DODGE RAM FORUM banner

921 - 931 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star QC 2WD
1 Posts
Hello, new here but have had a few Rams since 2005. I just came across this thread and figured I'd throw my cylinder #7 lifter failure in here as well. I bought my current 2012 Ram 1500 used Dec 2016 with 34k miles. It was bone stock and in great condition. I kept it stock till my cam and lifter replacement last summer. I put around 40k miles per year as it's my daily and work truck, so I had frequent oil changes and used Castrol Edge till I noticed a tick (sounded more like a chirp) winter of 2018 just after 100k miles. That's when I researched and found the common lifter failure, as well as lots of oil info in regards to the 3rd gen Hemi. I immediately switched to Pennzoil Platinum and amazingly the tick went away but came back a couple weeks later. I also had the exhaust manifold tick on the passenger side prior to the lifter tick, so I knew it was different and easy enough to distinguish. I babied it till the following summer when I could afford the swap. About a week after I purchased the truck I always manually turned the MDS off every time I started the truck, I couldn't stand the MDS kicking in, but it became habit. So when it came time to order parts I searched for cams that would provide more power but keep the power band lower than a full on drag setup, and eliminate MDS. Jay Greene became my go-to guy and got his Stage 2 low lift cam and non-MDS "Hellcat" lifters plus also a Diablo inTune i3 to switch off the MDS permanently. My buddy did the swap and replaced the exhaust manifold bolts as well. The swap was done at 125k miles and now have 151k miles with no problems whatsoever. I babied it for several months after figuring out my lifter problem, but honestly drove it too long (see pics), although I had no CEL or driveability issues until the very day I took it to my buddy to swap everything which is when the CEL came on and sputtered under hard acceleration getting up to speed on the highway with cars quickly bearing down on me. Now I've got more bolt-on mods and custom tune by Jay and couldn't be happier. I have always had extended idle time due to waiting at my kids school to pick them up and also during their hockey practice as we were always there way ahead of time, but only on days that were too hot or cold. So I doubt I had high idle time such as police cars but it probably contributed nonetheless. I have stuck with Pennzoil Platinum, due to Jay's recommendation, and the truck seems happy with it. I'm not someone that can stick an oem cam in a motor if I'm that far into it, so finding Jay Greene was a blessing. There's other great aftermarket cam options as well for those that need a new cam, but I can attest to how great Jay has been through the whole process from cam and lifter suggestion to his custom tunes. For those wanting to eliminate MDS you just need the non-MDS lifters and a way to shut it off by either Diablo, custom tune or HP Tuners, there may be other options but am not sure. I kept the factory MDS plugs under the intake manifold instead of getting the aftermarket block-off plugs. You can see in the pics where the plastic retainer cracked and allowed the lifter to rotate 90 degrees and also slide out a little, so it was digging into the cam lobe severely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another victim here. 2012 with 202,000. At least I got more miles then a lot of others here. Still weighing my options but with probably go with a remanufactured motor. Hard pill to swallow being truck will be worth about the same or less then what this will cost to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, is this lifter failure an inevitable event that will happen with all gen 4 5.7 hemi engines? Are there any that made it past 200k without any lifter/camshaft failures?

I want to pull the trigger on a 2011 outdoorsman with 150k on it. Truck runs great but this problem with the engine failing is unsettling. No ticking or oil leaks. No record of it being serviced for lifter/camshaft failure from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, read through quite a bit of this thread and have a couple of questions.

2012 5.7 w/MDS, 50k miles. slight tick started recently after it sat for a while.

I have the engine and trans pulled for a cleaning and trans re-seal. While it's out I'd like to try and proactively address the lifter/cam issue.I can do the work myself so labor cost isn't a factor.

What's the best solve here? Replace with the 'updated' Dodge OE lifters? Aftermarket? Do all upgraded aftermarket solutions require deleting the MDS?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2011 2500, 89,000 miles
Truck developed bad miss under load with check engine light.
Took it in, Stealership cleared codes and said "could not dup"
They charged me 106.00 for diagnostics (apparently only lubed parts are covered in 5/100,000 powertrain)
I picked it up after hours, and as soon as I left the lot it started acting up.
I called the next morning and told them about it, they said "it's fuel or ign"
I said "I think it's a cam or lifter" (the code was for #5 cylinder misfire). I told them I wanted them to pull the valve cover. They said 5.5 hours to pull it, and they told me that I would have to pay for that time if it came out ok.
So I brought it home and pulled the cover (40 min total off and back on)

Here's the vid of what I found !
#5 intake lobe is toast!
Tomorrow they are getting an ear full

Certainly sounds like you are dealing with people who are and will always be working against you with whatever you come up against for service.. maybe you should be trying to find a new dealership that prefers to work on your truck instead of sounding like the prefer working against you.. Just Say'n..

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Ram 1500 5.7, Never really noticed the noise because i don't use auto start too often and the sounds i did hear, i just assumed was the exhaust manifold bolts. Buddy of mine who is a mechanic at a dealership noticed the ticking sound and immediately pointed it out to be the lifter in either cylinder 3 or 7. He said those were the most common hes run into with the 5.7s. Crappy part is that i always do all my all oil changes and regular maintenance so i know that nothing used is over put into my truck (my mom had personally had it happen where they dont change out the oil filter. And drum oil isn't always the cleanest despite paying for synthetic.)
I haven't had any codes come up, but i decided to get it squared away before i had any bigger issues. Sure enough, cylinder 3 had severe wheel play. 3 other lifters had mild play. No other physical damage to the lifters. Crossed my fingers for no cam damage, but that didnt go in my favor. Im probably out of luck because of me doing my own maintenance due to trust issues from small shops and refusing to pay dealership prices. But oh well

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got a 2011 ram sport. Bought it in September with 166,000 kms on it. Nice truck worked and sounded great. Within a week I had a loud tick, more tapping. A couple weeks ago I had a flashing check engine light and took it to the shop and lifter 3 wasn’t working right. I had a new mopar camshaft and mds lifters installed and the tick/tap sounds nearly identical to before the replacement. I’m getting P0152 codes now which I didn’t have before. The wrong head gaskets were in the kit as well and when the mechanic was adding antifreeze to the engine they noticed it was leaking around the heads. Would this cause any of my issues?? $5200 and I’m not much farther ahead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got a 2011 ram sport. Bought it in September with 166,000 kms on it. Nice truck worked and sounded great. Within a week I had a loud tick, more tapping. A couple weeks ago I had a flashing check engine light and took it to the shop and lifter 3 wasn’t working right. I had a new mopar camshaft and mds lifters installed and the tick/tap sounds nearly identical to before the replacement. I’m getting P0152 codes now which I didn’t have before. The wrong head gaskets were in the kit as well and when the mechanic was adding antifreeze to the engine they noticed it was leaking around the heads. Would this cause any of my issues?? $5200 and I’m not much farther ahead. Truck now has 174000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everybody. I've read a lot of this thread and I'm wondering if anyone who has fixed their cam/lifter failure can chime in about how many miles they've driven since then, what replacement parts they went with and how the repairs are holding up?

I've got a 2012 with 185k that is currently in the shop for what I suspect is cam/lifter failure and I'm trying to figure out the most reliable parts to use.

I love this truck we've been through hell and back, done lots of work and lots of towing and it's been very reliable until now. would like to see it get to 300k if at all possible.

921 - 931 of 930 Posts