DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, Ram released figures on the 2019 1500’s fuel economy, and we can see exactly what the savings are. For the Hemi, the magic number is 2 mpg for the rear-drive pickup — that’s the gap between the standard Hemi and the Hemi hybrid. It’s a substantial number over the truck’s life, since, if the pickup travels 12,000 “typical” miles in a year, it will use 706 gallons without the hybrid, and 632 gallons with it. Multiply 74 gallons per year times a few hundred thousand trucks on the roads, times the twenty years or so they should last, and you have a pretty large number.

V6 RWD 20 City and 25 Highway. V6 4X4 19 City and 24 Highway

https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/09...e-boost-for-the-ram-v6-and-hemi-hybrids-42071

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
20 city for a full size truck is legit impressive, and the Pentastar is a perfectly viable engine in a truck with the 8 speed behind it. As long as the system proves reliable they're going to eat up a ton of fleet sales with this as the base engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Burned a tankfull over the long weekend with a trip through the mountains, just over 25 mpg highway average for the drive, box full of camping gear and 4 adults in the cab.
3:21 rear end with my 8 speed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best I got with my 2014 ram 1500 V6 was 26.8 with the 3.55 gear. I need to dump my eco diesel soon and not sure what engine to get. The V6 just seems little under power for the truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At 305 hp it does ok in my opinion, but then my last truck experience was like one of those 318's with about 140 hp and a 3 speed manual. When I really want to go fast these days, there are motorcycles

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
FWIW the Hemi and 8HP70/75 is way more powerful than the rest of the truck can make use of. I don't think a 3.6 3.55 is a bad option

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it would benefit the engine if it had more torque. The 3.6 with the 3.55 is a good combo. My dad has the 3.6 with the 3.21 and can notice a difference for sure. I bet the 3.6 with the 3.92 would be big improvement.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I have a 3.45 rear in my Durango and its pretty good. IDK how much of a difference it would make if it weren't RWD with the additional loss of power from a driven front axle.

I do miss the low end torque of my Hemi when I drive it, but at the same time you have to be realistic about what you're expecting from a naturally aspirated six shooter

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The v6 is a good commuter and light work truck; the engine is actually pretty impressive for a smaller v6, but as mentioned, a little light on low rpm power.

20 city for a full size truck is legit impressive, and the Pentastar is a perfectly viable engine in a truck with the 8 speed behind it. As long as the system proves reliable they're going to eat up a ton of fleet sales with this as the base engine.
Considering the economy ratings of the smaller Tacoma, Ridgeline, Colorado, and Frontier are essentially on par with the ratings of the v6 Ram, I agree.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
I have he Pentastar with 3.21 and best MPG so far was 24.6 @75 MPH. But the avg ib 22.4 @ 75. so I am happy with that for a full size truck :) Power for me is fine! Not my old 390 but good enough for this old fart lol. I also do not tow and even when loaded with my grandsons junk from college still good power. I have driven a few Hemi's from the Auction and Hell yea they are a nice kick in the pants :O

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
FWIW the Hemi and 8HP70/75 is way more powerful than the rest of the truck can make use of. I don't think a 3.6 3.55 is a bad option
my 14 was the v6 with the 3.55; best i ever got was 26.4 alone in the truck with the stock offroad tires, highway.
otherwise i averaged about 20 mixed driving

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got a 4X4, Crew, 5.7MDS VVT, 3.21 and with ruffly a 70/30 split on highway/city driving, I'm averaging a combined 17.3mpg.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Question for the V6 in a Gen 4 with 8 speed, 4x4, and 3:21 axle ratio group. I want to be able to tow a boat around my area (Great Lakes) including launching and retrieving. The boat/trailer combo is just under 5,000 pounds. Nothing extream, mostly surface streets traveling less than 55 MPH and some freeway at 65 MPH. I'm trying to get a feel how the Gen 5 V6/E-Torque in a Longhorn would do. The eBrochure says the truck configuration can tow a maximum of 6,370 so the boat easily fits the trucks specification. I'd like to know what to expect in real-world use.

There just isn't a V6 in a Gen5 to be found anywhere around me just yet, dealers are waiting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Use the Handy Shift Button

The best I got with my 2014 ram 1500 V6 was 26.8 with the 3.55 gear. I need to dump my eco diesel soon and not sure what engine to get. The V6 just seems little under power for the truck.
Underpowered at 305 hp , NO ! Simple and Easy Solution is to hit the "lower gear" button magically placed by the right thumb . Hit the Button Twice (occasionally 3xs) and the RPM will jump to 2500 -3500 rpm and NOW you can pass the Space Shuttle with ease.
Torque with the Pen/6 cylinder is not available But RPM is available in large proportions so USE IT and avoid sluggishness :smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question for the V6 in a Gen 4 with 8 speed, 4x4, and 3:21 axle ratio group. I want to be able to tow a boat around my area (Great Lakes) including launching and retrieving. The boat/trailer combo is just under 5,000 pounds. Nothing extream, mostly surface streets traveling less than 55 MPH and some freeway at 65 MPH. I'm trying to get a feel how the Gen 5 V6/E-Torque in a Longhorn would do. The eBrochure says the truck configuration can tow a maximum of 6,370 so the boat easily fits the trucks specification. I'd like to know what to expect in real-world use.

There just isn't a V6 in a Gen5 to be found anywhere around me just yet, dealers are waiting.
I have that exact config on a Gen 5. Haven't towed with it yet but compared to my old Jeep Cherokee 4x4, with its 190 hp straight six that we used to tow 5,000 lbs with all the time, I have confidence this truck could do it with ease. The 8 speed trans is quite nice.

Depending on the launch ramp you might need 4x4 Low from time to time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My Dad had a 2013 Silverado with the 4.8L v8 AND 4 speed auto. I've only driven 1 Pentastar, but I'd say it would eat the Chevy's lunch.Also the 4.8 was a bit of a gas hog.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2019 DT new body with pentastar e-torque V-6 . Truck pulls my 4000 lb boat and trailer with ease. Going down I-95 you would think the truck frame and trailer frame are one. That's how great it pulls and tracks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts