DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my back up camera suddenly stopped working just a few days ago. One hour it worked, the next hour it didn't. Haven't had a chance to take it in yet to have it looked at. When I put into reverse, I get the check surroundings message on top of a blacked out screen. Has anyone out there have this happen to them before? I have the 8.4 with GPS. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ya I had this problem but my screen was blue. All you need to do is take the cover off the inside of your tailgate and plug the camera connector in. Probably wasn't plugged in all the way and vibration made it come loose.

Reactions: gofishn

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
there are 3 connections to check

If you have taken off your tailgate for anything, even getting bed liner sprayed
at the bottom of the tailgate the pigtail goes into the bottom of the bed & connects there

If you have changed shock absorbers or worked on your exhaust system, by the drivers side frame & somewhat near the tire, there should be a 2nd connector

the 3rd connector is inside of the tailgate inspection panel at the tailgate handle

when you pull the connectors apart, first look for bent male pins inside of the connector
Then give the connector a short squirt of Electrical Connector Cleaner, like these

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...ved=0ahUKEwjZ69De46bQAhUns1QKHSKUD68Q_AUIBygC

personally i have been using CRC Lectric Motive, but they also have CRC Electronic Cleaner

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late responses to all the replies. Thank you. I've been flat out busy with work and life. Haven't had the time to take in yet as I need my vehicle on a daily basis. Will need to plan around some down time. I'm thinking it must be a loose connection in the connectors. It's has been working since my first reply off and on. Some drives it works and others not. My warranty is still going so hopefully any cost will be on their dime..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there are 3 connections to check

If you have taken off your tailgate for anything, even getting bed liner sprayed
at the bottom of the tailgate the pigtail goes into the bottom of the bed & connects there

If you have changed shock absorbers or worked on your exhaust system, by the drivers side frame & somewhat near the tire, there should be a 2nd connector

the 3rd connector is inside of the tailgate inspection panel at the tailgate handle

when you pull the connectors apart, first look for bent male pins inside of the connector
Then give the connector a short squirt of Electrical Connector Cleaner, like these

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...ved=0ahUKEwjZ69De46bQAhUns1QKHSKUD68Q_AUIBygC

personally i have been using CRC Lectric Motive, but they also have CRC Electronic Cleaner
I have not changed any shocks or had the exhaust worked on. Just the usual maintenence such as tire and oil changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my truck booked in this Thursday morning. I will let everyone know what the findings are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They called me on Thursday evening telling me my truck was ready to go. Said they had done some software upgrades to my uconnect and hopefully that should be the end of it . I went to pick up on Friday and was told that after they called me on Thursday evening. They went to back it out of the shop and the problem hadn't been fixed. The end result is that they are ordering me a new radio. Should be here in 5 days. I'm hoping I'm getting the uconnect found in the 2016. My wife has the 8.4 in here 2016 jeep GC and it seems to be much more responsive.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Mine did that a few times. I took the negative cable off battery for a min. That fixed it, there like a computer or phone and need rebooted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine did that. When I first got the truck, I didn't close the gate properly and it flopped open when I put it in gear. That happened twice, then my camera went out. My connection failure was behind the inspection plate on the inside of the tailgate. Simple to open, plug back in and close up. Haven't had the issue come back in 120,000kms.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The tailgate module on my truck was replaced to fix the problem of my tailgate opening by itself. Now when it rains the screen goes almost black with poor imaging. The park sense also does a steady sound in reverse when there is no need for it. Once the truck dries, the camera and screen work fine again. I have an appointment at the dealer next week for this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Backup camera issue

Has anyone came across and issue where there backup camera looks like a TV with no antenna? Just looks like a bunch of snow?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sadly, the backup cameras aren't weather sealed that well. I had mine fail last winter. Neighbor is a tech for the dealer and he said they see that a lot. $85 on flebay and some wrenching fixed mine better than the one the truck came with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sadly, the backup cameras aren't weather sealed that well. I had mine fail last winter. Neighbor is a tech for the dealer and he said they see that a lot. $85 on flebay and some wrenching fixed mine better than the one the truck came with.
Would it matter that there was no precipitation when it stopped. It worked at 230am and when out at 345 am with no weather? What are the odds it’s something other than just the camera?? Thank you for responding I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
mine failed in the winter with no regard to precip. once the seal fails; humidity, car washes, and weather begin their work. If it is an electronic issue with yours - it could simply have been a matter of time, and the power surge from start up could have caused a deteriorated component to fail.

now to be clear, mine did not fail with the loss of picture like yours. Mine failed slowly, first getting foggy and loss of color, then about 30% of the image went flat gray and lost all contrast.

The fact that yours is getting signal, and not blank is what gave me thought that it failed. You could always unplug it, and then start the truck again and see if you get a simple blank screen or a error message. If that happens, I'd suspect the camera. If you still get snow - then the fault may lie somewhere else.

getting at the camera isn't hard. unscrew the cover, and you can get at the connector plug with smaller fingers. Should you have to replace it. I found taping a scewdriver bit to a socket to be easier than getting the entire assy out of the tailgate. but I might have just been trying to do it wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine failed in the winter with no regard to precip. once the seal fails; humidity, car washes, and weather begin their work. If it is an electronic issue with yours - it could simply have been a matter of time, and the power surge from start up could have caused a deteriorated component to fail.

now to be clear, mine did not fail with the loss of picture like yours. Mine failed slowly, first getting foggy and loss of color, then about 30% of the image went flat gray and lost all contrast.

The fact that yours is getting signal, and not blank is what gave me thought that it failed. You could always unplug it, and then start the truck again and see if you get a simple blank screen or a error message. If that happens, I'd suspect the camera. If you still get snow - then the fault may lie somewhere else.

getting at the camera isn't hard. unscrew the cover, and you can get at the connector plug with smaller fingers. Should you have to replace it. I found taping a scewdriver bit to a socket to be easier than getting the entire assy out of the tailgate. but I might have just been trying to do it wrong.

Just an update I did decide to just replace the camera and it seems to be back to normal thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here was the situation on my 2014 Ram 1500. Day before yesterday the backup cam worked normal. Yesterday it didn't. Of the numerous times I put the truck in reverse, I got a few different displays on the screen, none normal. Snow, static, solid green and a wonky display that you could barely make out the driveway behind. The final one was the solid light green. Googled the issue and saw it was a known problem, watched a couple of youtube vids, and then came here to the forum and read some replies. I decided to check the easy connections, then take off the access plate on the tailgate and clean the terminals. As I was about to head out I read one more reply in the thread where a guy said he took off the negative battery terminal, then put it back on and it fixed the issue. I thought "hey"! I'd try that first as a path of least resistance. I just did that, and presto zingo zap, problem solved!!....back to normal! For those coming to this thread with the same problem, I highly recommend the negative battery cable disconnect first. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Tam bighorn: I can show video of me driving down the highway, with the blue screens.

I’ll disconnect the battery, see what happens. Related issues: the backup camera never goes off; the screen won’t come on, at all; while driving down the road, the screen will go black/blank or suddenly reboot.

No idea why. Truck is just over a year old, not rough handled.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey all, my back up camera suddenly stopped working just a few days ago. One hour it worked, the next hour it didn't. Haven't had a chance to take it in yet to have it looked at. When I put into reverse, I get the check surroundings message on top of a blacked out screen. Has anyone out there have this happen to them before? I have the 8.4 with GPS. Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem. Try opening the tailgate and then shut it hard. Mine started working again. If that doesn't work, call uconnect. They offered to help on purchas of new camera if truck was under 60K miles

1 - 20 of 43 Posts