DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2500 and they came with the stock Firestone tires. I want to run either winter tires or an all weather as living in Canada the winters don't permit a all terrain or mud tire year round......or do they???

Help me out with some suggestions of what you put on your Heavy Duty truck and the experience you had with them in all conditions including wear!

I have been looking at the BFG KO2 and NITTO Exo Grapplers thus far.

Cheers everyone!!!https://www.ramforumz.com/images/smilies/smileup.gif

·
Registered
273 Posts
Willhiem,Most of my family with the Rams have been running the Michelin Defender LTX or the LTX AT2. on are 2500 4X4 6ft bed crew cabs. I'm a great fan of the Michelin tires have had good luck with them they are expensive but like the way they handle pulling are trailers and the do very well in the snow and on ice I'm in eastern Oregon and we can have some nasty weather and they handle them well also we run the E rate which is a 10 ply. also they don't pickup rocks and run very quite hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
Carol

·
8,090 Posts
I'm not sure what the rules are in Alberta specifically but in BC I can run M+S tires year round no problem. They just have to meet the minimum tread depth requirements. I'm not sure if the stock Firestones are M+S rated though.

I have a couple friends running the Toyo CT's which are a snowflake approved tire; they run over the Coquihalla throughout the winter and love the tires. I run Toyo MT's and have been very happy with them as well. If I was going to go with a snowflake approved tire, the Toyo CT's would be my choice for sure.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I think it depends on the province for you. I have had very good luck with KO2s and have around 54,000 miles on mine, but from what I've seen they don't last that long on HDs. My buddy has an 09 Cummins and only got 30k out of his KO2s; you don't have the Cummins so yours will probably last longer with less front axle weight. IME the KO2s do well in the limited amount of snow I've driven in.

Michelins are pretty universally praised for traction and longevity so I'd probably got that route with a 2500

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the KO2s on my previous Ram....they were totally worn out at 20k miles. I rotate every 5000 miles. I now run Cooper Discoverer AT3s (siped) and find them a good year around tire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone looking at running the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's? I'm looking at a set of these for my 2500 up here in Fairbanks Alaska, just they are so new that no one has had them in the snow yet. Also pondering what size to run either go up to 295/60/20's or stay stock. No level kit and stock rims just wonder how big I can go without rub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought Quebec was the only province that mandated only tires with the severe service winter tire symbol (peaked mountain with snowflake inside) could be used on Quebec highways in winter months. That being said a few tire manufactures are now marketing All Terrain tires with the severe service symbol and branding them as All Weather tires like Toyo AT2 AW, General Grabber ATP, Goodyear Duratrac AW, BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2 and Pirelli Scorporin All Terrain Plus to name a few.....

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I just bought a 2500 and they came with the stock Firestone tires. I want to run either winter tires or an all weather as living in Canada the winters don't permit a all terrain or mud tire year round......or do they???

Help me out with some suggestions of what you put on your Heavy Duty truck and the experience you had with them in all conditions including wear!

I have been looking at the BFG KO2 and NITTO Exo Grapplers thus far.

Cheers everyone!!!https://www.ramforumz.com/images/smilies/smileup.gif
Take a look at the Cooper Discoverer X/T4's, Severe snow rated and they are designed to run year round. Used to be called ATW's. First set I got 60,000 miles out of them. 'E'- rated tires if your looking for them.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=...aw1ljp9kCtC7ykTv83XcFYjF&ust=1541347429391822

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak LT winter tire

I have run Bridgestone Blizzak LT winter tires for about the last 20+ years.

I have a second set of rims with the Blizzack's on that I put on when the weather gets bad enough. For not being studded they grip icy roads very well. In addition to the siping the tread compound has a cell structure that is like little suction cups as the tire wears.

I had property in the Tug Hill area of NY where we get about 300+ inches of snow in the winter. Never had a problem with traction. I could take my hands off the wheel and slam on the brakes and the truck stopped straight and under control with the ABS pulsing like crazy.

I run them for about 5 months out of the year. I generally get about three years out of the set. They do wear quicker than others, but they grip. To me not crashing or getting injured is more important than the difference in cost over the life of the tire.

The Transforce AT tires that came on my 2500 where terrible in snow conditions. When they wear out I will replace them probably with Michelin's for summer use.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I don't know about Canadian rules concerning tires

I recall when this company seemed to be one of the better re-cappers for winter & lower prices

https://www.treadwright.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts