DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this truck from a friend. Has been sitting for over a year. Blew 1 brake line, fixed it and two weeks later the driverside rear line has blown. Having trouble finding the area of the leak. Any advice and/or where I can find a brake line diagram? Can't afford a mechanic right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What it might be is there is a divider block just behind driver front tire that feeds back brake line this might be what your looking for. Its kind of hard to see its hidden by inner fender liner and in a good spot for fittings to rust. I replaced back lines on both of my gen 2's. By the way if you have to replace the bacl line that runs down the frame. I can't remember what size it is but for long bed or short bed extended cab it will take 12 ft of hard line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im new, old guy, on site but this is what ive recently done , replaced 10ft break line that runs from front drivers side block, to rear t block on top differintaly , line broke just behind gas tank up in I beam where is connected to hose fitting, it cost just about $40. for line at dealer, that didnt have to be flared and was pre bent to shape. Fit right in took about two hours and then bleed system. this line was 3/16 inch. was done to 2001 ram truck larime 5.9l green no can somebody help me with a b s bleeding front same truck?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
to bleed the brakes, you start with the right rear, move to the left rear, then right front, then finally left front. I hook a piece of 3/16 clear fuel line to the bleader valves and run it a clear bottle of brake fluid so I can see the air evacuating in the system. Have some one pump the brakes 3 to 4 times and hold, then loosen the bleeder valve and watch for air. once all the air stops coming out of the line, tighten the valve back up, and repeat until no more air bubbles are seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
break line broke no 5.9 15oo 2001 truck

Thank for the info, that helps , now im in the proses of replacing front disc break lines, in front, lines form mfg. are costly im looking at lines from parts store however, the 3/16 OD line that i need, has a smaller ID than the mfg. original, not by much, Is this going to cause a problem with ABS system? i understand that abs works on change of pres. thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Break line

photo.JPG

would someone be able to tell what this is called? What does it do? And if i need to change it. The break line that runs from the block behind the front left tire connects to this which is on the frame near the rear left tire. PS. THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN UP SIDE DOWN. OOPS!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
View attachment 44168

would someone be able to tell what this is called? What does it do? And if i need to change it. The break line that runs from the block behind the front left tire connects to this which is on the frame near the rear left tire. PS. THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN UP SIDE DOWN. OOPS!!

Thank you.
That is what is called the load sensing proportioning valve... What it does is when you load the bed with stuff, it will add weight and thus lowering the frame down closer to the rear axle. This lets more brake line pressure reach the rear to help stabilize the breaking. It looks pretty rusty but I don't see any leaking... I would buy some WD40 rust remover and hit the rusted stuff to stop the rusting. The spray some lube on the moving parts and it should be ok... Hope this helps you :smileup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank for the info, that helps , now im in the proses of replacing front disc break lines, in front, lines form mfg. are costly im looking at lines from parts store however, the 3/16 OD line that i need, has a smaller ID than the mfg. original, not by much, Is this going to cause a problem with ABS system? i understand that abs works on change of pres. thanks for any help!
I think you should be ok:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's no problem... you should be able to take it off, just make sure to hit all of the fittings with good penatraiting oil and let it set for a few minutes before trying to take them off :smileup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts