DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has a fiberglass ram air hood on it which is designed to be functional. There's a cut-out right above the stock air box and I've been toying around with the idea of making it fully functional. I wanted to consult all you "experts" out here to see what you think and help me sort through the pro's and con's to doing it.

Here's my original plan: Alter the stock air box lid to fit the opening of the ram air inlet and add weatherstripping around the top of the lid to help "seal" the hood to the air box top. Replace the stock filter with a K&N drop-in to help weed out any moisture and improve airflow.

Since my truck's a daily driver, should I worry about moisture, etc. from rain?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I got lucky my volant had an optional ram air scoopfor my hood,but It sounds like fabrication Is your next step sounds like fun,Goodluck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else have any input or experience with functional ram air?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't know if this will help with your needs, but, there is a website called RamAirHood that has a few images & other info

https://www.ramairhood.com/photo_gallery/dodge/02-04_dodge_ram/02-04_dr_gallery.htm
Well, their setups are all different to the way my hood is. I guess if I knew who manufactured my hood, I could look up their site and see if they had something similar to that site... That's pretty helpful, though, just not for my hood.

Thanks for the effort, though!

·
Registered
11,861 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
HOLY $375 for the ram-air upgrade for the 4.7L!

I think I just might stick with the DIY method of making my hood functional, though. lol

I'm still looking for input from others with functional ram-air experience though... Pro's and con's, etc.

No problem, it's a really nice hood IMO. It looks really nice, without going over the top crazy.
Thanks! I thought the same thing when I first saw it. It's aggressive looking but not gawdy!

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I had a CAI on my truck before I installed my Suncoast ram air hood, I had to modify the underside of my hood and the heatshield of my CAI to get it to fit, but it works great. I don't ahve any issues with water with mine since it's got several small holes at the back of the flow channel to let the water run out into non-essential areas. You can modify the stock air box and add a K&N drop in filter, or just modify the CAI to fit.

Here's my hood modification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts