disconnect while off pavement and I do have the solid axle, If you do enjoy offroading though I do recommend this. The ride alone even on non rock crawling trails is 100% better nevermind the added traction it gives you. Loved my qik discos on my 12 wrangler jku. You would also be surprised at how well it works in IFS as well though.
Well absolutely it improves off road ride and articulation which is why it is standard on the Power Wagon and Rubicon. No IFS on a truck for me, doesn't suit my needs. Doesn't work anywhere near as well as a solid axle where I trail ride.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between the front suspensions on 1500 and the HD trucks. Fitting a swaybar disconnect to a truck with IFS isn't going to gain you much if anything. That is probably why you can't find any for sale that fit the IFS trucks.

Fitting a swaybar disconnect to a solid front axle truck will allow the axle to move the full range of the shocks with much less resistance.

Disconnecting swaybars and driving above 30 mph is just plain a BAD idea. The bars are there to control the handling balance of the trucks. Disconnecting the front and leaving the rear will cause massive oversteer probably leading to a crash where the truck goes off the road backwards.
Absolutely correct on all points here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts