DODGE RAM FORUM banner

961 - 968 of 968 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
who knows about the oil quality? doubtful he idled... thats not it, that oil doesnt look pretty and he's running 25k a year so that's fine. What oil did you use? I know everyone says they changed their oil perfectly :) I would say that but it wouldn't be true.. I have let my LS in my daily truck go too long sometimes. I think i would definately disable MDS if I had a hemi, esp if I wasnt perfect with my oil changes, over over 100k. Chrysler will usually work with you if under 100k which is WAY more than GM or Ford would. If find Ford, 2nd most generous with warranties... GM Is just evil, tries to f you any chance they can, zero help unless you give you dealer 15k a year in profit on car buys/used turn ins... Dealer will eat it to keep that cash flow coming. MDS just like AFM... One screw up with that system and your lifter takes one bad hit on the cam and its toast... Low oil pressure also will do this...just like LS engines...

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Sport
23 Posts
that is pretty chewed up... you didn't hear anything before? Just wham...?

that mileage they aren't going to do anything i guess, all makes would be like no way. did you only have factory warranty since you bought it? original owner?

I would price out a remanufactured long block... are you handy with a wrench? I think they run 3k for a rebuilt long block.3600$ for full oem parts is pretty good... 3 year warranty

Thanks for the link information, was looking around and found some similar. Yes pretty handy and have experience with engines and swaps just not really a lot of time to actually do it.

Yes, pinging noise several months back and was told it was the exhaust manifold gaskets, they replaced them and it stopped as loud as it was then started gradually coming back. Tuned it up with the new plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, etc. They replaced the driver side exhaust manifold gasket again. Said they didn't find anything else and no codes so they pretty much said have a nice day.

Funny, same dealer and same dealer is where I take it for service. They change the oil, filters, etc.

2nd owner

·
Registered
35 Posts
2nd owner is bad, they wont work with you on the warranty ever then if your not the original owner(they dont know history of oil changes, did the original owner beat on it). when didi you buy it? at what mileage? Engine could have been saved had the dealer caught it, but obviously then would have needed cam/lifter swap. I would buy a non mds engine slap it in. but your right thats a couple days work for you.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,416 Posts
I’ve been having my oil analyzed every change as it gets driven like a road race vehicle 400 miles a week. That’s really the best method to know how your internals are doing. Second would be unusual audible feedback, unfortunately a pushrod v8 with VVT/MDS chirping injectors through aluminum heads and a composite intake is a mechanically noisy engine. Users tell themselves it’s “normal“ when the valve train speaks up. Add in longtube headers and you’re basically a sewing machine, but lubegard/high moly synthetic and a micro glass filter with good bypass valving will make some sweet music no other 4 stroke can match IMO.

both reports were using the same RP 10-48 filter as I run them 15k miles.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Sport
23 Posts
Pretty amazing report, I will definitely look into this when I get my Hemi back from the shop. Thank you for sharing the information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 2500, 89,000 miles
Truck developed bad miss under load with check engine light.
Took it in, Stealership cleared codes and said "could not dup"
They charged me 106.00 for diagnostics (apparently only lubed parts are covered in 5/100,000 powertrain)
I picked it up after hours, and as soon as I left the lot it started acting up.
I called the next morning and told them about it, they said "it's fuel or ign"
I said "I think it's a cam or lifter" (the code was for #5 cylinder misfire). I told them I wanted them to pull the valve cover. They said 5.5 hours to pull it, and they told me that I would have to pay for that time if it came out ok.
So I brought it home and pulled the cover (40 min total off and back on)

Here's the vid of what I found !
#5 intake lobe is toast!
Tomorrow they are getting an ear full

Wouldn't it make sense for Chrysler to have a higher degree bevel angle on the journals for more coverage of parts that would hold more of the oil on those parts longer and serve as a repository to increase saturation? This would insure that more oil stays on top of the engine areas for a longer period of time. Maybe that with hardened camshaft/roller lifters that are hardened also would insure a longer life period. This is what I think would be a good idea (mediate distribution of more oil throughout the engine block). This would also mean a higher performance oil pump. I really wonder if Chrysler has thought about ideas like this??? I believe taking these measures would make the 5.7 Liter Hemi nearly indestructible that would last forever. The other problem that I see is that of the EPA has increased emissions on these engines to where excess fuel is burned in the catalytic converters, which is a waste, when they could introduce heated EGR actuation just like in the old days based on manifold pressure. Hot gasses were re-introduced into the cylinders to expand the fuel. Chrysler also used domed pistons on the 426 Hemi in the past for increased compression ratios with rectangular ports on the manifolds. There are so many different approaches that they could do that have been proven in the past to increase horse power and outlast the competition. The technologies are already there for a better engine and proven at that!

Just trying to help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
2016 CCSB here.

Currently at 109,850 miles, with 3,150 hours of drive time and 310 hours of idle time, mixed driving but lots of highway trips. Several quarter mile passes and sees 5,000-6,000 RPM at least once each time it gets driven. It does have 4.56 gears with a 65RFE and 265/70/17 Falken ATs, so it turns 2500-2700 RPM at 75-80 mph for hours at a time on trips.

So far, knock on wood, no lifter/cam lobe issues. It typically uses essentially none of the Mobil 1 5w-20 in between 5,000 mile oil changes with a K&N filter, and it always looks relatively clean.

At this point, I am going to continue with the same program, being that it seems to be working. I typically make it a habit to reduce the amount of idle time, particularly once the oil heats up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to keep track:

Ok, so to consolidate the previous posts we are now tracking

-1 2009
-4 2010s
-9 2011s

in this thread with the stuck lifter roller/wiped out cam lobe issue. Perhaps this can become a sticky??
You can add my 2012 2500 with the dreaded lifter failure went to the Chrysler's at Carlisle towing my RV then on the way back home to Birmingham I got to Ft. Chiswell, VA. when my 5.7 gave me the CEL misfire #5 cyl. at 90,000 miles after 2 weeks at a Dodge dealer in WV. and $4200. later I talked with the service dept. to see if they replaced the cam and lifters with an improved version and they told me that there was no improved/corrected parts and that they replaced them with new OEM parts. Now I'm trying to see if there are aftermarket lifters that won't fail before I get the CEL light come back on...

961 - 968 of 968 Posts