DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Cape Cod last week in the Ram. Tanker truck past me at 70 MPH and pulled in front of me right away, got maybe 50 feet and his front tire exploded. I was hard on the brakes but still felt many pieces hit the front of my truck. I was able to pull over behind him, checked the Ram over and was happy to find no damage. Different story for the other guy.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
He was lucky & so were you

When a front semi truck tire goes like that, the tire rubber, its called a GATOR, bites everything, fenders, air lines, fuel lines, etc.
Then the rear tires toss it out the back end & it just lays there waiting on the next vehicle to run over it & get the bumper & whatever else it can grab onto

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Wow, you're both quite lucky. That'll get the blood pressure up a bit.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
very lucky, I had a similar incident put a crack right through my aluminum hood. Had to get it replaced.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Where's the pic of your bumper?

It wasn't until after I got a truck that I realized how cars tend to put your grape right next to an 18 wheeler's tires-separated by no more than a pane of glass and some thin sheet steel. Makes ya wonder why some take so long to pass semis

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Sheesh, glad no one was hurt. I'd imagine a great deal of instability occurs when a big rig loses a front steering tire like that at those speeds.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Mmm, love Ignition Orange

1 - 9 of 9 Posts