DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced for the first time in my life today with my '11 R/T and I shamefully lost both races. One was a '08 Tundra Double Cab 2WD 5.7L and he beat me by 3 truck lengths. The other is a '03 Silverado SS AWD and he beat me by 2 truck lengths. I'm very disappointing because I thought these R/Ts were supposed to be fast. Both my takeoffs were horrible, but I still think that I should have done better, even with a bad takeoff. I don't want to mod my truck, unless maybe an intake and exhaust, but I wish I knew how to race it quicker. We raced from a dead stop and I tried to keep the RPMs a little below 2,000 before takeoff. Anyone have any tips, or stories to share?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for your losses, time for a tuner, CAI and freer flowing exhaust.
This is starting to sound like a funeral :LOL: I wonder how much difference an exhaust and CAI would make..I wanna stay away from programmers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many miles do you have on your R/T? From what i'v read they dont "wake up" / break-in until you have 2000-3000 miles on the engine. Then they gain power. I only have 50 miles on mine so i couldnt tell you for sure yet if this is true or not. (but i hope it is)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles do you have on your R/T? From what i'v read they dont "wake up" / break-in until you have 2000-3000 miles on the engine. Then they gain power. I only have 50 miles on mine so i couldnt tell you for sure yet if this is true or not. (but i hope it is)
I have 1,850 miles on it. I should hope it gains some more power. I've been somewhat disappointed all along with it's lack of power. I was expecting something quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Give it more time. Unless they neutered the 2011s, these trucks are quick. You just need to learn to work within their limitations. Try different things and see what works best. For example, try a couple launches without upping the RPMs. I've seen some people mentioning it bogging down doing that. Mine seems to do best just stomping it from a dead stop.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If this is the first time you've raced, how often do you 'play' with the truck? Do you, on a regular basis' just run it through the gears from stop to speed limiter? Do you hit the ESP button and do a good ol' fashion fishtail down the road? Do you drive it like an R/T?

Over the years I've won many a race against a faster vehicle that had an in-experienced driver, and/or an in-experienced vehicle.

I don't have an R/T, and I do not have any performance mods on my 2010, an I have yet to lose a race to a Tundra; with their 4:30 gears and trans, should have beat me, but :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give it more time. Unless they neutered the 2011s, these trucks are quick. You just need to learn to work within their limitations. Try different things and see what works best. For example, try a couple launches without upping the RPMs. I've seen some people mentioning it bogging down doing that. Mine seems to do best just stomping it from a dead stop.
From a dead stop?! Huh..but doesn't that work against the torque converter the R/Ts have? I thought the torque converter allowed us to up the RPMs without stalling it, and it increased accelerator lag. I noticed my truck has quite a bit of accelerator lag..

The guy who had the tundra launches from a dead stop without upping the RPMs, and it seems to work for him.

I'm gonna practice with both, I just don't know how to find out which one is faster...maybe I need to call for a rematch..:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If this is the first time you've raced, how often do you 'play' with the truck? Do you, on a regular basis' just run it through the gears from stop to speed limiter? Do you hit the ESP button and do a good ol' fashion fishtail down the road? Do you drive it like an R/T?

Over the years I've won many a race against a faster vehicle that had an in-experienced driver, and/or an in-experienced vehicle.

I don't have an R/T, and I do not have any performance mods on my 2010, an I have yet to lose a race to a Tundra; with their 4:30 gears and trans, should have beat me, but :D
I try not to 'play' with it too much..mostly cause I can't afford tires, gas, and repairs :LOL:

I do however, go fast with it regularly..mostly to show off, and because I can't resist the temptation :D I've never practiced any hard launches though, cause my engine is fairly new (1,900 miles).

I'm impressed with your victory over a tundra! It inspires me to try again!

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
1900 miles! Unleash the beast! :D It's ready to go.

Definitely do some practice....and most important, some playing. Once you become 'one' with it, you will find the results much more predictable, and should normally find the competition in the mirrors. It's never a good thing to see your opponent through the windshield. :LOL:

Having said all that, get comfortable with it, and do the majority of you playing in wide open spaces. The last thing you (or anyone here) wants, is a catastrophe that puts yours, or anyone's health in danger. So have fun, but do so prudently.

Rule of thumb, if it doesn't feel right....stop what your doing. Don't let the heat of moment push you into doing something you will regret....it's just not worth it....ever!

Have a great time with your R/T. :smileup:

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So..exhaust vs CAI? I don't know much about exhaust, but I want something quite..how much money would it be?

·
Banned
972 Posts
You need to learn to drive that better. I ran a 14.7 on a sucky prepped track so you should be at least that. I've been driving this truck hard since I pulled it out of the showroom with 2 miles on it and now it's over 10,000. Try multiple launch methods and always race with traction control off. With time you should be better and if you can go to a track and race there so we can see your times and all that

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I first got my R/T it just would run with my friends GMC 6.2l ext cab 4x4 with 3.73's. But after a little bit of breaking in I started getting him by more and more depending on the launch and stuff. With my stock tires I'd get to about 2000rpm, right before it spins, and let off the brake and roll into the throttle to not burn out so much and short shift 1st.

But, after I killed the stock one's and got these new tires I launch at like 1000rpm with traction control on and it just rockets out of the hole. It's really up to your driving style and how you can best launch but from what I've seen just leave the traction control on. And, Make SURE you manually shift. 1st is going to shift at 5600rpm no matter what so just let it shift itself but if you don't manually shift it skips 3rd(atleast on my truck.) 3rd is only like 1000rpm but it kills your 1/4 time without it.

Sidenote about breaking in period, the salesman checked in with me about a month after I bought it and he said alot of people say their Charger's and stuff don't really break in to 5-8k miles which I noticed on mine. It was fast at around 5k miles but once it got closer to 7-8k miles it really opened up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mines alot faster with traction control off then with it on off launch just use your foot to control wheel spin if it happens. Shifting it manually is worth .3 tenths at the track. I run in my stock r/t [email protected] shifting manually. And a constant 14.72 letting it shift itself.

Troy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts