DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 60 of 968 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 Laramie... failed lifter, eaten cam lobe. 80k miles and warranty is covering the repair but still a pita. Same dealer would not help with torque converter issue at 44k. My 03 Hemi 2500 traded at 275k miles with no engine issues.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Just to keep track:

Ok, so to consolidate the previous posts we are now tracking

-1 2009
-4 2010s
-9 2011s

in this thread with the stuck lifter roller/wiped out cam lobe issue. Perhaps this can become a sticky??

Reactions: Ohiobowhunter

·
Registered
119 Posts
sigh

Lets add another 2010 hemi. Owned this truck used since february this year, never any issues. Today i drove it 3 hours to tulsa, ok to trade it in for another vehicle, only to get back from the test drive, talk to the guy and he tells me he drove my truck around the block and a CEL came on and stayed on. I looked it up P0305 cylinder 5 misfire. Been reading forums all damn day now and I see the same issue. Roller seizes and eats up cam. This genius at the dealer says "yeah it makes a weird noise at high rpms",he gets in my truck and floors it, as the rpms come back down you can hear a faint tickticktick. CEL stays on, i drive it around town for a few hours, decide to drive it back home 3 hours on the highway. Mind you the light is still on, but i drove at 75-80mph the entire way back and no issues. I wonder how bad mine is. I'm about to trade this truck up and let it be someone elses issue. My truck has 136k+ miles. 5.7l hemi. My luck I just canceled my extended aftermarket warranty to trade my truck in and this happens! All this happened today. Gonna pull a valve cover tomorrow probably. I wonder why its the same cylinder and if theres so many issues it should be a recall. This shit will tear your engine up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my dealer calls today and Im expecting then to tell me to come get my fixed vehicle. Instead, they tell me that after it was all reassembled, they ran it and had cel illuminated and bad miss on multiple cylinders. So...they tear it back down and discover a failed lifter and bent rocker arm. These are brand new parts. Slight lack of confidence at this point. I wonder if I will end up with a new engine? WTH?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
So my dealer calls today and Im expecting then to tell me to come get my fixed vehicle. Instead, they tell me that after it was all reassembled, they ran it and had cel illuminated and bad miss on multiple cylinders. So...they tear it back down and discover a failed lifter and bent rocker arm. These are brand new parts. Slight lack of confidence at this point. I wonder if I will end up with a new engine? WTH?
Didn't they replace the lifters?

How does a rocker arm bend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was the explanation from the service writer. The lifters were all supposed to be new along with a whole laundry list of parts. I cant imagine this being a common occurrence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 1500 crew cab 4x4

I just had the cyl 5 misfire.
Diagnosis:
My failed intake lifter took out the camshaft lobe too.

In Canada we have a 5yr 100,000km powertrain warranty. I'm within the 5yrs but i have 120,000km on the truck. So i'm out of luck for any financial assistance from Ram for a very common problem.

I made a report on the chrysler canada website so that atleast there was a documented report of the failure.

$4000 in parts and 18hrs of labour. Truck has been off the road for 3 weeks til i can justify putting out the cash.

Engine machine shop in town said the problem is common. They know right away and said its always the #5. Dealership mechanic said he has done a few. I talked to the service desk and they were surprised, and never heard of it. I laughed.

Did not expect this problem, especially with the care i've given that hemi.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
2012 CC Sport, 155K miles, wiped lobe on cylinder #1. Replacing all lifters with Hellcat units, shutting off MDS.
IIRC, 2, 3, 5, and 8 are the deactivating cylinders so shutting off MDS won't/wouldn't have anything to do with it

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Headache

So I figured I'd replace the small issues on my truck to see if the CEL would go away. Replaced all spark plugs, switched coils, wires, etc and still have P0305 and had a P0300 for a week. Im at 137,000 miles, no warranty. If this is such an issue, why wouldn't Chrysler stand behind their product and repair at no cost? I'm ashamed to be a Dodge fan. I was quoted $1500 for the entire repair, labor and parts or $2000 for a full engine rebuild to include new pistons, rings, timing kit, gaskets, etc. I will probably re finance for the cost of repair, as I can't sell a truck that may seize up at any moment. Has anyone replaced all the lifters, and camshaft themselves? There is an auto craft shop located here on Fort Sill, I may buy the parts and tackle the problem over a weekend myself. Any advice?

·
Registered
119 Posts
lol

I didn't think I was complaining. A major part in the engine going bad, the company won't stand behind its own product, it's bullshit. Unfortunately we all can't just write a check, if so, why don't you write me one buddy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
137K miles= No warranty. Did you purchase the extended warranty?

So, the company, who would have covered the repair until 60/100K, won't cover it after the expiration, and you blame them? Yea, it sucks, but, technically, they aren't responsible.

Your last comment just makes you look sad....

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Please keep it civil gents, there is a difference is duscussing differing opinions and name calling. The latter is inappropriate and uncalled for

·
Registered
119 Posts
You're right, I guess after the warranty ends, the company is no longer responsible for the vehicle that has their name and brand on it. Makes sense. So besides the jackass whose only good advice is to write a check...I have $4800 to work with. I don't want to take it to a shop because labor is expensive and I have time, space and money to buy whatever tools I need. Does anyone have a good place to buy 6.1L non mds lifters, cam and springs? I can get an entire top end engine gasket set off of rockauto for a good price. Ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My other question is, if I just buy the plugs to go where the MDS solenoid used to be, do I have to buy specifically a non mds cam? I dont really understand the mds system. I'd rather just buy a 6.1l cam, lifters and valves and plug the solenoids.

41 - 60 of 968 Posts