DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking if this is normal rear end sag. I have about 500-600lbs of camping equipment in the back of the truck. Is this an issue with, Springs, Leaf Springs, or shocks.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
It’s normal. These trucks sag easy when a little weight is added in back. I’m sure this bugs you if you’re posting about it. The best fix for that is some aftermarket coil springs in the rear. TufTruck springs are what you want. They have several models to choose from depending on your needs. If you’re not sure which ones to get you can call the company and they will guide you to the ones that will best suite your needs. They are what should have come in the trucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s normal. These trucks sag easy when a little weight is added in back. I’m sure this bugs you if you’re posting about it. The best fix for that is some aftermarket coil springs in the rear. TufTruck springs are what you want. They have several models to choose from depending on your needs. If you’re not sure which ones to get you can call the company and they will guide you to the ones that will best suite your needs. They are what should have come in the trucks.
Thanks, just seems a little low every time I go camping or haul anything. Will have to look into upgrading.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stock springs suck and will have you sagging in no time with just couple of hundred lbs. Do you have a bone stock truck? Do you do offroading? If no plan for a lift you could add airbags. I do offroading with mine, and i have around 500lbs permanently in the back of my truck (37" tire/wheel setup in the bed, steel bumper, swing out carrier etc) so i went with Icon 1.5" springs and 1" Daystar spacer.

Reactions: Lynch_Ram

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Thanks, just seems a little low every time I go camping or haul anything. Will have to look into upgrading.
I’ve had some on my truck for several years now and I highly recommend them. Here’s my truck with about 850 pounds of tools and equipment in the back. There’s no sag at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do some off roading but not enough to justify reservoir shocks. I currently have Bilstein 5100s on the truck with stock springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do some off roading but not enough to justify reservoir shocks. I currently have Bilstein 5100s on the truck with stock springs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Call airlift and get their compressor setup and a set of airbags if you load her often. They aren't very expensive and keep your headlights down on the road. The airbags are a really easy job to do yourself. You don't have to do the compressor if you install a valve to inflate deflate that comes with the kits.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
The stock springs in these trucks are linear rate, not progressive like leaf springs. They give you a nice unloaded ride, but as you see with a few hundred lbs it will be weighed down in the back. I've had Tuftruck 1223V springs in my truck since 2015 and am very happy with them. This is my truck with about 1100 lbs in it and another 400 or so lbs of tongue weight when I moved in 2018.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Just that topper loers yoru trucks OEM springs a good inch or so. Mien does and itlooks liek we have the same A.R.E. Topper.

I went wth 1211 Sprongs but did not want to keep OEM Squishy ride. Moree truck LIke, if keeping the OEM ride is your thing, go with THunderhorse's springs. Keep in mind, they will drop, first couple of inches, like OEM springs, but firm up, as weight is added to them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call airlift and get their compressor setup and a set of airbags if you load her often. They aren't very expensive and keep your headlights down on the road. The airbags are a really easy job to do yourself. You don't have to do the compressor if you install a valve to inflate deflate that comes with the kits.
What set did you recommend specifically?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put the TT1223 on my 19 Ram 4x4. the rear is a couple inches higher than stock even with my Shell and 2-3 hundred in the bed. If I had it to do over. I would stay stock and use air bags for the occasional load. Just my .02
I still haven't raised the front. I would like to but wonder about warranty. My dealer said he would void if leveled. I dont want to hassle with him.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What set did you recommend specifically?
Dont get any silly leaf springs. You'll ruin the ride and the truck is not meant for leaf springs. Just go get an Airlift set up with rear bags. I put some bags on my Power Wagon. Specifically, I got a Airlift Wireless One compressor with Airlift bags and Daystar cradles so I can still use the flex without tearing the bags (If you can, I would use this setup in the 1500 as well). They work like a charm and if anything, they improve the ride even more. I had the shop mount the compressor inside the cab, under the back seat to keep it out of the elements. Its nothing short of awesome. Do it! You wont be sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wasn't sure what was what, except my 1500 squatted excessively under rated tow load. I'm not a believer in slapping in bigger springs, not knowing if the frame is the same or what. So I just went out and got the 2500 instead. I wanted the bigger 6.4 engine anyway, with 3.73 rear end. Since it still had only the 6 speed transmission, I figured that was a good blend of dead head mileage and two capability for my utility trailer loads. Been pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just checking if this is normal rear end sag. I have about 500-600lbs of camping equipment in the back of the truck. Is this an issue with, Springs, Leaf Springs, or shocks.

thanks.
It is like putting that weight in the trunk of a car. A 1500 is a light weight and is more about the ride than the payload. I would consider air bags or air shocks over changing springs. When all is said and done and the weight is out, the ride stays the same. I have a DRW with air bags. Bags are at zero with no load, but it is there when I need it.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I put the TT1223 on my 19 Ram 4x4. the rear is a couple inches higher than stock even with my Shell and 2-3 hundred in the bed. If I had it to do over. I would stay stock and use air bags for the occasional load. Just my .02
I still haven't raised the front. I would like to but wonder about warranty. My dealer said he would void if leveled. I dont want to hassle with him.
Sounds like you got the wrong model of springs. The 1223v’s or 1211’s might have been a better choice for you. As far as leveling the dealer can void your warranty as a result of the truck being leveled unless they can prove the level caused a failure. Then they can only void the repair of that failed part, not the entire truck. If you use new struts to level, like bilstein 5100’s, and you don’t use spacers you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wish monroe made the load control shocks for these trucks. My F150 I could drop 560 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch (no weight distribution) and it would only set down an inch +/- from stock. But yet when unloaded it road just like normal. FYI, this was with a heavy hard tonneau, as well as a 3/4 plywood built slide box and gear (plywood slide and gear most likely about 200 lbs)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts