DODGE RAM FORUM banner

R/T vs Sport

33658 Views 58 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Klaus666
Kinda new to the forums here. I was trying to figure out how to eek a couple more horses out of my '08 V6 SXT when my brother shot me a link to my local dealership with a '12 Sport with a Hemi. I was drooling over it when he, just for fun (or so he thought), sent me a link for a '12 R/T in south Houston. Long story short, I picked up my new R/T on Thursday. Will post picks soon.

My question is, having never really even heard of the R/T until last week, what are the major differences between the R/T I bought and the Hemi Sport I didn't? Obviously there's badges (awesome), and 22" wheels, I read somewhere about 4.10 gears vs 3.76 or so on the Sport. I also read an old thread that referenced a 2600 stall converter. What other performance bonuses does the R/T have?
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2,735 Posts
I wonder if it was a dealer screw up, or a custom order.
There was one more , that had the hood, neither truck had the window sticker.

The Sport "Performance" Hood is a $800 option,
and can be ordered on several models so it's not really an "R/T" hood.

I think I'd ask for a refund even if it came with the hood because its really a Sport "Appearance" hood, nothing performance about it at all.

...in fact, it's less aerodynamic than the regular hood

:LOL:

· Registered
459 Posts
OP that's a great looking truck.

I think for the performance hood they should have used the stock profile and raise the middle 1" and put in the NACA scoop like the SRT-10's and Daytona's had on the 3rd gen trucks.

· Registered
79 Posts
That's about it, gears and torque converter.

Standard gear for a Sport is either 3.55's or 3.92's
Torque Converter stall is 2300 standard, R/T has a 2600.
I'm also pretty sure that your R/T has a more "sportier sounding" muffler. Especially if you are comparing it directly to an Express (sport).

· Registered
1 Posts
That's about it, gears and torque converter.

Standard gear for a Sport is either 3.55's or 3.92's
Torque Converter stall is 2300 standard, R/T has a 2600.
Interesting , my son and I have the same truck basically. However , we both have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport . Here’s the dif mine is a crew cab . My son has a quad cab . Here’s where the real dif is , my son’s truck has bigger exhaust pipes and sounds much tougher and his has about 30% more options and 22” tires as to my 20” . I have the power hood he does not . So is his the R/T and mine being a regular sport ? Thank you

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.