DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see RAM has discontinued all cash rebates for the new Longhorn trucks. They do have a lease special with 2.5% for 36 months. Does anyone know more about leasing than I and can tell me if the lease is a good deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dealer just emailed me. He tells me the $1000 is still there, they just left it off the RAM website.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
My 2 cents. I will never lease as I keep my cars/trucks a long time and DO NOT want payments forever ! I see no good tax advantage either unless it is a business ! Also you mileage is limited ! You go over and they hose you big time. Any damage they also ding you ! Unless cash is tight and there is another way to get a good Truck then maybe! NOw I have never leased so this is just my opinion,hopefully someone who has leased chimes in with first hand info...

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I have talked to a friend that told me that for a Lease to really work for the customer is to form a Corporation & then lease under the corporate name

I would not lease a vehicle because the mileage restrictions are to limiting

A guy here in San Diego had 2 homes, one locally, the other 400 miles away in Tucson Az.
He thought that his wife could drive the lease during the week & once a month they could drive the rental over to Tucson.
He found that his plans went sideways, the 800 mile round trip, plus his wifes trips to work & back, put the mileage over what the lease plan would allow without incurring penalties

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My 2014 was a lease and my 2016 is a lease. I'm at 46,000 miles on my 2016 and my lease was for 3 years / 36,000 miles. My lease expires in January 2019.

I leased because I didn't want to buy into a 100k+ mile used truck for the equivalent of my current lease payment. I added max-care lifetime warranty to the truck at the time I signed; good luck with a good warranty on a vehicle with mileage in my price range. I could afford to finance the full price of a new truck, I just can't justify that high of a payment; maintaining liquid assets is important to me as a homeowner.

When my lease is up, I know what my truck will cost to buy and I know what the history of the truck is. For me, the lease was really a way to extend financing if I liked the truck enough to keep it, or, a way to send it off to a new owner if I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I really wish I would have opted for the 3.92 gears for the added GCWR, but I'm still just below the GCWR limits and the truck has done everything I have asked of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2014 was a lease and my 2016 is a lease. I'm at 46,000 miles on my 2016 and my lease was for 3 years / 36,000 miles. My lease expires in January 2019.

I leased because I didn't want to buy into a 100k+ mile used truck for the equivalent of my current lease payment. I added max-care lifetime warranty to the truck at the time I signed; good luck with a good warranty on a vehicle with mileage in my price range. I could afford to finance the full price of a new truck, I just can't justify that high of a payment; maintaining liquid assets is important to me as a homeowner.

When my lease is up, I know what my truck will cost to buy and I know what the history of the truck is. For me, the lease was really a way to extend financing if I liked the truck enough to keep it, or, a way to send it off to a new owner if I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I really wish I would have opted for the 3.92 gears for the added GCWR, but I'm still just below the GCWR limits and the truck has done everything I have asked of it.
well said,

same boat here. leased my 2018 for what i was paying on a nissan altima. got 15k miles a year which will cover me. great deal with better rebates than a finance. and with my buyout my all in payments plus buyout is still a great deal. just stretching payments to put less strain on bank account. this coming from a guy that was pro-buy/ anti-lease too and now have 2 leases in the driveway lol.
best part is i get to know the truck for 3 years before making a longer commitment. say you get a problematic truck lease ends give it back. you get a good one you buy it out and keep it.
win win in my book for MY NEEDS.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are many benefits to leasing. Do your own research. Unfortunately, when you talk to ppl, like me, who a lease wouldn't work for.......you may not see the positives.

I see some guys have given you some positives and I agree with them. I see some guys have given you some negatives and I agree with them. It's all about your individual needs. I have coworkers who only ever lease because they love having new cars every 3-4 years.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I bought mine last month they were still offering the 0% financing (purchase, not lease) for 36 months. Hard to beat.

Neurobit

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I bought mine last month they were still offering the 0% financing (purchase, not lease) for 36 months. Hard to beat.

Neurobit
Literally ended the _day_ before I bought mine (yesterday). So annoyed. Oh well it'll motivate me to pay it off by next year...I'm allergic to paying interest lol.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That would only make the payments like $1200 a month Neurobit? You must be loaded!

Not if you put a down payment on it :thk:

Small or $0 down payments are a surefire way to pay a ton of money in interest and have a long financing term, and make it easy to get upside down. No thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
I fully agree with ThunderHorse. Put a good down payment and seek out a good interest loan. If possible payoff ASAP. Even if you lease you have put a down payment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fully agree with ThunderHorse. Put a good down payment and seek out a good interest loan. If possible payoff ASAP. Even if you lease you have put a down payment.
You dont HAVE to but it'll keep payments lower. And if you put cash down on a lease its actually not a good idea as if it's totaled that moneys gone as insurance payments go to lease company not you. On a finance it'll then benefit you regardless.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You are right on a lease, you do not need to put down a front end payment. But I think your lease monthly amount will be higher. I personally do not want to lease as an individual. If a company or corp. I can see the benefits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Literally ended the _day_ before I bought mine (yesterday). So annoyed. Oh well it'll motivate me to pay it off by next year...I'm allergic to paying interest lol.
I'm with you. I always get a 5 year note but pay it off in 2 1/2 to 3. I hate paying interest.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I'm with you. I always get a 5 year note but pay it off in 2 1/2 to 3. I hate paying interest.

A lot of the time you can get 0% APR on a 36 mo loan but not on a 60 mo. If you really hate interest then it pays to play with term lengths and see what they'll do for you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts