DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a radiator leak and I'm gonna try "Bars Leaks Liquid Aluminum Cooling system radiator & heater core Stop Leak" other then that any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good luck with that! That shit stops up everything! Don't be surprised when you have no heat, and poor cooling. I've seen cut-away radiators and heater cores that people have used that stuff on, and it's not good.

If your radiator is leaking, get a new or re-cored radiator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, Ill be getting a new radiator, even with that leak stop, I can move around the piece in the picture and have some fluid come out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you put that stuff in, I'd flush your cooling system real good.

For what it's worth, for leaks and such, there is no "miracle cure in a can". Fix-a-Flat, Bars, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc...it's all temporary "band-aid" fixes, that usually do more harm than good.

I am by no means an expert, this is merely my opinion. I've sold more of this shit to people than I care to remember back in the day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've always used water pump lube, in all my buggys, since at least 1974, I may have been wasting my money, but have only ever lost one water pump, makes me wonder... Anyhow, if you choose to use an additive to flush, it can be very risky, as the heater core is a tender little devil which may well start leaking if you choose to put acid in your system, and it has a reputation of being pure (insert your own 4 letters here) to change. If you choose to put in stop leak, you'll probably end up reversing your heater hoses a few times to keep the liquids flowing properly through it, nothing wrong with that, it doesn't care which way the water flows, but any abrasive material in the stop leak has the potential for destroying the water pump bearing, or even the water pump seal, again, nothing difficult about changing that, but I too, would suggest picking up a different radiator, keeps the grief to a minimum...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts