DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Just read that as well. I guess it's about time. There's certainly been enough threads over the past 3 years complaining about this issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just read that as well. I guess it's about time. There's certainly been enough threads over the past 3 years complaining about this issue.
Agreed. The question now is, how will they actually fix it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting the article does not mention the 2018 model year...is the tailgate/locking mechanism different on a 15-17 vs 18?

·
3,247 Posts
Agreed. The question now is, how will they actually fix it?
I'm assuming they will replace the locking mechanism/actuator on all of the trucks. That seems to be the common fix that members have posted after they take their trucks in to the dealers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming they will replace the locking mechanism/actuator on all of the trucks. That seems to be the common fix that members have posted after they take their trucks in to the dealers.
True, but they would have had to have some type of limiter in the new actuator or it could still happen. People that have had it fixed at the dealer will likely need to get it swapped again to add in the limiter to stop the actuator from opening the latch. Just my thoughts tho

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know this has been a pretty common issue, good to see they're addressing it.

FCA US LLC is voluntarily recalling an estimated 1.1 million U.S.-market pickup trucks to upgrade their tailgate locking mechanisms.

An investigation by FCA US has discovered the power locking mechanisms in the tailgates of certain pickups share a small internal component that may break over time. If this were to happen, the vehicle’s tailgate may unlatch.

Read the rest at: https://moparinsiders.com/ram-recalls-2015-to-2017-ram-trucks-for-power-locking-tailgate-issue/

·
Registered
771 Posts
So when they're done with this recall, will it put the truck into park automatically if the tailgate is opened? Or maybe it will lock the tailgate anytime the passenger door is opened. Or maybe it will make my truck think it has a 32 gallon tank when it only has a 55 gallon tanks. I can't wait for this one.

·
3,247 Posts
Interesting the article does not mention the 2018 model year...is the tailgate/locking mechanism different on a 15-17 vs 18?
It is interesting that the 2018's are not included. I wonder if they replaced this "small internal component" on the 2018's? See link below.

True, but they would have had to have some type of limiter in the new actuator or it could still happen. People that have had it fixed at the dealer will likely need to get it swapped again to add in the limiter to stop the actuator from opening the latch. Just my thoughts tho
According to this story, there is some shared small internal component that can break over time. :4-dontknow:

https://moparinsiders.com/ram-recalls-2015-to-2017-ram-trucks-for-power-locking-tailgate-issue/

·
Registered
259 Posts
^^ Interesting indeed...I will post up here if I find anything once I speak with my dealer

·
3,247 Posts
Yup, the threads have been firing up today. There's one in the recall board and GD. You had me curious at first with your link. I've been chatting with a few other members here today about why the 2018's are bundled in under this recall. But your link also states 15' - 17' trucks only.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yup, the threads have been firing up today. There's one in the recall board and GD. You had me curious at first with your link. I've been chatting with a few other members here today about why the 2018's are bundled in under this recall. But your link also states 15' - 17' trucks only.
One of the articles I read said the 2018s arent included because they use a different part. My guess is that the 2018 part was fixed (built different/better) and they were waiting to ensure it really did fix the problem before using it on all affected trucks.

If you look on some of the OEM parts websites, for my 2017 it shows a part number for the "control unit, door" used in the tailgate then "superceded by" the same part number but with one letter higher on the end (i.e. went from AC to AD) which seems to be what happens when FCA makes production changes to a part after the original part was used/installed.

·
3,247 Posts
One of the articles I read said the 2018s arent included because they use a different part. My guess is that the 2018 part was fixed (built different/better) and they were waiting to ensure it really did fix the problem before using it on all affected trucks.

If you look on some of the OEM parts websites, for my 2017 it shows a part number for the "control unit, door" used in the tailgate then "superceded by" the same part number but with one letter higher on the end (i.e. went from AC to AD) which seems to be what happens when FCA makes production changes to a part after the original part was used/installed.
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the verifying, it does make sense. It's like they said "hey, let's try this part on the 2018's and see if it makes a difference". Survey says - recall issued for 15' - 17' trucks. :LOL:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great another recall. Just had the U61 CC recall done yesterday. What a fiasco at the dealership. Long lines for that recall. Stressed out service advisors. My service advisor broke down in tears she was so overwhelmed. Truck sat for 1 1/2 hours. After it was pulled in the actual work took 10 minutes. Wanted to also get my intermittent cruise control switch fixed but even with an appointment it would have taken all day just for them to diagnose. Also had to explain to the check in guy that U61 wouldn't fix that. He thought it would. Still need to take my Challenger in for the CC recall. It's only a 60 mile round trip for me. A few more recalls and I'll feel like I did when I owned a Chevy or as I called it, the Recall a Month Club.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Great another recall. Just had the U61 CC recall done yesterday. What a fiasco at the dealership. Long lines for that recall. Stressed out service advisors. My service advisor broke down in tears she was so overwhelmed. Truck sat for 1 1/2 hours. After it was pulled in the actual work took 10 minutes. Wanted to also get my intermittent cruise control switch fixed but even with an appointment it would have taken all day just for them to diagnose. Also had to explain to the check in guy that U61 wouldn't fix that. He thought it would. Still need to take my Challenger in for the CC recall. It's only a 60 mile round trip for me. A few more recalls and I'll feel like I did when I owned a Chevy.
I had the intermittent cruise issue on my 16 last year, turned out to be the button bank on the steering wheel. Seems to be common from what I have found. Still need to get the cruise recall done on mine, guess I'll wait and get these both done at the same time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had the intermittent cruise issue on my 16 last year, turned out to be the button bank on the steering wheel. Seems to be common from what I have found. Still need to get the cruise recall done on mine, guess I'll wait and get these both done at the same time.

Yep, someone else posted that he pinged the button with his finger to get it to work so I tried that and it does work until the next day and then I have to ping it a few times again.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My recall service is usually quick and painless, so no drama to me. I'm glad they're fixing something that hasn't broken on my truck yet ;)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the verifying, it does make sense. It's like they said "hey, let's try this part on the 2018's and see if it makes a difference". Survey says - recall issued for 15' - 17' trucks. :LOL:
Man- that s a typo- wanted to change it and couldn't anymore after I sent it off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts