DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I remember talking to my colleagues from the US (I'm working for GE Healthcare here in Germany) - and they were pretty interested in what it means to own and drive a car in Germany because we have a lot of regulations here.

I like to spend some lines on my thoughts about that - as I'm planning to have a RAM in 2012 or 2013.

1. The car itself
A Dodge RAM isn't sold officially in Germany. Acutally, NO Dodge is available in Germany anymore. We were able to have some of them (Journey, Caliber) here when DaimlerChrysler was still one company - but official Dodge-Dealer (which were usually integrated into mayor Mercedes-Dealerships) were closed down when Daimler sold Chrysler again.

So, you have to import a RAM either by yourself (which seems to be very very hard) or you have to buy it at a specialized dealership (in Germany there are maybe 5 well known over here). Why we need a special dealership seems very simple: They do all the paperwork for you as well as they "rebuild" parts of the RAM in order to use it here in Germany.

Whats about the paperwork: Well, because the car isn't sold officially in Germany every single RAM needs to be tested if it suits the regulatorys here. What I know, following things have to be done:
- Rewiring of lights:
-- The yellow lights in the front (I know they are always on in the US (I think?)) need to be turned of and just used as turning lights
-- The reversing-lights in the back need to be changed to turning lights
-- The breaking-lights (which, I think, are used as turning lights) need to be changed so that they don't blink when you use the turn signal
-- A additional reversing-light will be mounted (usually) to the back of the car
-- A additional rear fog light will be mounted (usually on the other side of the car)
-- If you think about towing something, of course the whole electrics for a trailer must be changed as well - in Europe, we're using a 13-Pin-Connector (a round one) - and, of course, electrical brake for the Trailer is not allowed...(and no trailer is sold in Germany with this equipment) ^^
and so on...... - I think I'm still not through completely....thats just the starting...

Due to a RAM not beeing sold in Germany officially, the car has no classification in insurance - so you're just able to do a insurance by weight (the cheapest for myself would be 1600 $ per year).

Furthermore, due to not beeing sold, the company who does all these changes to the car need to have a sample certificate, done by one example-truck which will be teared down to all specifications by special civil servants - and they have to pay a high amount for that certificate.

-> At this stage, you're able to drive the RAM in Germany..

......but what about the Gas-Prices:

In Germany (due to a special environmental tax which is 1,26$ per Gallon, and another tax of 4,51$ per Gallon) we have to pay (at the moment) 8,40$ per Gallon. So, I think you know what it means to drive a RAM over here....

.....but, there is a option for us, so called "AutoGas" or "LPG" - this system can be orderd at the most companys which do all the stuff to your RAM - so you just have to pay 4,20$ per Gallon of AutoGas.

So wrap everything up:

You have to buy a RAM which is equipped with all the things you need for
68866,89$ (it's a real example) - you're allowed to drive it in Germany and pay about 5 $ per Gallon to have fun.... (I forgot the federal tax for that car which is about another 830$ a year)...

Could somebody tell me why I still want that car....??

I know........because of that big and fat grin of myself when you drove down that car in the streets of munich, between all that small european cars.... =) :LOL:

(Sorry, mods - if thats the wrong Sub-Forum for my thoughts)

·
Registered
111 Posts
there are a lot of Dodge Ram in Germany believe me, either in Switzerland as i got mine.

schau am besten mal hier rein: www.dodge-forum.eu :Hey:

My ram has original red turning lights and is approved by swiss laws.
also other things are mostly original and i think there wasnt really much to change.

Get an eye open, there are loads of guys doing the import and TüV for you directly in germany.

i bought mine in april 2011 and believe me i would never ever give it away again.
I'm driving around 3500km per month and who cares, it's a own world of car feeling :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are a lot of Dodge Ram in Germany believe me, either in Switzerland as i got mine.

schau am besten mal hier rein: www.dodge-forum.eu :Hey:

My ram has original red turning lights and is approved by swiss laws.
also other things are mostly original and i think there wasnt really much to change.

Get an eye open, there are loads of guys doing the import and TüV for you directly in germany.
I'm already a member as well on the other dodge-forum ;) - the Germans are not very amused about the red turning lights - I think, Büsching, Wittkopp and Geiger are changing them... - I heard everything from a friend of mine who bought his in Munich a few weeks ago (I think you know where from) :Wow1:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts