DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been looking at some tuners "Diablo, Bully Dog, etc", but want to see if anyone here is running them and which ones. Maybe provide some feedback on cost, performance and opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not sure if a tuner will work on an ‘18 due to a firewall to the ECM.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
You'll have to get your PCM unlocked or buy an unlocked one to use a tuner on your truck. I don't believe the tubes are worth the money if you plan on using just the canned tunes. If you get one you'll also want to get a custom tune for it. What are you looking took get out of a tuner?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have to get your PCM unlocked or buy an unlocked one to use a tuner on your truck. I don't believe the tubes are worth the money if you plan on using just the canned tunes. If you get one you'll also want to get a custom tune for it. What are you looking took get out of a tuner?

Most of my traveling is around town and was wondering what tricks I might be able to do to help on gas. I plan to upgrade my exhaust "undecided on brand" as well as an air intake "again undecided on brand" and possibly a TBS. With doing mods like that I would think a new tune may be in order. I owned a 2007 CC Titan LE and did all of those things and a bully dog really opened her up. Just not sure about this new trucks with all the electronics.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.

If you want a CAI, I love the classic aesthetics of the Vararam setup, but it's a bit pricey at $350ish. If I recall correctly, intakes provide gains in the higher RPM's, so for cruising around town and stoplight drags, it's not going to help much. I'm not sold on the noise they make though, here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHN30AL_V4

A tune will help, but it's not cheap because the PCM has to be sent in or you have to buy a second unit to program so you can still drive your truck. If I recall correctly, the PCM's became a PITA in 2015.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
When you say exhaust are you talking just a muffler or headers and high flow cats? Those two would give you gains. Add the air intake to that then get a custom tune and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's for all the reply's. I do like the look the the Vararam so that may be a winner. Exhaust is still in the air as the truck is still new and I just cant see spending a ton of money on that. I need to hit the lotto and just be done with it. Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's for all the reply's. I do like the look the the Vararam so that may be a winner. Exhaust is still in the air as the truck is still new and I just cant see spending a ton of money on that. I need to hit the lotto and just be done with it. Thanks again fellas.

I've got a few mods listed in my sig, the truck performs a lot better and the overall drivability is way better. Probably because I always run my tuner on performance so the increased throttle response and less torque management is nice. For intakes the vararam is the only one I'd consider. IMO it's the only actual "cold" air intake because it sucks in air through the grill. The only downside is that you'll have to clean the filter more often, people complain about fitment but all you need to do is loosen the bracket on the one a/c line and bend it down to get the Vararam to sit flush with the weather stripping.

I'd personally pay the extra and get the unlocked pcm with a hemi fever tune with the trans tuning which I still might do eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts