DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my tow needs are not that big (max 3000 pounds) I'm going for the RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Quad Cab: 3,450 pounds Max capacity with the 3.92 gear and class IV hitch, also added the break assist.

Does anyone here have a RAM with that engine ? how does it behave in any situation (hauling or not)

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think I heard on the radio today dodge is doing no extra charge for the hemi this month... I have the hemi an love it and highly suggest to get the hemi, but maybe I say that b/c it was the most important thing to me when I was picking mine out

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
underpowered and gets approx. the same mpg as a hemi. it will be replaced by the pentastar engine next year. i would stay away from it, better to have more truck and not need it than to have to little and need it. might want to compare what you are looking at to an express model, or wait for the models.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
underpowered and gets approx. the same mpg as a hemi. it will be replaced by the pentastar engine next year. i would stay away from it, better to have more truck and not need it than to have to little and need it. might want to compare what you are looking at to an express model, or wait for the models.

One of the thing here in Quebec is that you pay your license plate according to the engine size. Anything higher than 4.0L you pay extra. When you reach 5.2L you pay the maximum. Which means at least 150$ extra every year to have the 5.7 HEMI plus the fact that I know for a fact that I don't need to pull 10,000 pounds. Finally, this is my every day transportation from home to my office. Trailer will be used less than 5% of the time.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
we pay more in new jersey for registration on trucks also. the new penastar engine is a 3.6 and will get you a few extra mpgs. if you can wait for them to them to drop the prices on the 3.7 to make room for the new models, you may save some big bucks.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
You won't see any 2013 models on the showroom floor before late August

So the first BIG sale on the 2012s will be around September, Canadian Labour Day

A friend of mine has the 2009 3.7L & he likes it for his needs, it is in his 2004 Ram with stick shift, engine came out of a 2009 Jeep

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we pay more in new jersey for registration on trucks also. the new penastar engine is a 3.6 and will get you a few extra mpgs. if you can wait for them to them to drop the prices on the 3.7 to make room for the new models, you may save some big bucks.

Mine is already ordered... Saved over 11k so far on it... A first rebate of 9,750$ + 1400$ saved on extra accessories... In fact I wanted to have the feeling of someone who already own one, but thanks for all your great ouput :smileup:

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,093 Posts
I don't have a 4th gen but I have a 2008 with the 3.7L and I'm very happy with it for what I need and how I use my truck. My truck is a regular cab, 3.55 gears, class IV hitch. I've just pulled small utility type trailers, not a lot of weight and I've had no problem but I do more hauling than towing and I know I'm somewhat limited with the 3.7 but I don't feel limited, and again, for how I use my truck, it suits my needs and has enough power for what I need. Acceleration while under a load doesn't feel like a struggle, getting up to speed it's smooth and doesn't feel hesitant. Fuel mileage wise, I average 15-16 mpg's mixed driving but mainly highway. That's odd, paying more for a bigger engine like that but good luck, I'm not disappointed at all with my truck and hope you won't be, either. :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a 4th gen but I have a 2008 with the 3.7L and I'm very happy with it for what I need and how I use my truck. My truck is a regular cab, 3.55 gears, class IV hitch. I've just pulled small utility type trailers, not a lot of weight and I've had no problem but I do more hauling than towing and I know I'm somewhat limited with the 3.7 but I don't feel limited, and again, for how I use my truck, it suits my needs and has enough power for what I need. Acceleration while under a load doesn't feel like a struggle, getting up to speed it's smooth and doesn't feel hesitant. Fuel mileage wise, I average 15-16 mpg's mixed driving but mainly highway. That's odd, paying more for a bigger engine like that but good luck, I'm not disappointed at all with my truck and hope you won't be, either. :)

- Cajun
Thank you...

Even if your RAM isn't a 4th gen, I do beleive the 3.7L is the same... That engine hasn't been modify in a while. The only difference will be the 3.92 gears and the fact that I have a Quab Cab (overall weight) but again, shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts