DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2017 ram crew cab 4×4 few days ago. I ordered floor mats and step rails. I got under my truck looking at the setup. There is rust everywhere, driveshaft all the way down and all over. My 2003 expedition and my Impala together wouldn't come close to a 3rd of the rust the ram has. The rest of the truck is wonderful. I love my truck but I won't be looking for another one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
my 2015 has next to no rust other than some surface rust on the underside... Its all in how the previous owner treated it and what they used it for. Some job sites are extremely corrosive and if they did not spray off the underside of the truck it will eat every thing

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
I just bought a 2017 ram crew cab 4×4 few days ago. I ordered floor mats and step rails. I got under my truck looking at the setup. There is rust everywhere, driveshaft all the way down and all over. My 2003 expedition and my Impala together wouldn't come close to a 3rd of the rust the ram has. The rest of the truck is wonderful. I love my truck but I won't be looking for another one.
Last owner obviously treated it like crap and didn't take care of it. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 bighorn and I have no rust except for a little on the exhaust pipes (which is normal). I don't even have a rust proof coating or anything. Did you not look at the truck before you bought it???

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 2013 that I took delivery of new during that summer. Within 2 - 3 months the drive shaft was covered in a patina of rust. During the winters they use a ton of road salt here and even though I wash the undercarriage throughout the winter rust just can't be avoided over the long term. The oil pan was replaced a year or so ago as the original rotted out and started seeping oil. The replacement Mopar oil pan was painted black, but is now coated in rust too. I recently had the gas tank straps replaced due to rust. I take care of my truck. It's never been off road and never been on a construction site. In addition to how a previous owner may have treated your truck, rust is also due to the metallurgy in the components FCA used and overall environmental exposure of the locale.

In comparison, we had an Olds for 16 years. As I recall, in the 9 - 10 year timeframe, due to rust the fuel lines and transmission cooler lines were replaced, a brake line, and at some point the rear calipers. Otherwise the car was immaculate. Whenever I took it in for routine service, like oil changes, the mechanics would comment on how clean the under carriage was (as in almost no rust). Both vehicles driven on the same salty winter roads and maintained / washed the same. Totally different experience between the two concerning rust. I also had a GMC for over 10 years. It had about the same amount of rust underneath as my Ram, however it still had the original oil pan (which was solid) when I traded it for my Ram!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts