DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 5.7. I changed the header gaskets, and i had to break the y-pipe loose from the header in order to gain access to clean the block/headers of excess gasket material. Well, the header collector flange is a two bolt flange. It had no gasket in it when I broke it apart, and I believe it is now leaking from there. Not badly, mind you, but still. Its a tick. Is there supposed to be a doughnut gasket or crush gasket/washer I am supposed to install at that joint? None of the part houses around here carried a gasket, nor a gasket listing, for this section. Any help, or do I just need to try to re-seat the midpipe to the header and retighten? Thanks.

- Christopher

As a side note, I bought the truck with Gibson headers already installed, and with a slight header leak already present.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
This is just a guess
Did you tighten those studs up one at a time,
or did you get them up fairly close & then tighten 1 a turn, then the other a turn, etc doing them evenly?

If it continues to tick, call a muffler shop & ask them this same question, they would know a lot more than a guy behind the parts counter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started all of the bolts (used stage 8), then snugged them up real good. Then I started from the inside and worked out, tightening pretty tight, then I went over them a second time. Heat cycled the motor, then checked them, then installed the lockers. As far as the y-pipe, there is only two bolts, and I tightened them evenly.

- Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly. That's a pretty good way of putting it. It is a stock joint. The header is slightly rounded and tapers down, and the midpipe is flared out and tapers down. Kind of like a compression fitting. There are two bolts opposite each other that pull down to compress it. I didn't think that there was supposed to be a gasket, but I wasn't sure. So, any input you give is appreciated. Thanks.

- Christopher

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yes usually ball and socket joints don't have gaskets. Sometimes they have a solid donut "gasket" but I haven't seen them used in modern vehicles. Ball and socket joints also sometimes just need cranked down real tight until they are seated. If a joint is used for a long time and gets some rust buildup or something then you take it apart and try to re seat it sometimes it doesn't seal perfectly. I'd try a wire brush to the mating surfaces and see if that helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do, then. I didn't really clean that joint up very well. Just wiped it down, kind of. Sucks that I have to pull it apart again, but at least I don't have to pull the header again. That was tedious. Thanks, man. That clears up my question perfectly.

- Christopher

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah no problem, hopefully it works out for you. While you have it out wire brush it real good, try to get it smooth to the naked eye, then it should seat ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts