DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello I am new here, I was having same issues as mentioned above in previous post. mine however was a cylinder #3 misfire. after tearing it down and pulling the intake lifter on #3 I found the roller slap wore out. I thought I had the culprit. after installing new lifters and new heads from Arrington I rotated the engine just to watch #3 not operate at all. so my guess is that cam lobe is also wore out. keep in mind I have over 260,000 miles on my truck.
my question is has anyone performed the cam install at home and do the lifters still lock into place with a 1/2 turn of the cam as they did in the 3rd gen hemi?

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
I just had this same issue happen to my 09 with 75000 on it. First started ticking for about a week then misfire on Cyl #4. Took it in and Lifter to Cam failure.
I would like to get some numbers on how many of these there are and bring a class action lawsuit against Chrysler.
My truck is out of warranty and they refuse to cover anything, not even the labor only. $4300 fix.... This will be my last Chrysler product of any kind! This engine only had 75000 miles on it!!!! When I called Chrysler to speak to customer service they told me that my truck had the original engine replaced 4 months after new. They didn't tell why, but wouldn't doubt if this was the issue then too. What a poor company.... they know they have defective parts or designs and they will not stand behind their products. This should be a recall!!!

If you have had this issue with your 5.7 hemi, chime in!
How is an '09 out of warranty with only 75,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone with high mileage 13 and up have this issue or was it fixed?

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
I'm only at 52,000 miles on my 2013. Problem free

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here. ~117k on the clock and I've always had a tick in the motor. It got worse last week. I assumed it was a broken valve spring. After stopping for gas I had a weak restart, almost as if the battery was dead for a few seconds then turned over fine. Next day on the way to work, engine light on, misfire on cylinder 2. OK called a dealer to see what it would cost ofr a worse case scenarion to replace the valve springs if that's what it was. ~ 1300 plus.
Mind you it took half the day calling 3 dealers to speak to an advisor, all went to voice mail and none returned my call.
I dropped it off at my brothers shop for him to pull the covers...All springs good. He noticed the exhaust valve wasn't opening as the others were. He suspected a bad lifter but had to remove the head.
Head off and the diagnosis is a bad lifter, roller bearing seized that destroyed the cam.
Shit happens but I am extremely disappointed in Dodge/Ram!!
I thought their trucks were tough? I'm finding out that their trucks are nothing but junk and it's only a matter of time until it leaves you stranded!
I have never been stranded like this before of all the years driving.
Maybe I need to go back to BMW or try a Ford.
Ram trucks are pretty butto me is a truck I cannot trust anymore wondering what will happen next.

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
There have been a couple instances of seized lifter rollers taking out cam lobes, IIRC most of them if not all are 2011s. I thought you just needed to pull the intake to get the lifters out, not the heads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the cam has to be replaced so the most of it has to come out including the head.
Dealer charges for parts are totally insane, I have a bitter taste in my mouth on their prices but I need the truck back as soon as possible so I'm paying through my nose for it. I found the parts online for half the price of the dealers. So sick to my stomach but what can ya do....I have to keep moving forward.

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
There was another member posting about this problem on his 2012. It may have been a run of bad lifters in late 2011 that were put in some 2012s.

I haven't seen it on an 09 and there are a few 4th gen Hemis over 300,000 miles or in the upper 200k range so I think its more of a bad batch issue than one of bad design

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the cam/lifter failure on my 2011, in early December 2015. I was driving down the freeway in Dallas, and all of sudden, when I started to accelerate, the truck shook like it was about to fall apart, and the check engine light started flashing, and was accompanied by a dinging alarm. When I would hold steady speed or would let it coast some, it was smooth.

I was in the middle of 5pm rush hour, out of town, in Dallas. I was NOT going to stop on the side of the road at this point. I figure, whatever just happened, was probable not going to get a whole lot worse if I pampered it. I limped it to the nearest Dodge dealer and dropped it off, and got a rental car to finish my trip.

I went in to the dealer the next morning, and they said it was a cam/lifter failure. Oh crap! I just rolled 101,014 miles!! The power-train warranty was officially over. They told me it would cost me $4300! What?? I asked for the phone number to Chrysler warranty center, and after 45 minutes on the phone with them...going back and forth between me, the service writer and the service manager, Chrysler agreed to cover it under the power-train warranty! God is good!

I came back to Dallas 3 days later to pick it up, and it wasn't finished yet. I got to go out and talk to the technician and see the engine torn down to the small block. He showed me the cam and failed lifter. The roller on the lifter seized-up, and began the wear on the cam lobe. It was the exhaust valve, so when I would try to accelerate, there wasn't any place for the exhaust gas to go. I'm very lucky none of the valves were bent.

Chrysler did me solid on covering it under warranty. They even replaced a noisy PS pump at no charge. Awesome! Now, I just need to replace a broken exhaust stud on the passenger side-rear. The exhaust leak is starting to get worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chrysler's power train warranty is 100k miles. I was 1014 miles over. When the service writer told me that it wasn't covered, I told him that I want to appeal that to Chrysler. He gave me an 800 number, and I took the initiative and called them on my cell phone while standing in the service dept. I told the guy at Chrysler that this failure was obviously beginning before the 100K warranty was up, and had just manifested itself at that point.

He agreed that it does take a while to reach that point, and that they couldn't prove that it all occurred after the 100K milestone. I think they had to negotiate with the dealer (Rockwall Dodge) on labor, etc., but they covered it fully. The guys at Rockwall Dodge in Rockwall, TX are awesome. Even though I live in the Houston area, I will try to give them my business first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weeeeeeeelllllp, I will go ahead (as my first post) and keep this thread going. Last Friday coming home from work, I felt MDS kick in, and about 5 seconds later heard an audible pop noise, and the truck immediately started shuttering violently at speed and with throttle. As soon as I would let off the throttle, it would smooth out slightly, but any application of throttle made it almost impossible to drive. A quick scan at home initially had a pending code P1416 which was a CYL 6 deactivation failure (MDS). The next day, I started it up cold, and the miss/shuttering was still there and I got an actual CEL...with a CYL #6 misfire code. My truck FYI is a 2011 5.7L with 96,004 miles on the clock.

Brought it down to to have the head pulled, and the intake pushrod was bent at 30 degrees or so, the rocker arm had slid off completely, and the lifter had seized/cam lobe completely gouged to hell.

I'm curious to know, in resurrecting this thread...for those of you who just did a lifter and cam swap, how has your truck been after the change? I'm convinced these failures are due to the MDS system--specifically the MDS lifters in the 5.7L motor....either an eventual blockage in the oil passages which keeps the hydraulic lifters from operating properly (and eventually seizing up) or just the MDS solenoids failing and causing a brief misfire which slams a valve and/or rod, thus collapsing/unseating a lifter.

My plan is swapping out ALL of my lifters to NON-MDS type, and programming MDS from coming on at all moving forward. This is an EXPENSIVE recurring issue!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to share a follow up to my previous post. Here is the game plan to remedy the MDS lifter and cam failure in my 2011 5.7L Ram.

Going to completely disable the MDS system. When you read online, most posts say/recommend the easiest way to do this is with a tuner/programming: most predators or SCT's will have an option to disable MDS.

I am taking this a step further as this does not fix the problem, MECHANICALLY speaking. The MDS lifters are complete crap and I suspect one of the main causes for not only the "hemi-tick" but also for the cam/valve/rod failures you guys are all seeing here. After some recon, I came across this kit (see pic below): MOPAR Non-MDS conversion kit 5.7 part# 312-53021720AEK

This will effectively do two things beyond just programming MDS system off:

1) It will replace the cylinders that are currently supported by MDS-style lifters with NON-MDS style (1-piece like the 6.1L)

2) the plugs are for removing and capping the holes where the MDS solenoids (which are just oil control valves).

After speaking with a gentleman over at HHP, technically the solenoids don't have to be removed since programming MDS off through a tuner effectively renders them inert. But to truly "remove" MDS from your motor, this kit is the ticket!

Will post progress as it becomes available. The crazy thing in all of this - after speaking directly with several people at Chrysler, NO ONE can give me an answer as to whether what/if anything changed in the design of these motors between 2010-2012 and 2013+ that potentially improved the design or configuration of this clusterF. Per this thread, the failures seem to predominantly be around the 2010-2012 model years, which seems to trend to a design flaw (although could also just be 2013+ newer havent hit the mileage yet where these failures start to happen....who knows!)

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
Wanted to share a follow up to my previous post. Here is the game plan to remedy the MDS lifter and cam failure in my 2011 5.7L Ram.

Going to completely disable the MDS system. When you read online, most posts say/recommend the easiest way to do this is with a tuner/programming: most predators or SCT's will have an option to disable MDS.

I am taking this a step further as this does not fix the problem, MECHANICALLY speaking. The MDS lifters are complete crap and I suspect one of the main causes for not only the "hemi-tick" but also for the cam/valve/rod failures you guys are all seeing here. After some recon, I came across this kit (see pic below): MOPAR Non-MDS conversion kit 5.7 part# 312-53021720AEK

This will effectively do two things beyond just programming MDS system off:

1) It will replace the cylinders that are currently supported by MDS-style lifters with NON-MDS style (1-piece like the 6.1L)

2) the plugs are for removing and capping the holes where the MDS solenoids (which are just oil control valves).

After speaking with a gentleman over at HHP, technically the solenoids don't have to be removed since programming MDS off through a tuner effectively renders them inert. But to truly "remove" MDS from your motor, this kit is the ticket!

Will post progress as it becomes available. The crazy thing in all of this - after speaking directly with several people at Chrysler, NO ONE can give me an answer as to whether what/if anything changed in the design of these motors between 2010-2012 and 2013+ that potentially improved the design or configuration of this clusterF. Per this thread, the failures seem to predominantly be around the 2010-2012 model years, which seems to trend to a design flaw (although could also just be 2013+ newer havent hit the mileage yet where these failures start to happen....who knows!)

Looking forward to your updates, I didn't realize there was a kit.

I personally do not have a problem with MDS because I do not believe it is a design issue, I think it is a manufacturing issue with 2010-2012 (primarily 2011) lifters. The changes made in 2013+ involve eliminating the hydraulic power steering equipment because they went to electric for 2013, so i do not believe that has anything to do with it. Furthermore, most of these failures seem to be under 100,000 miles (fortunately still within warranty for most), and there are several members here with 200,000+, 250,000+, and even 300,000+ miles on their '09+ Hemis which are definitely the same as 2010-2012 engines.

You could be right that it will become an issue for 2013+ owners and just hasn't shown itself because they don't have as many miles on them yet, but we will have to wait and see. I'll hit 65,000 miles on mine by Christmas.

I am not sure offhand which cylinders deactivate with MDS so I have not paid attention to whether these lifter failures are all MDS lifters. Do you know if that's the case?

·
Registered
15,597 Posts
at what mileage does this occur? plenty of 10 threw 12 models are up there in mileage without an issue. i would think there may have been a bad batch is some trucks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wanted to bump this up as the dealer has my truck right now and still investigating. I brought it in for a Misfire in Cyl #1 code.

It would throw a code and misfire cylinder along with a knocking noise at higher RPMs

Changed plugs, changed coil, Dealer inspected valve springs. They are now thinking it's a camshaft ( that a lifter link wore into ? - forgot what was said exactly )

But, they are waiting on approval from my aftermarket " Max Care " warranty. Anybody go through a similar issue and have problems with max care warranty? Truck has 120k on it. Service dept. says they need to send some measurements of the cam shaft to the warranty dept. to see if they will change it out or not, Can anybody elaborate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wanted to bump this up as the dealer has my truck right now and still investigating. I brought it in for a Misfire in Cyl #1 code.

It would throw a code and misfire cylinder along with a knocking noise at higher RPMs

Changed plugs, changed coil, Dealer inspected valve springs. They are now thinking it's a camshaft ( that a lifter link wore into ? - forgot what was said exactly )

But, they are waiting on approval from my aftermarket " Max Care " warranty. Anybody go through a similar issue and have problems with max care warranty? Truck has 120k on it. Service dept. says they need to send some measurements of the cam shaft to the warranty dept. to see if they will change it out or not, Can anybody elaborate?
I've never dealt with an aftermarket warranty before, but have some close friends who have, and every time it's something expensive, there's a significant effort to avoid payout. One that's going on right now, is a transmission problem on a colleagues Tundra. Toyota told the aftermarket people that it's a legit warranty failure, but it's too far past the powertrain warranty for the OEM to cover it. My two cents...document everything, and hold their feet to the fire. If they can find a way not to pay, they will take it. I wish you well!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I may be in this thread as well. 155K, engine is soggy off of low rpm, thrusts hard until 4K, then flashes the CE light. P0301 is active. Guess pulling the valve cover is the only way to find out...

·
Registered
105 Posts

just an update, my max care warranty is covering all the repairs

I was told the lifter / lifter rollers went bad and wore a groove in the camshaft.

21 - 40 of 967 Posts