DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched, MagnaFlow, Flowmaster, Borla, and Corsa. From shops that I have talked to, everyone wants to with a cat back setup. I live in Florida, no more exhaust inspections in years. I'd prefer to just remove the cat converter altogether. Its the 21st century, why do we still need them? I currently have the stock exhaust, added a K&N cold air intake, gave a little more rumble, I would like just a little more when sitting at a red light next to a Corvette or Challenger. I am thinking just a muffler replacement. The stock 2 1/2" pipes should be fine. Thoughts, opinions, recommendations all welcome.

John

·
Registered
684 Posts
First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! I went with the Magnaflow 18" muffler, 3" single in, dual 2.5 out. Later I added a better flowing y-pipe to get rid of the crushed-down restriction up front. I also went with Moe's 5" replacement tips. I'm very happy with the sound of mine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hello,
Well first, removing a catalytic converter is illegal, so there's that.

Second, your ECM is set to performance parameters based on a certain range of engine exhaust backpressure. Drastically reducing the back pressure by removing the catalyst element will likely need a customized ECM calibration.

Third, in "the 21st century", ECM-controlled engines still product EPA-declared pollutants (1) unburned hydrocarbons (2) oxides of nitrogen (3) carbon monoxide. Likely not as much as a carbureted engine, but still substantial. Only a 3-way catalytic converter reduces these pollutants to near zero ppm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I thought I was a car guy, Thank you for the education on cat converters and back pressures. Being on my 14th boat in 25 years, I have always understood the back pressure on marine engines, did not know that it also applied to automotive engines.

·
Registered
321 Posts
np - I was in engine development for decades. That's what this forum is for. I learn new stuff all the time too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts