DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took deliver of my 5500 the very end of last year. I have noticed consistently (as in even after the hour drive home from the dealer) after a long drive on straight roads, a slight shudder from the rear end when turning. At first I attributed it to the Limited slip clutch discs needing to break in. However I have noticed no decrease in severity as time has passed. The truck will have 15,000 miles on it probably the middle of this week.
Yesterday I towed a roughly 19,000 gooseneck 200 miles for a buddy, almost all highway. When we got to his place I had to back the trailer up loaded on asphalt and as I did you could hear and FEEL the shudder/ratcheting from the rear axle. After unloading went to back the trailer across grass to park it and it was still making noises almost like a trailer brake being stuck. My body walked from wheel to wheel on the trailer and couldn't note anything. As soon as he touched the rear truck tire he told me to swap places and feel the "jump" in the tire. On the damp grass the rear wheels could now slip and where ratcheting or popping a 1/8-3/16" every couple of inches of travel until the truck and trailer were straight then no more vibration/ shudder/ ratcheting.

Is this the limited slip as I've suspected? Anyone else experience it/ how normal is it? Or is it as I, beginning to suspect a bigger issue that will require time in the shop? I'd like to bring it in to be documented but this is also a work truck that I can't have sitting eitherwether it's broken or waiting to get fixed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only 1500 has clutch limited slip, HD has helical gears
Did not realize that, looked up some parts diagrams and leaves me really wondering what is causing these symptoms. I'll have to make an appointment for it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Only 1500 has clutch limited slip, HD has helical gears

What he said.

I'm otherwise not super familiar with the HDs, maybe the LSD is engaging and the shudder is the tires scrubbing :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not saying it's normal, But I have noticed all the 4500/5500 Rams at work have the exact same thing when turning loaded heavily. Maybe it's normal? Sure feels like it shouldn't however!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It could be the traction control making up for any slippage that it picks up from side to side and engaging the front wheel drive to compensate. This was the way the dealer mechanic explained it to me on my 15 1500. It is only noticeable on sharp turns.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah usually when TC is on I want my eyes on the road. Maybe the wife could look for the light

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2017 5500 does the exact same shuddering on sharpe turns when towing 5th wheel. Never noticed a TC light to ever show during the time it happened. Once straight it stops. Was there ever a final answer on what causes this or is it an issue to be concerned with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took deliver of my 5500 the very end of last year. I have noticed consistently (as in even after the hour drive home from the dealer) after a long drive on straight roads, a slight shudder from the rear end when turning. At first I attributed it to the Limited slip clutch discs needing to break in. However I have noticed no decrease in severity as time has passed. The truck will have 15,000 miles on it probably the middle of this week.
Yesterday I towed a roughly 19,000 gooseneck 200 miles for a buddy, almost all highway. When we got to his place I had to back the trailer up loaded on asphalt and as I did you could hear and FEEL the shudder/ratcheting from the rear axle. After unloading went to back the trailer across grass to park it and it was still making noises almost like a trailer brake being stuck. My body walked from wheel to wheel on the trailer and couldn't note anything. As soon as he touched the rear truck tire he told me to swap places and feel the "jump" in the tire. On the damp grass the rear wheels could now slip and where ratcheting or popping a 1/8-3/16" every couple of inches of travel until the truck and trailer were straight then no more vibration/ shudder/ ratcheting.

Is this the limited slip as I've suspected? Anyone else experience it/ how normal is it? Or is it as I, beginning to suspect a bigger issue that will require time in the shop? I'd like to bring it in to be documented but this is also a work truck that I can't have sitting eitherwether it's broken or waiting to get fixed.
Did you ever figure it out I have an 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 that seems to have a tire lock up when your taken off with the steering wheel turned its like that tire was slipping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts