DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had 3 Ram 1500's, a 1997, 2007 quad 4x4, (traded for a Challenger) & now a 2005 1500 ST. I'm looking at a new Ram and saw online where the 2500's have a ton of colors available. What's the pros & cons of buying a 2500 vs. the 1500's. I don't think the 2500 has a 3.55 rear end, which is the best all around rear end for the 2500, don't want to get killed on gas. What do I gain and lose on a 2500?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There is a thread in here somewhere with all the differences.

But for me it was an easy choice. I need the 2500 for the towing ability.
I could only get the Mega Cab with a 6.5' bed in 2500 whereas the 1500 Mega has the tiny square bed (5' I think?)

Also, It comes with a solid front axle, HUGE brakes, nicer front end look IMO
the 66RFE transmission is a big plus. There are a number of differences in the motor too - sorry cant name them all.
The list is long, but overall the 2500 is naturally a beefier vehicle and I believe it will hold up better in the long run as my intention is to drive this thing over a decade.

The 1500 sport I drove was fantastic though! It really felt like a sports truck.

If I were just buying a truck for light duty and daily driving, I would choose the 1500 Sport. I had a ear to ear grin test driving it :D

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Oh ya, You will pay an extra $200 PER YEAR to register a 2500 truck in California in addition to your regular registration fee for 'weight'. I fuggin hate that BS.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
are you lookin for a daily driver or a tow vehicle? IMHO is you aren't towing and you aren't buying a diesel I'd get the 1500 for it's ride quality and mpgs. there are a bunch of differences but I think it mostly comes down to what you want to use the truck for. btw the 1500 quad cab comes with a 6'4" bed and the 1500 crew cab comes with a 5'7" bed

here is a good thread that was started recently.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105192

·
Registered
16 rebel hemi quad cab
1,289 Posts
Imho even if its a tow vehicle the 1500 is more than good enough especially with ths 3.92s and the hemi if its just a weekend warrior unless you have a horse trailer or something else huge. But also as someone else said the 2500 should be able to hold up longer over the years and the sfa is a bonus as well. If it was me id only go to a 2500 if i was going diesel just or needed a huge cab and full size bed. Just my .02

E

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
are you lookin for a daily driver or a tow vehicle? IMHO is you aren't towing and you aren't buying a diesel I'd get the 1500 for it's ride quality and mpgs. there are a bunch of differences but I think it mostly comes down to what you want to use the truck for. btw the 1500 quad cab comes with a 6'4" bed and the 1500 crew cab comes with a 5'7" bed

here is a good thread that was started recently.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105192
I dont even see the Mega cab available in the 1500 for 2012

When I was looking, you could only get the little bed on the 1500 mega cab and it was a 2011

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I sold a Diesel to get this truck and intentionally got the 2500 with the Hemi. because I was tired of all the little idiosyncrasies of diesels. I tow +/- 10K with the Hemi. and it is surprisingly good - no Great- at it. Diesel is either for someone that just wants the beastly power for shits and giggles or is towing very heavy very often.

And regarding diesel and mileage, well considering its a $10K option and the price of diesel is more than premium (here in CA. anyway) It really doesn't balance out. Yes, I could get a few miles per gallon better when towing, but mixed driving empty was very close to what this new Hemi. is getting.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I dont even see the Mega cab available in the 1500 for 2012

When I was looking, you could only get the little bed on the 1500 mega cab and it was a 2011
I didn't mention the Mega Cab in my post but yes you are correct the MC isn't offered in the 1500 anymore. When they did build a 1500 MC is was on the 2500 frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly the 2500s are a heavy duty truck, that being said you are going to have a rougher ride in the 2500 do to the suspension setup, the gas mileage shouldn't change if you stick with the hemi. In my opinion go with the 3.73 gears if you tow medium to heavy even that will be enough gearing. 4.10 gears should only be used in tow only trucks in my opinion as your hwy rpm will be higher. Not sure if you can get an 8' bed with the new 1500s but I know you can with the 2500s so that is something to think about. Best thing I did to educate myself was go down to the dealership and look at all the different models they have on the lot. :smileup:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
3.73s are probably good if you stick with the stock tire size but if you think you might get a bigger tire down the line I'd get the 4.10s. A gear change later would be expensive.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
GREAT point CHVYKLR. If you Know you're going big on tires, get the 4.10s!

I was thinking about this post today and realized, if you're going to get a 4x4, you might as well get the 2500. If you want a sport truck, get a 1500 sport and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Isaw online where the 2500's have a ton of colors available.
No, they don't. See my "bait and switch" thread. Check with your dealer before you get your heart set on a color on the website - they're not available except -maybe- to fleet purchases.

There are a few in the system from earlier builds on dealer lots (that's where I found my new '11 Light Green truck) - omaha orange is your best bet, there are a number of them out there, but only in 4wd.

Use the ramtrucks.com new inventory search and start poking around if you want one of the special order colors, since they can't be ordered now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion go with the 3.73 gears if you tow medium to heavy even that will be enough gearing. 4.10 gears should only be used in tow only trucks in my opinion as your hwy rpm will be higher.
the '12 2500 has the same 6 speed gearing that the diesel does now - the 4.10 with the hemi, even with stock tires, will be fine.

Do note that for 1500 vs 2500: Expect ~12mpg with the 2500 hemi (14 with the diesel). You have a higher mph possibility with the 1500 - so if you tow infrequently, and don't dump 1+ton of rock or tools in the bed all of the time, and don't need a crew cab w/ 8ft or 6'4 bed, the 1500 might better serve you.

otoh, if you do need a long bed (on anything except a regular cab) or the 5'7 bed is too short for you on a crew (instead of quad) cab, you're stuck with the 2500. And if you're going diesel, the price difference between a SRW 3500 and 2500 is negligible - so that adds a few trucks out there that you can choose from.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well yes, the 2500 is a true heavy duty truck. Like others have said, you can put it to the test and it will last. If I could do it over again, I would go with a 2500 HEMI. But keep in mind with the 2500 HEMI your mpg will be less than a 1500. It's a heavier truck and does not have the MDS. But it would probably be comparable to your old 2007

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
would be interesting to see a MPG comparison between a 2500 hemi and 1500 hemi. I know brad did one a while back on a few 2500's that he has had in the last few years, would be cool too see what the new 2500's will be... the 2500 hemi is 1000 pounds heavier than the 1500. My next truck will be a 2500 with probably a hemi

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Is that right? My 2500 Hemi. is 1000 lbs. more than a comparably equipped 1500? Geez

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To the OP, your story sounds like mine. I have also owned several half tons over the years, and traded a 2007 Quad Cab for a Challenger. About 6 months ago I bought a 2004 3/4 ton with a Cummins. I really bought it just for the heck of it. I do on occasion tow and haul a heavy load. I'm like a lot of people since there were times I was overloading my half ton. With the 3/4 ton, you don't have to worry about that as much. My truck is my driver in the winter when I put the Challenger away, and this time I wanted a truck that would last me about 10 years. I got an older one just so I didn't have to worry about the EGR, DPF, exhaust fluid, or any of the emmisions stuff.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
What's the pros & cons of buying a 2500 vs. the 1500's?

You can't get the Power Wagon in a 1500... :158:

If I were going with a 3/4 ton truck, then I'd have to go the PW route... though I have no need for either 4X$ or 3/4 ton truck...

Exco

·
Registered
88 Posts
would be interesting to see a MPG comparison between a 2500 hemi and 1500 hemi. I know brad did one a while back on a few 2500's that he has had in the last few years, would be cool too see what the new 2500's will be... the 2500 hemi is 1000 pounds heavier than the 1500. My next truck will be a 2500 with probably a hemi
My '12 2500 hemi doesn't do nearly as well as the 1500s that I read about here. Empty I get 12-14 MPG around town and 15-17 for long freeway trips. Loaded with 1200lbs (plow + ballast) I still get in the 11s.

Curiously I've had the weight in and out of the bed this winter because there's not much snow, and I'm starting to suspect I get *better* mileage with 400lbs in the bed than without. Maybe I'll start another thread on that...

US Gallons, 89 octane, E-10

1 - 20 of 20 Posts