DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Touch choice here. I've got an offer of 35,900 for a SLT CC, cloth buckets with 8.4 and big horn package plus a few others - MSRP is 44025. Great DeAl. But i would have to add running boards.
However, I also got a great offer on a loaded 2013 FX4 with everything except the appearance package. MSRP of 50335 and the dealer has me at 42016 and I still haven't told them about a $750 private offer I have to use. Also, the fx4 is. 6 1/2 ft bed.

Gas mileage isn't as big a concern as my employer gives me a gas stipend that would likely cover monthly gas.

Need help because I like the Hemi and ride a little bit more in the ram but he FX4 basically offers what I would get in a Laramie, which I can't swing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I looked really hard at both the f150 and the RAM. I tend to be somewhat anal about such things and actually made myself a spreadsheet to do a comparison. I finally decided on the RAM because it had more to offer. I know the F150 is a great truck but it did not offer things I thought were important! Plus my wife really liked the styling of the RAM and I liked "Truck of the Year"!

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but for me the RAM was the one!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same with me! Looked and test drove both for 2 month, bought hemi laramie 8 speed. Lot more
For my money than f 150. Both have a list of problems...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Touch choice here. I've got an offer of 35,900 for a SLT CC, cloth buckets with 8.4 and big horn package plus a few others - MSRP is 44025. Great DeAl. But i would have to add running boards.
However, I also got a great offer on a loaded 2013 FX4 with everything except the appearance package. MSRP of 50335 and the dealer has me at 42016 and I still haven't told them about a $750 private offer I have to use. Also, the fx4 is. 6 1/2 ft bed.

Gas mileage isn't as big a concern as my employer gives me a gas stipend that would likely cover monthly gas.

Need help because I like the Hemi and ride a little bit more in the ram but he FX4 basically offers what I would get in a Laramie, which I can't swing.
You should have no problem getting a Laramie for less than the FX4.

I will say, I had pretty much the same choice you did. And the local Dodge dealer also has an adjacent Ford dealer. So, this is what I did -- I put the trucks next to each other and did my own "Side-By-Side" comparison.

1. Open and close the doors on the Ford. Then Slam the doors. The doors on the Ford just don't feel as solid.

2. Next, run your hands over the dash materials.. And knock around the dashboard, center console, etc. The ford is a bit more hollow sounding. And to be honest, the quality of the materials is not as nice. IMHO

3. Take both trucks to a large parking lot and park both of them. The Ram "Points" better into parking spots. I will say that the turning radius on the Ford seems a bit more forgiving -- But for some reason the F150's I always ended up crooked in parking spots. (NOTE: Neither of these truck Park or 360 like a Tundra. Tundras are a DREAM in a parking lot compared to these trucks...)

4. Find a rough road, or if your streets have reflectors in them drive over those. Get the chassis working a bit. Ram's suspension is much more forgiving (Esp vs the FX2/4 Fords) -- If you do a lot of off roading, the FX's will probably win here. But if your more street, the Ram wins Hands down.

Finally Engine: The Eco Boost is really nice engine. Pound for Pound it is a worthy Hemi competitor. But, It's not the Dodge 5.7. My One fear of the ecoboost is long term reliability. The engine makes sense to me in the Explorer, and the Flex. It would be AWESOME in a Ranger sized truck. But I'm not sold on the longevity of the Ecoboost in a true work truck. These trucks have literally only been on the road for 3 years -- It's going to be interesting how they stand up to true 100-150k "Daily Driver" tests, and not just put in a lab and ran balls to the wall for 1000 hours.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Look for a Laramine and do the comparison. I did and bought the RAM far better investment. The Hemi is bullet prood and the ecoboast ahs it's issues. I can say it's easier to deal with Ford as a manufacture than it is to deal with RAM. I love my dealer but RAM HQ is...well enough said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem finding a Laramie for that price.

In the end, it comes down to what you need, and what you want to spend. If the Ford will be stretching thebudget, then why not save some money and get the ram? If money is no object, then I would just buy a Laramie anyways.

At the end of the day, it's almost $6k difference. Personally, I'd rather have the Ram, and spend that extra 6k on something cool, like a camper, boat, etc ect

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bottom line the Ram over the Ford for many reason.

But, you come to a Ram forum and expect a different answer? If you went to the Ford forum and asked that they would all say Ford. I think you probably already know what you want and just wanted a conformation.

Edit: I concur with the above though... you should be able to find a Laramie for that similar price if that is your vehicle of choice. Try using Cars.com (or similar site) to do a 'fair market price' and hold the dealer to that invoice price. They are still making money in the end.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

I am confused by your post. You mention a great deal for the Ram at 36K and then a great deal for an F150 for 6k more? The way you are presenting your post is a no brainer, the Ram is by far the best deal and better option. All you have to do is spend about $400 for running boards.

If you are looking for a better deal on equivalently equipped trucks then by all means do so, match item for item and price for price. Do some shopping and dealing and I am sure you could find a Laramie better equipped for a cheaper price than the F150.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like he said, on a F150 forum (which I read more than this one) everybody will say Ford. NOT easier to deal with Ford! Man, you should read some nightmares Ford owners are having trying to get help from Ford when they have serious problems. Right now, my two trucks are: '93 Dakota 3.9 and '02 F150 5.4 Supercrew. That Dakota has been fantastic! F150 has been okay for me, but I had to spend $145 to have windshield removed and resealed because rain was leaking onto generic electronic module causing weird electrical problems - a $800 repair for a $135 part! Fan motor was coming on with keys in my pocket, etc. I hope the windshield seal was caught soon enough!

Anyway, I've never seen a truck I didn't like, but for my money, it'll be Ram, unless those boys who make them keep drinking and drugging while on break trying to build our trucks! That'll run me away from a Ram quick!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Like he said, on a F150 forum (which I read more than this one) everybody will say Ford. NOT easier to deal with Ford! Man, you should read some nightmares Ford owners are having trying to get help from Ford when they have serious problems. Right now, my two trucks are: '93 Dakota 3.9 and '02 F150 5.4 Supercrew. That Dakota has been fantastic! F150 has been okay for me, but I had to spend $145 to have windshield removed and resealed because rain was leaking onto generic electronic module causing weird electrical problems - a $800 repair for a $135 part! Fan motor was coming on with keys in my pocket, etc. I hope the windshield seal was caught soon enough!

Anyway, I've never seen a truck I didn't like, but for my money, it'll be Ram, unless those boys who make them keep drinking and drugging while on break from trying to build our trucks! That'll run me away from a Ram quick!!
I would really like to hear what Ford owners have to say about the new Ram trucks. Chrysler has done a pretty good job of stepping up their game when it comes to their vehicles -- and the 1500 is a great example of them dipping into the parts bins and putting together a great package.

Really, when I was searching for a truck, everything I read about the RAM was base of stereotypes of past models. People need to get over those. Just like people who say "Buy a Volkswagen, they run for ever..." They don't realize that VW's are electrical nightmares and mechanics pockets best friends. Sure, perhaps one may "run forever", but not with a complete functioning set of brake lights.

In the time I spend reading Ford Forums trying to come up with a decision between the 1500 and F150, it always seemed that their only attack was the dial drive selector. Okay. Beyond that it was "I knew a guy who owned a 2002 Ram. That thing was a piece of shit!"

*shrug* Well I guess that guy never had to change the spark plugs on a 2002 F150 ...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Anyway, I've never seen a truck I didn't like, but for my money, it'll be Ram, unless those boys who make them keep drinking and drugging while on break trying to build our trucks! That'll run me away from a Ram quick!!
Ram - Warren, MI and Saltillo, MX
Fx50 - Dearborn, MI - Kansas City, MO - Louisville, KY

Does it really make a difference?

If you don't want to buy a car manufactured where employees occasionally drink on their lunch time then I would think you better start building your own :LOL:

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
a bit off topic

Every business has employees that run to the store at lunch time to get a couple beers & a burger, especially in construction
those Dodge employees caught on camera smoking pot, were sharing a joint between several people, now if they each smoked one by themselves, i would be concerned

when it comes to new vehicles, Ram, Ford, GM, etc.,
you have things that you can't do without, you have to decide just What you plan to do with it. Are you going to the desert dunes, get a Ford, if you plan to rock climbing, get a Jeep or Land Rover, If you want to travel & comfort is your thing, get a Ram

·
Registered
377 Posts
a bit off topic

Every business has employees that run to the store at lunch time to get a couple beers & a burger, especially in construction
those Dodge employees caught on camera smoking pot, were sharing a joint between several people, now if they each smoked one by themselves, i would be concerned

when it comes to new vehicles, Ram, Ford, GM, etc.,
you have things that you can't do without, you have to decide just What you plan to do with it. Are you going to the desert dunes, get a Ford, if you plan to rock climbing, get a Jeep or Land Rover, If you want to travel & comfort is your thing, get a Ram
Pretty much nailed it. If you want the Cadillac of trucks right now, get the Ram. It's not the fastest, the most powerful, won't tow the most, isn't the best off road, but it's the best for the price and does all those things well enough to get by for the average person.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking at both too. It's hard to get past the looks of the Ford. The current body style It can look sort of cool in a blocky way (especially with bigger tires / wheels), but the 2013 FX grill is really awful. It looks like it was popped out of a big plastic mold. They are super-nice inside, but I don't like the way it drives compared to the Ram. So I've pretty much eliminated the Ford at this point.

There have not been any definitive road tests yet, but IMO there is every reason to believe that the Hemi 8-speed will equal or beat the EB. But even when you are able to tune the Hemi 8-speed, I don't think it will keep up with a tuned EB, they are pretty sick. Long-term durability might be an X factor on a tuned EB though. And the EB exhaust sounds bad (as in terrible) from the outside when you get on it...not so bad on the inside though. Of course the hemi sound is pure pleasure.

By the way, here in the Dallas area I've seen 2013 FX4 EBs on Autotrader listed for 10k off msrp. Might require a trade or some other BS, but I'd be going for 10k off on a 50k truck that is mostly a carryover from 2011.

I'm waiting for now. I'm hoping that when the GM twins get released there will be better deals on the Dodges.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seems like some of y'all boys kind of didn't get what I meant. Oh well, I'm a geezer raised in a totally different era than smoking pot or drinking at lunch when I worked construction. Way back then I can still hear my boss yelling out to some new whippersnapper, "Hey boy, tuck that shirttail in!". Forget shorts on a construction job.

By the way, I'd get the Ram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just traded my 2012 FX4 Ecoboast for a 2013 Ram.

Ecoboast was OK but I had it chipped. Ram much better ride and quality interior.

My last 2 trucks before the Ford were Rams (2011-2010 )

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input on this - I think karma is bringing me back to the Ram. Suffice to say, not impressed with the Ford dealer. They added an extra $2000 to their price (claimed it was standard practice not to include destination fee in their quote) and claimed that my quote expired three days ago.

Heading to check out, and likely buy, the Ram tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I test drove everything, including FX4 and 4x4 Ford Ecoboost trucks, and the Ram. I too really like the looks of the FX4, a lot, but it didn't ride very nice at all. The 4x4 Ford rode better but didn't look as good. The interior is where the big difference was for me, after the ride. I thought the Ram rode a lot nicer than the Ford, and the interior blew the Ford away. The seats, dash, everything, are way nicer than the Ford. I was sold after driving them and ordered my Sport, now I'm just sitting here waiting! I come from driving a Chevy truck, so I'm not biased toward either truck, picked the Ram because I tested and studied everything to death and it was the winner!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts