DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a low mileage 2014 Sport last week and found out there was no key for the OEM wheel locks.

Called Discount Tire and asked "How much to rotate and balance the tires and Oh! by the way I can't get the wheel locks off, no key" They said $60 if it's the normal one piece but if it's the two piece they send it to a shop that welds a nut on and removed them that way.

Of course mine are two piece so I decided, after searching the forum and youtube, to do it myself.

Driving a socket on to the nut only turned the ring as it couldn't compress the ring enough to gain purchase on the nut. No luck.

So I decided to cut off the ring. 3" high speed wheel won't get close enough and my Dremel looks like long process so out comes the trusty IR industrial die grinder with the smallest, most aggressive bit I had.

Bluntly put, the whole thing took under 1/2 hour. I made two cuts 180 deg apart on the ring, had to used vise grips to keep it from turning for the second cut, and the whole assembly just fell off when the second cut was complete.

Used a new set of HF 12 point impact sockets, 1/2 drive to remove the nut. Drove the 15/16" on and it just engaged the thin section of the nut that let the ring spin. Breaker bar turned the nut easily and only took two or three wacks with the punch to drive the old nut out of the HF socket. Only damage to the socket was scuffed paint on the points inside.

Equipment

Ring gone

Removal

One of the easiest jobs I've done in a while, Bob

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
JOB WELL DONE :smileup:

Thanks for sharing, especially like the pictures :cool:

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
I was going to suggest going to a dealer because they should have a set of keys on hand (there are only a finite number of lock designs), but reps for posting your solution! Its always good to see someone post a "this was my problem and this is my solution" thread to preempt others who may have the same issue and have trouble finding answers.

Nice color/cab combo btw, the 2013+ Sports look mean in white with the black and smoked accents, and the Quad cab is much sportier looking than the crew.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to suggest going to a dealer because they should have a set of keys on hand (there are only a finite number of lock designs), but reps for posting your solution! Its always good to see someone post a "this was my problem and this is my solution" thread to preempt others who may have the same issue and have trouble finding answers.

Nice color/cab combo btw, the 2013+ Sports look mean in white with the black and smoked accents, and the Quad cab is much sportier looking than the crew.
Must vary by dealer, what precipitated my whole adventure was taking the Ram to the local Chrysler/Ram dealer for their oil change/tire rotation special. I told them about the lock issue and they said they had no way to remove them according to the service manager.

I'm in small town mid-Michigan but the dealer is a fairly large one that handles many brands in several dealerships in this area.

Apparently it varies for some reason. Bob

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
I think if mine ever broke I'd just put on the regular lug nuts that came off when the wheel locks went on. I don't think the chrome clads are super high in demand; if I had the Sport painted 20s I might be more worried about theft:LOL:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why???

Package of wheel locks are still in my glove compartment in my 2011 unopened. If someone steals my silver painted alloy wheels I have insurance to cover some new wheels. :D

Of course, if you buy the truck used and they (locks) are on there, then that's another matter. :hah:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW and to leave everything in one place, as previously mentioned, you can order spare keys from Mcgard at $14.99 each and also register your lock data on their site so ordering in the future is just a few click away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not sure about the USA but the Canadian dealers always have master keys on hand, When I teake my wife's jeep in for service they don't require the key because they have a master.
My dealer didn't have a key but removed the lock nuts for free while I was having my recalls done by using a claw type socket. Nuts were damaged somewhat but I wasn't going to reuse them anyway. I should find the key any day now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts