DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone this is my first post so appreciate your patience,
I have a 2016 Ram Rebel Crew Cab 1500 5.7L 8spd with 3.92 rear end and I am having an issue because the dealership told me and also on ramtrucks.com it says that I have a payload capacity of about 1400lbs, but on the tire and loading placard on the door frame it says the payload rating is only 922lbs GVWR 6800lbs. This obviously leaves me with a conundrum because I have weighed the truck with myself and the toungue and hitch and it weighs in at 6900 lbs. The Dealer and the Customer assistance center were nice but both seem clueless and confused as well. I admit I am not an expert and I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me understand the discrepancy.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Honestly if its 100lbs its not that big of deal, but the issue is that Ram publishes the max payload and tow rating for specific trims and powertrain combinations. Now you can still add options to those like Ramboxes and a sunroof which adds weight and consequently cuts into that payload capacity.

The point is don't get hung up on published payload numbers- all that matters is your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is the maximum capacity that your truck can weigh when it is fully loaded. Subtract the weight of your truck from this (the actual weight, as in fill the tank and run it across a Cat scale) and that will get you your real payload capacity. Keep in mind that the weight of passengers eats into this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Thunderhorse I think you may have figured out the issue in that the salesman/website lists the payload without the 4 way suspension, ram box, bed liner, wheels, etc. and the salesman/website doesnt make that clear at all.
I do feel like this is a bit of dishonesty but I guess my feelings count for about jack in this situation.

Thank you anyway this had been a mystery to me and you provided a very good answer. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah there should be a number specific to your truck with all its options on the tread act sticker. Its the one in the door jamb with the recommended tire pressures on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been thinking about payload capacity as well. All I can come up is with is to remove the tailgate and move the spare and jack tools to the trailer.

The spare and jack tools should be between 50 and 70 lbs, I don't know what the tailgate weighs.

Looks like the answer will be to buy a smaller trailer. :)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I've been thinking about payload capacity as well. All I can come up is with is to remove the tailgate and move the spare and jack tools to the trailer.

The spare and jack tools should be between 50 and 70 lbs, I don't know what the tailgate weighs.

Looks like the answer will be to buy a smaller trailer. :)

That'd buy you a little. You'd still want to weigh the truck so you can subtract the new curb weight from GCWR and GVWR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts