DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I know this is a 2011 forum but I'm curious about the ram 1500's 2010 and up. I know people have posted about the sloshing of the fuel when coming to a stop, it almost feels like a slight bump from behind. My question here is has anyone felt a slight thump or clunk during accelerations? My truck from day one has clunked on I'd say 2 out of every five starts from stop when I have over a 1/2 tank of gas. It feels like a clunk in the drive train resembling a bad u joint. Once I get below a half tank the clunk goes away. I have the 32 gal tank. Brought it to dealer with 3/4 of a tank and they heard the thump but couldn't find the issue.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
There have been a few people that have had issues with bad u-joints. I would take it back to them again with less gas and see if it can still be heard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't get truck to make the noise with less then half a tank. Just filled it to 3/4 tank and bam! The noise is back. Dealer hasn't been much help. Only have 450 miles on the truck and have been complaining since day 2 of taking it home. During test drive I didn't notice it I assume because the truck was on E at the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only time I hear my clunks is from 1/2 to 3/4 or so a tank from stopping w/ my 32g fuel tank.. sorta sucks but I've gotten used to easing off at the last second before complete stop and don't have any clunking if I keep doing it that way.

Never heard anyone talk about clunking from acceleration though.

edit: If you're only hearing the clunks from when your fuel is filled to a certain level I'd say it's the fuel tank.. but again I don't know shit about mechanical issues and again I've never heard anyone say they have clunks on acceleration

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same problem. The issue is simply improper baffles in the larger fuel tank. The fuel is just sloshing back and forth. You can get it to happen even by a sudden stop at a coast

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rye did you ever speak to dealership over this? Guess something I'll have to live with til lease is up. Had plans to purchase....not anymore. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this issue too accelerating (hard) and stopping (hard). Didnt notice it until the dealer replaced the rear differential plate (recall). Have since figured out it is the 32 gallon fuel tank. Might try lightening your foot or only filling up a half tank. I've noticed the fuel mileage is better at or under a half tank too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
your decision is changed because of a subtle bump you feel for less then half a second in a narrow range of fuel?
dam

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does this happen with a FULL tank? If it happens with a topped off tank then check the bands holding the tank up to make sure it isn't shifting for some reason. If not then its the fuel sloshing around.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
when you at the bumping point, 1/2 to 3/4 gas tank level

Try going into your EVIC Personal Settings

Turn off your Hill Start Assist & see if it makes a difference

==============================================================

I too used to think it was because of the 32 gallon fuel tank, it does not seem to happen with the smaller tank.

If it were liquid related, why is there only 1 bumping sensation ?
liquid does not only slosh 1 time, you would feel it when it went forward & feel it again when it went back & then repeat again at a lesser sensation

=================================================================

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver when
starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. HSA will maintain
the level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short
period of time after the driver takes their foot off of the
brake pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle
during this short period of time, ( 3 seconds ), the system will release
brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill. The
system will release brake pressure in proportion to
amount of throttle applied as the vehicle starts to move in
the intended direction of travel.

HSA works with all these systems

Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic
brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System
(ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist
System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Roll
Mitigation (ERM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and
Trailer Sway Control (TSC). All of these systems work
together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various
driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as
ESC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too have a 32 gallon tank and have this same thunk sometimes when I come to a stop, and every so often when I take off. Mine seems to happen more between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank. I've got about 29k miles so far and have simply gotten used to this thunk. I've never looked into it as I have always assumed it was fuel rushing from one end to that very long tank to the other end and slamming against the end of the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts