DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us have trucks that are actually used as a truck. A few radio updates back they changed things so you can't have the door open and drive back or forward. Backing in a tight spot with trees or something else on the side--trying to avoid a tall rock in the trail...those door open driving needs just don't work without peering back or down with a door open folks! Even worse it seems like the update allows the transmission to start driving and then locks it. It's like slamming the tranny into park while you are driving. Granted it's slow speed, but NOT good!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
From my understanding that once that update has been installed there is no removing it. It’s the result of over zealous lawyers trying to protect FCA from lawsuits filed by people that are too stupid to operate a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
There are 3 ways to "bypass" the protection.

a. keep your foot lightly on the brake - so the brake lights are on
b. put your seatbelt on before you get into the truck so it is behind you.
c. buy a seatbelt extension piece - so the truck thinks the belt is on

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are 3 ways to "bypass" the protection.

a. keep your foot lightly on the brake - so the brake lights are on
b. put your seatbelt on before you get into the truck so it is behind you.
c. buy a seatbelt extension piece - so the truck thinks the belt is on
So if you buckle the drivers side seatbelt, you can open the drivers door and move the truck without having to keep your foot on the brake?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
"So if you buckle the drivers side seatbelt, you can open the drivers door and move the truck without having to keep your foot on the brake? "
Yes, correct.
With the extender, there is no need to latch the belt as it already thinks the belt is latched.
On the down side, you won't get the reminder to put on your seatbelt - because it already thinks it is on. Is that really a downside??

·
Registered
642 Posts
Good to know, thanks. What does the extender do for you other than just buckling the belt behind you.
You don't plug it in behind you. With the extender plugged into the truck's buckle you don't even have to plug your seatbelt in in front of or behind you. Just get in and go, even with the door open. When wearing your seatbelt (public roads) just wear your seatbelt normally, plugging into the extender. No need to remove/re-install the extender, leave it installed. Basically you've fooled the truck into thinking your seatbelt is plugged in, even though it isn't. I want to state that I DO wear my seatbelt when on public roads, BUT I also sometimes want to be able to move my truck around WITHOUT having to buckle-up EVERY TIME!
S6302736.JPG
S6302737.JPG
S6302735.JPG

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Option 4, take two seconds to adjust the side mirror to obtain an even better view of the obstacle than you would get by craning your neck out of your open door.
Missed the spot where I side it's actually used as a truck.

In tight quarters, the mirrors are often already against the cab. And unless mistaken, they don't bend down to look forward down the trail.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe that particular update is the fallout from Anton Yelchin's death after the park feature failed in his Jeep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some of us have trucks that are actually used as a truck. A few radio updates back they changed things so you can't have the door open and drive back or forward. Backing in a tight spot with trees or something else on the side--trying to avoid a tall rock in the trail...those door open driving needs just don't work without peering back or down with a door open folks! Even worse it seems like the update allows the transmission to start driving and then locks it. It's like slamming the tranny into park while you are driving. Granted it's slow speed, but NOT good!
Tape your door switch to the closed door position, Voila.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Option 4, take two seconds to adjust the side mirror to obtain an even better view of the obstacle than you would get by craning your neck out of your open door.
As the OP stated, some of us USE our trucks as trucks. There are numerous times moving the truck with the door open is preferred/necessary. I HATE the new "fix"....almost as much as I hate the shifter design.

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
"Using your truck as a truck" means different things to different people. If you don't like the autopark update then you can blame the dude who ran himself over with his Grand Cherokee and the legal system. If you want to do something about it you can use one of the aforementioned fixes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
With my 3rd Gen 2500, if the transmission is in REVERSE and the driver's door is opened, the horn goes into the "panic" mode until the door is closed or the transmission is taken out of REVERSE. The transmission does not lock up like others have described. I have read (prolly on this forum) that it is an option that is activated at the time of original purchase and that once activated, it cannot be deactivated. Most of the time it's not an issue but there are certainly times when backing my camper that I'd like to be able to look down directly alongside the cab without adjusting the mirror. In my case, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the seatbelt being fastened but now that I think about it, I never paid much attention to that. When backing the camper, I rarely have the seatbelt fastened. I'll have to try that "hack".

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I usually have my door open when pulling up on ramps, slightly easier to see how close you are to the end of the ramp by leaning out of the door vs. looking over the hood.

·
Registered
464 Posts
With my 3rd Gen 2500, if the transmission is in REVERSE and the driver's door is opened, the horn goes into the "panic" mode until the door is closed or the transmission is taken out of REVERSE. The transmission does not lock up like others have described. I have read (prolly on this forum) that it is an option that is activated at the time of original purchase and that once activated, it cannot be deactivated. Most of the time it's not an issue but there are certainly times when backing my camper that I'd like to be able to look down directly alongside the cab without adjusting the mirror. In my case, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the seatbelt being fastened but now that I think about it, I never paid much attention to that. When backing the camper, I rarely have the seatbelt fastened. I'll have to try that "hack".
It's no surprise that yours doesn't lock up under the conditions described above. That's something that came along after the shift knob was released, and started with the 4th gen 1500's. It was not an option that was activated at the time of original purchase, as you have surmised. It was a recall, which was applied as a firmware update (flash) when the fix for the recall was performed. Any 4th gen 1500 which was produced after the recall came out will likely have this from day one. You are correct about not being able to deactivate it once it's applied.
I have the seatbelt extender that someone posted above. It works great. I don't normally open the door when backing up, but there are times when I have when backing up a trailer. And the seatbelt extender works great for defeating the "safety feature".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts