DODGE RAM FORUM banner

941 - 960 of 979 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Check the posts and reports. There clearly are sideways lifters that wiped the cams. I am paraphrasing what others reported on this site. I did not report it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Unless the retainer failed after the roller seized, they shouldn't go sideways. Wouldn't make any sense to put a roller lifter in without a way to keep it straight.

Probably just inferior roller bearings on most. I have seen pictures with pitted cams also and that is a cam issue not the lifter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
everyone agrees the issue started in 2009 models... the design was exactly the same, it has been the same forever... what happened? Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009... Vendors im sure were not happy...

They play with oil pumps a little every year but you cant tell the difference. FCA supposedly said there was a hardness issue on needle bearings.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Update on my case with FiatChrysler:

Got my Ram back today. Dealer diagnosis included cam & lifters, and a new engine wiring harness (had several repairs done at coil and injector connectors, and currently had a break at a/c compressor connection). Total submitted was ~$5,700. Of which ~$2,200 was that harness. FCA offered to cover 70%, if I’d pay 30%. I agreed to that. Didn’t have to pay anything on original repair, as it was still under Powertrain warranty, so figured $1,585.41 was pretty cheap for a whole new engine compartment wiring harness and the cam / lifter change, including labor, associated parts/fluids, and even a few studs and bolts (which I assume are for the exhaust manifolds). Service manager tells me that these repairs should carry a 3 year / 50K mike warranty. Hopefully, I won’t have to find out ...

I have bought myself a new ‘19 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, and the Ram is now our “ farm truck”. Figure the plan is to use it as such for 2 years and/or 25K miles, then sell it.

That’s all I’ve got. Figure I would share, so others may have some options. Good luck to y’all that are going through this. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what mileage? you drag race a farm truck?

Ive heard Chrysler covers warranties up to 80k? Getting a brake job can run 1000$ nowdays so they hooked you up. Who screwed up the wiring harness? the mechanics? Otherwise you pretty much made out on the deal. If you hosed the harness, you did very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another commonality that I've seen is that they all seem to be happening on cylinder #5 too. I thought maybe an oiling problem. I use Castrol synthetic 5w20.
I had been noticing a decrease in performance and mpg's over the last couple months on mine. Then one day I got on it pretty hard and that is when it really started showing problems and throwing codes. I've been driving it the past week, and as long as I keep it under 3k rpm I have no issues.

I got two bids of $3890 and $3350 to replace the cam and all of the lifters, so I'm probably going to go ahead and get it fixed this next week. Just trying to figure out if I can go ahead and step up to a 6.4 cam or not. I HATE spending that much money without upgrading it in the process.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 101000 Miles on it last week my lifter Collapse in number 5 cylinder. I just ordered parts to rebuild the top end going to set me back a grand. I think ram needs to acknowledge they are putting cheap bearing lifters in their trucks Thousands of rams are failing. Good thing I kept my spare GMC Sierra 5.3 it has 300000 miles on it and still going strong why did I buy a ram? I must have been stupid

·
Registered
39 Posts
I heard recently they did acknowledge their lifter supplier issues they have been having for too long. It does strike a very small percentage of hemis... but obviously when it does it sucks. Fortunately you can do the work... others are hosed but they try to handle, have you talked to the dealer? This also is exacerbated by MDS and dirty oil. You have to be very careful with MDS and oil changes. I think if you can prove you did oil maintenance they are more apt to cover.
Everyone on the web always says "oh i changed oil religiously!"... sure you can say that but I think i did also, then i remember I often let it go 5k...6k... at times..

I read that if your MDS system gets clogged it can trash the lifters when its not activating/de-activing correctly. Chevy also has a lot of problems but theirs is a little safer since its not computer controlled(its oil pressure based)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 13 ram 1500 big horn 150k miles and started with a miss in cylinder 5, fuel pressure sensor and hard starting took it in and found out the same lifter cam failure waiting on extended warranty to see it and hopefully get a new motor out of it.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star QC 2WD
3 Posts
I heard recently they did acknowledge their lifter supplier issues they have been having for too long. It does strike a very small percentage of hemis... but obviously when it does it sucks. Fortunately you can do the work... others are hosed but they try to handle, have you talked to the dealer? This also is exacerbated by MDS and dirty oil. You have to be very careful with MDS and oil changes. I think if you can prove you did oil maintenance they are more apt to cover.
Everyone on the web always says "oh i changed oil religiously!"... sure you can say that but I think i did also, then i remember I often let it go 5k...6k... at times..

I read that if your MDS system gets clogged it can trash the lifters when its not activating/de-activing correctly. Chevy also has a lot of problems but theirs is a little safer since its not computer controlled(its oil pressure based)
Although I'm not a fan of the MDS system, I don't believe our lifter issues stem from it. The 2500 trucks have lifter failure as well and they don't have MDS. It was simply a bad batch of lifters from a bad supplier. I've seen a few videos of concern regarding oil supply/return galleys in the block but I'm not as inclined to believe that's a major problem as long as the proper oil is used.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab Express
12 Posts
Same issue. 2014 Ram 5.7. Cyl #8 lifter shaved the cam at 203k. Bought a junkyard motor and now wish I didnt buy another 2014 replacement HEMI. All this happened 2 days before my first son was born. Not great timing haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list...maybe... 2012 Ram express, Regular Cab 4x4, 167K miles. Interestingly, no engine warning light. Tick and loss of power (throttle response) when going up hill or hard acceleration. RPMs catch up eventually, but no shudder or engine light as reported on this thread. Dealer says cam & lifters ($4.7K). Maybe I am in the early stages as the truck still seems very drivable. It is the first and only mechanical issue since new. I suspect there is no way of knowing if FCA has addressed this with the new Ram's as they have not seemed to acknowledge that a problem exists in our earlier Rams. Been so pleased with this truck right up until this point. Was considering a new 1500 or possible power wagon prior to this event and learning the widespread occurrence in both the 5.7 and 6.4. Feeling a little gun shy on Hemi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, last update was 20 July, here is another update; 21 more trucks in the past 8 months:

2009: 12
2010: 8
2011: 45
2012: 33
2013: 14
2014: 11
2015: 4
2016: 1
2017: -
2018: -
Total: 128

Previous update was:

2009: 10
2010: 8
2011: 41
2012: 25
2013: 11
2014: 8
2015: 4
2016: -
2017: -
2018: -
Total: 107

This includes trucks whose owners said it was a confirmed cam/lifter failure, and does not include those who posted that they had a misfire but did not confirm it was a cam/lifter issue. This also only includes reports from owners here and not people who heard from their buddies' mechanic, etc... or whatever. Pulling data from other sites as well can result in double counting if a person reports it on both sites whether they have the same username or not, so I don't include those either. Lastly, this doesn't include those that posted that their Hemi was making some sort of noise but had neither misfired nor had any sort of teardown done to suggest that there was any sort of valvetrain failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 5.7 Hemi Ram Laramie limited edition 89,500 miles.AT dealer and whole engine is taken apart. Lifter #5 failure Lifter #3 failing. Cam is shot. New engine quote 12K Refurbished 7k replace lifters and cam 4,5K but no guaranties, Already about 1,600 to stop and pile the engine into the bed and tow home. Truck has been at the dealer for a month due to a number of service and supply issues mostly due to COVID impacts. There have been 3 other Hemi Rams there in that time for the same reason. Same age range and mileage in the 85 -110 range.

I'm forced to go with refurbished engine and hope for the best and look for early trade in.

I want in on lawsuit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add another 2013 1500 to the list. Outdoorsman model with 113k miles. I'm reassembling mine this weekend after replacing the cam and lifters. Mine was a #2 cylinder misfire. Cam lobe is almost completely rounded and the lifter is shot. It is missing a few of the needle bearings.

I bought the replacement cam and lifters from a local engine shop. With gaskets, cam, lifters, and paying to clean up and check the heads/ valves, I'll be in over $1600 and I'm doing the work (other than the heads check and cleaning).

An interesting comment from a person at the shop i got my parts through, a few years ago, one of the local dealerships had over 30 vehicles waiting for replacement cams and lifters. The part supply was backlogged at that time, but that goes to show that it's not just a few vehicles here and there that get this issue.

I'll hang onto my cam, lifters, and receipts for evidence if that lawsuit gets some traction.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Although I'm not a fan of the MDS system, I don't believe our lifter issues stem from it. The 2500 trucks have lifter failure as well and they don't have MDS. It was simply a bad batch of lifters from a bad supplier. I've seen a few videos of concern regarding oil supply/return galleys in the block but I'm not as inclined to believe that's a major problem as long as the proper oil is used.
I have a 2500 and have MDS. 2017 model 6.4L HEMI

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Sport
57 Posts
2015 1500 Sport, 5.7L Hemi
At the dealer now in pieces with 111560 miles
They just called me and sent picture of my cam. Confirmed metal shavings in the oil and all over the engine inside. Recommendation is a new motor for $8600.00

Engine: 5770.99 (they tell me its new from the factory)
misc 200.00
tax 305.00
labor 2340.00

$8615.00

Trying to breathe as I didn't get a CEL until a month ago and truck has been sitting in my driveway for a month as no open service appointments until yesterday morning. I changed the plugs, coil packs and fuel injectors at service 6 months ago.

Mopar customer service basically laughed at me, said they have no open or closed recalls for anything that could have caused this issue (same codes as the others in the forum, P0303, etc) and since I am 11k and change over the 100k mark there is nothing they can do, talk to the dealer to help you on cost and my response was funny they told me to contact you.

Wish it was better news but hey, a new Hemi out of the box for 8600.00 might not be a bad thing

Hope everyone is staying safe !

Chas

hemi_cam.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
that is pretty chewed up... you didn't hear anything before? Just wham...?

that mileage they aren't going to do anything i guess, all makes would be like no way. did you only have factory warranty since you bought it? original owner?

I would price out a remanufactured long block... are you handy with a wrench? I think they run 3k for a rebuilt long block.3600$ for full oem parts is pretty good... 3 year warranty

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,436 Posts
Yep, flakes on the VVT solenoid means your oil filter is trash and roller/cam material was circulating. Poor oil quality and too long of interval with excessive idle time.

941 - 960 of 979 Posts