DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 1500 sport truck with sudden onset of radio playing constantly. After shutting the key off, there is a "click" behind the radio and it begins to play. I removed the fuse for the radio, but now the battery goes dead. What are your thoughts... a bad relay or a switch issue?? Your help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no...

it wasn't straightwired. I have owned truck almost 9 years, and it started this suddenly the other evening.

·
Registered
231 Posts
sounds like you have a short to a hot wire. time to break out the voltmeter and start checking wires and voltage drops.

is it an aftermarket radio or is it stock? my guess is that it is a a few wires behind the radio.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
You probably have a bad ignition switch. You should also remove the steering column cover and check the connector for signs of overheating/melting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spent a lot of time on the Dodge tonight...removed allthe steering cover, unplugged wires to switch, still came on when battery was reconnected. radio does stop momentaqrily if wipers are turned on---with the key off. Long story short, the only time the radio quits is when I unplug the bottom connector to what appears to be a large junction box located near thefloor on the left firewall. Is the computer bad on this truck??

·
Registered
57 Posts
So my truck was doing same thing found it was the seat belt ?? Pulled seat belt fuse and now it's ok. Haven't gotten into it more. But worth a try

1 - 12 of 12 Posts