DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have some interference in the AM radio. Mainly only on weaker signals. When i apply the brake, it disappears. Any ideas on this?? It was the opposite in my old powerstroke----add brake, get static. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn, this thread i over a year old and no one had any answers???? I have the exact same problem and its making me nuts....no vrake and AM reception sucks, hit the brake and the static goe away. N o help at all from the Z forum?? I know others must have this, cant be just the 2 of us. I also have a 2011

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man. Blast from the past. Have you put any led's in your truck? I think that is the problem, but to be honest, i just started streaming the bad stations from my phone.... I'll get around to adding the resistors one day, and see if that eliminates it. But curious if you have added any that might help confirm or deny...

·
Registered
11 Posts
HAHA Blast from the past....well someone had to restart this thread. No, I have no LEDs. The only mods I have done is I have added running boards and clearance lights. I thought maybe the clearance lights but it doesnt matter if they are on or off. It doesnt even matter if the truck is running or not. If the truck is off and in ACC mode, the AM still sucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys...new to this forum. Did you ever figure out this reception problem? I'm a bit of an oddball listening to farm radio on lower band am stations 540. I just took radio out and added ground to back of radio but didn't do anything. I wonder if the base of antenna is solid ground to fender to frame?

·
Registered
489 Posts
have you tried a choke on the feed wire (power in)?
or pull the antenna wire so the ground isn't touching but the center is?

just throwin' stuff out there :)

i didn't have any probs with my '11 but....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reviving this from the dead........ OK, been reading a lot on this recently and i NEED YOUR HELP. I believe that this problem is somewhere in either the ABS or (and this is out there) the airbag sensors? The interference goes away ONLY when brakes are applied. Adding additional load to the system doesn't work for anything but the brakes. In reading on another forum with a guy who had this problem in a volvo....they noticed the darker the pavement, the less the interference. http://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/269774-locating-rf-interferance.html I don't think my radio ALWAYS did this, but seems like it may (my memory is not helping me) have started after a trip to dealer to have some recall or tsb work done. But, for the life of my i don't remember what they might have been...... Really just trying to bounce some things off the wall here, as i don't really know where to start looking for a fix for either possible cause just yet. Bad harness maybe??? THoughts??

·
Registered
18 Posts
THE FIX for the am reception static brake applied gone stuff

I fixed my am interference problem. Was driving me nuts too. I have a 2011 Ram. I applied ground straps everywhere (to prevent ground loop problem) asked a HAM radio guy this stuff. I tried grounding the alternator, the radio, the bed, the hood, etc... The interference was still there unless I applied the brake...then it magically disappeared.

What did I do? I took the antenna base off and realized that the contact was not very good. The antenna base was next to the fender but there was a paint, etc... stopping metal to metal contact. Yes it was that simple! I unscrewed the antenna, left it on so it wouldn't fall into the fender, took a screw driver and gently tapped the treaded base in the notches to unscrew it. Pull off the threaded nut, and remove the gray fiberglass or whatever cap that buffers between the antenna and fender. I took a small piece of emery cloth and sanded the metal edges under the fender (with my pinky finger) to provide a good contact. I took a screw driver and with emery cloth sanded the area on the antenna base where it was contacting the fender. You want metal to metal.

Voila! It's crystal clear (as good as reception goes) and no interference! The high tinny whining isn't present! The antenna base must have a good ground or a loop will ensue! Try it! Simple fix. Do NOT take the antenna all the way off or the base will fall inside the fender and you'll be forced to get it from under the wheel well. GOOD LUCK!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.