DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1061 - 1068 of 1068 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, here we go. I just dropped my 2009 banana Ram off at the dealership. They are looking into my random P0305 code and misfire issue. I experienced an engine vibration/lack of acceleration and CEL when I was getting on the interstate a couple of weeks ago. Stepped on the gas and the banana Ram fell right on its face where its always been a strong performer. Since that day I've been experiencing the typical issues many have discussed here when the cam/lifters start to fail. Stumbling under acceleration, a bit of a rough idle and random CEL. At the time I just assumed my baby was ready for a new set of plugs. I'm just under 129K currently and the last time they were changed was at 75K. I had a new set of plugs in the garage and ready to go since I had planned on changing them at 125K...
I changed plugs last week (checked the gaps and torqued them all properly). The old plugs actually looked really good with no signs or issues with any cylinder in particular. Since the old plugs looked good I decided to swap coils around just in case a coil was the problem. I greased up the coil boots with a good dielectric, checked coil wiring and connectors and put it all back together.
The banana Ram fired right up and idled smooth. I took her around the block an she drove well and felt as good as ever. Looked like the new plugs did the trick... right?
Wrong...the next morning I went to the Post Office across town and while driving I stepped into the throttle a bit and wham... engine stumbles, misfire (P0305) and CEL comes on again... I feather the throttle and it recovers and goes back to normal. Crazy thing is that it will drive nice and smooth and even cruise at highway speeds as long as you don't step on the gas too much. :(
I would love to hear that its only a fuel injector but I'm not confident that's going to be the problem.
Waiting on what the dealer has to say now...
2012 2500.... literally - same - exact - experience

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,925 Posts
I was proactive once I heard the initial chatter, 115k miles.

These are all on borrowed time, no oil will prevent poor case treatment on a cast iron camshaft.

Tire Automotive tire Rectangle Wheel Wood

Ruler Automotive tire Office ruler Bicycle part Cylinder

Body jewelry Cosmetics Bangle Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,925 Posts
What did you wind up doing?
Hellcat lifters?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, Mopar 5038787AD revision out of Germany . The OEM lifter rollers were fine, the cam had just began to score them however as you can see and eventually would have seized.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this same issue happen to my 09 with 75000 on it. First started ticking for about a week then misfire on Cyl #4. Took it in and Lifter to Cam failure.
I would like to get some numbers on how many of these there are and bring a class action lawsuit against Chrysler.
My truck is out of warranty and they refuse to cover anything, not even the labor only. $4300 fix.... This will be my last Chrysler product of any kind! This engine only had 75000 miles on it!!!! When I called Chrysler to speak to customer service they told me that my truck had the original engine replaced 4 months after new. They didn't tell why, but wouldn't doubt if this was the issue then too. What a poor company.... they know they have defective parts or designs and they will not stand behind their products. This should be a recall!!!

If you have had this issue with your 5.7 hemi, chime in!
I had the same issue on my 2010 at 140.000 miles but my trouble was a long drawn out process ended up changing lifters twice on the front cylinders ended up taking an mds solenoid out well I found where alot of the metal goes underneath all 4 solenoids are screens and magnets ! I ended up having to pulled all the solenoids and cleaned the magnets off and they were covered in metal shavings so my new lifters seized up collapsed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another one bites the dust. 2011 120k miles. Changed oil when the computer told me, no special oil, just what my shop pumps. City commuter truck most of its life so lots of idle time. Going to treat her to a Greene .5 cam, tune, lifters and BES, Stg 1 heads. No point in getting mad just fix it and move on. If I only get another 120k then so be it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 ram 1500 with 23k miles on and it thew a lifter and the dealer said it needs a new moter but my exstended platnuim wont cover it because i lifted the truck 4" lift kit and 22"rims and 35" tires..
They said 5.7hemi never had lifter problems..

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's quite a stretch, to say a 4" lift and 35's caused lifter failure. Lifter failure is well documented in Hemis however, and you can put an email together with a long list of links to videos and forum posts to prove that.

I wish you the best of luck! There is a guy on Youtube who is a certified Chrysler tech who covers it extensively. Do your research put it together and fight like hell. You pay for extended warranty for a reason.

1061 - 1068 of 1068 Posts