DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1041 - 1060 of 1068 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4X4. Detonator Yellow (PYB), 345ci Hemi V8, 545RFE trans.
264 Posts
I picked up my 2009 Ram 1500 Sport yesterday afternoon… Huge shout out to the folks at River Front CJD, especially Jessica (service advisor) and Randy (Master Tech). Randy got my truck in the service bay early on Wednesday and had it up and running by 7:30am Friday morning. He bore scoped the engine on Wednesday and could see the cam on the #5 cylinder was wiped. Pulled the VVT solenoid and said the screens were clean so he ordered a new cam and lifters. Randy told me if they see any metal in the VVT solenoid screens they order up a long block because the engine is toast. That likely would have turned into a 2-3 week process for approval. Randy said my engine was super clean (I’ve been running Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum since the first oil change) and since there was no metal in the VVT screens or oil sump the new lifters and cam would do the trick. Parts came in Thursday. Water pump bearing had a lot of play in it so they decided to replace that as well. The banana Ram was all back together and running at 7:30am Friday when I showed up to see how things were going. Randy pulled the old cam, lifters and water pump out to show me how they had failed… Almost no lobe left on #5 and the roller on the lifter was seized. He doubted the MDS system had been working for a while as several of the other MDS lifters were collapsed (couldn’t see the pins on the sides) and not functioning as expected.

The banana Ram is purring like a kitten now, nice smooth and quiet. Power seems to be back to normal and the Hemi seems much more “lively” now.

The Factory Maxcare Lifetime Warranty that came with the truck back in 2009 saved the day!

Parts list

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 2500, 89,000 miles
Truck developed bad miss under load with check engine light.
Took it in, Stealership cleared codes and said "could not dup"
They charged me 106.00 for diagnostics (apparently only lubed parts are covered in 5/100,000 powertrain)
I picked it up after hours, and as soon as I left the lot it started acting up.
I called the next morning and told them about it, they said "it's fuel or ign"
I said "I think it's a cam or lifter" (the code was for #5 cylinder misfire). I told them I wanted them to pull the valve cover. They said 5.5 hours to pull it, and they told me that I would have to pay for that time if it came out ok.
So I brought it home and pulled the cover (40 min total off and back on)

Here's the vid of what I found !
#5 intake lobe is toast!
Tomorrow they are getting an ear full

Wow, you just helped me figure out what was going on in my Jeep!!!

I have the same 5.7 hemi in my 2013 jeep grand cherokee (2011-2013 model) and turn out I have the exact same problem....
Misfire on cylinder 5....and bent push rod. Shaking violently when idle....

pulled the valve cover and found that the cam shaft lobe is completely worn down - the reason the pushrod was bent at a 45 degree angle

Thanks for the post man, just helped me out big time!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Created an account here just to make this post and add my data to the list:

2011 ram 1500 sport. 88K miles, ~2200 engine hours. Lifter/cam failure on cylinder 5. Owned since new. Oil changed every 3k miles with Castrol GTX 5W20 and mopar filter.

There are a ton of photos on here but figured I'd add mine despite them all looking the same:

Installed all new OEM lifters and a Melling aftermarket stock grind camshaft. Felpro gasket set, Felpro head bolts, OEM camshaft bolt, and aftermarket exhaust manifold studs (well plus coolant, oil and oil filters). The repair wasn't hard, just time consuming but had it done in two weeks including waiting for the parts to arrive. The lifters were the biggest hit. The wholesale dealers didn't have them in stock. Found them at a local dealer but was much more money (~$900 for the set). ~$1700 total in parts. Could have saved a few bucks buying the needed gaskets separately but grabbed the full gasket set for convenience.

Fired it up on Sunday and it purrs like a kitten! Dropped the oil/filter after 10 minutes of running...metal noticeable in the filter and pan. Was planning on dropping it again after a week of driving....BUT, I lost full confidence in this platform since this occurred and traded it in yesterday (less than 24 hours after getting it running again)!

Best of luck to all affected by this issue. This was very frustrating to me despite having the knowledge and equipment to do the repair. It's just something that should never happen to a vehicle with this mileage and proper maintenance. I have a summer beater car which I use to keep the mileage low on the truck, and saving gas, thinking I was doing a good thing...only to the contrary.

Thank you to the members here who have posted all of the information regarding this issue and good detailed photos/videos of the repair process.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,925 Posts
Thanks for sharing, extremely thoughtful of you to rebuild the top end and trade in for someone else to get 200k+ miles with. (assuming that RFE trans stays together :D)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for sharing, extremely thoughtful of you to rebuild the top end and trade in for someone else to get 200k+ miles with. (assuming that RFE trans stays together :D)
Yes, maybe, but I'll counter that in that it should have had 200k+ in the first place. Hopefully it does give the new owner good reliability. I could have just replaced the single lifter, but I fixed it as if I was going to keep it. Well...if I was set on keeping it, I would have pulled the pan and the oil filler tube and cleaned them well before starting it. But wasn't too keen on pulling down the front differential.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can add my 2010 that was well maintained to the list lucky i made it to 120.000 but I've had a nightmare with fixing it I did it myself and got 2 new mds lifters that didn't work so I've pulled 1 head twice and it was the driver side wich is a pain to do to begin with I've been a mechanic all my life and never had this problem they were oem to boot supposedly during shipping they were miss handled so they never locked back in thing is the truck ran perfect for 30 or so miles plus the idle time to break things in

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The camshaft is garbage if the roller seized. It’s mild cast and loses case hardening instantly.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm just curious.... What percentage of these 5.7L Hemi engine have lifter failure? Wouldn't they have rectified the problem as the years went on through the 4th generation?
Less than 1%, issue has been remedied with billet camshaft and a more robust hydraulic roller lifter assembly. The problem is everyone has access to the internet now and when they see the replacement bill that's where they jump to complain...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I just joined this page because we just bought a 2008 jeep commander that is having all the exact same issues but I haven't seen anyone else with anything older that 2009. So far we have replaced all 4 solenoids and we have replaced the plugs for cool 1 and 4 and the coil pack for 1 but we still have the #1 misfire. Did all the compression tests and ran through all the Sam diagnostics as everyone else. Next is to pull off the cover and inspect. I will update with pics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm at 63k miles now guys. 2018 Ram 1500 Sport. How long should I keep this vehicle? I'm out of warranty at the moment. I assume with this thread we are talking less than 5% that end up doing this, although if you read the whole thread you would think that percentage is 95.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2013 is having this issue now too at 118k miles. I was able to improve it a bit with fresh oil and premium gas. Misfire codes have not reappeared but I am babying the truck at this point. I can still definitely feel the shudders/jerks while driving.

Does anyone know if I can continue to drive the truck like this without the problem worsening? My goal is to trade it in ASAP but it's my only car and there is ZERO INVENTORY on half decent trucks in my area so I have to wait, but still need a car. I would prefer to trade it in without a check engine light staring the dealer in the face.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My 2013 is having this issue now too at 118k miles. I was able to improve it a bit with fresh oil and premium gas. Misfire codes have not reappeared but I am babying the truck at this point. I can still definitely feel the shudders/jerks while driving.

Does anyone know if I can continue to drive the truck like this without the problem worsening? My goal is to trade it in ASAP but it's my only car and there is ZERO INVENTORY on half decent trucks in my area so I have to wait, but still need a car. I would prefer to trade it in without a check engine light staring the dealer in the face.
Thanks
The problem with just waiting is that if the issue is indeed the beginnings of cam/lifter failure, it will get worse — there really is no way to "baby" it past a collapsed lifter — and it could get a lot worse quite suddenly, so you would go from having a truck which runs reasonably well with no check engine light, to one that misfires constantly, runs like crap, and clearing the CEL doesn't last more that a couple minutes at most.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The problem with just waiting is that if the issue is indeed the beginnings of cam/lifter failure, it will get worse — there really is no way to "baby" it past a collapsed lifter — and it could get a lot worse quite suddenly, so you would go from having a truck which runs reasonably well with no check engine light, to one that misfires constantly, runs like crap, and clearing the CEL doesn't last more that a couple minutes at most.
Thanks for the color. So it sounds to me like your're in the camp of "Trade it in ASAP" while I can still get max value for it...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The PCM data logs codes permanently, if you had a misfire it'll be found in any diagnostic test. Or if they decide to take it around the block and "let 'er rip, 'tater chip".

That being said, mistakes are made and corners are sometimes cut.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
So it sounds to me like your're in the camp of "Trade it in ASAP" while I can still get max value for it...
Well, if that means sell/trade it ASAP while trying to hide your concerns and the history of CEL misfire codes, then no, not really. People do that kind of thing all the time if they can get away with it, but that's not something I'd be comfortable doing.
And like Garc said, if the dealer thoroughly scans the PCM, they'll discover that history anyway. Dunno how meticulous dealers are where you live, but you wouldn't be able to slip that by my dealer even on their worst day.

·
Registered
2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn
9 Posts
Well, if that means sell/trade it ASAP while trying to hide your concerns and the history of CEL misfire codes, then no, not really. People do that kind of thing all the time if they can get away with it, but that's not something I'd be comfortable doing.
And like Garc said, if the dealer thoroughly scans the PCM, they'll discover that history anyway. Dunno how meticulous dealers are where you live, but you wouldn't be able to slip that by my dealer even on their worst day.
You know, I'm sitting here reading the previous couple threads on this thinking people are forced to make unexpected tough decisions when faced with this problem. Do you spend the money to repair and 1.) keep it, 2) sell it, or 3) get rid of it knowing there's a problem. Unfortunately for the owner in the category we're impacted by the decision Chrysler
@9thousandfeet Chrysler has had to make a similar decision regarding cam/lifter failures with new car sales and unfortunately a lot of owners know the decision they took. What's the right thing to do ???
BTW, I agree with your first paragraph.

1041 - 1060 of 1068 Posts