DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting the divider & floor kit p/n 82211464AC for my 6-4" bed rambox. Mopar lists this item as being for the 5'7" rambox. The moparonline parts guys tell me it will fit. I'm not sure yet. Does anyone know if the rambox on both bed sizes is the same length, or more specifically if the flat floor plates fit both lengths? I'm sure the vertical dividers will fit, its the horizontals I'm not so sure of. My rambox lids are 65-1/2" long and the box inside measured towards inside is 60" long (drivers side). The indents where the floor dividers go are angled at the wheelwell hump, so measured thru the center of the box front to back they are 16'1/4" for the front well, and 15" for the back well. Can someone with a short bed rambox please take a couple measurements for me so I can determine if the floor dividers will fit?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think maybe I can answer my own question. I found the instruction sheet on the 5'7" divider kit and the interior configuration looks different. It shows 3 vertical divider slots on each side, I have 4. The illustrations of the floor pieces look like different profiles than what I need. I'd go look at a short rambox if only the dealers around here had any. They don't stock them because apparently there isn't much demand and it raises the price of the truck. So, I guess I'll just wait for mother Mopar to release a kit for the 2012 long rambox. I'd still appreciate any dimensions or interior pix of the short boxes anyone might have.... and not filled with beer and ice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Long rambox is different

Been doing some research and it turns out that the new long rambox is a different design and materials than the shorter earlier version. I'm contemplating making my own dividers and needed to find out what type of plastic to use. I'll make cardboard templates and cut pieces out of plastic sheet material. But what to use? ABS, PVC, GRP, Poly? Turns out poly may be the right answer.

Found the following article:
Asahi Kasei Plastics Named to SPE® Innovation Award for Materials Supplied on Dodge RamBox® Storage Container

FOWLERVILLE, Mich., Nov. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Asahi Kasei Plastics North America, Inc. and Penda Corp. shared the stage in Livonia, Mich. at the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE®) Automotive Innovation Awards Gala with Chrysler Group LLC, winning the "Most Innovative Use of Plastics" award in the Body Exterior category for the Dodge RamBox® assembly. The RamBox® storage system sports the industry's largest twin-sheet thermoformed lid and is also the largest, most versatile, lockable, waterproof storage and cargo management system available in a pickup truck. Now in its 41st year, the SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition & Gala is the largest and oldest recognition event in the automotive and plastics industries.
"Winning this award is a first for our company," said John Moyer, president of Asahi Kasei Plastics. "It is a testament to our organization's talent and innovative spirit. This is a proud moment for our employees."
"When the design challenge of the larger RamBox® came up, it was clear the application would require something heavy duty," said Senior Technical Consultant, Russ Herlache of Penda Corp., the system supplier for the program. "No one other than Asahi Kasei thought this could be done in polypropylene – everyone else wanted to sell us more costly nylon."
The larger RamBox® posed tougher engineering challenges. The lid still needed to be able to support the weight of two 250-pound men, requiring the new structure to be stronger than its predecessor. The box needed to pass 3 to 5Gs of force (100 pound load, 1 million cycles) to pass durability requirements, plus also needed to pass a point-load test (20 pound load, 5 inch drop).
Asahi Kasei developed two new and distinct UV-resistant Thermylene® grades – one for the twin-sheet thermoformed lid (Thermylene P6-15FG-0741) and one for the injection-molded bin (P8-40FG-4611) – that maximized performance while reducing weight. The weight savings is projected to save $3 million USD over the life of the program vs. alternative technologies (long-glass thermoplastic polypropylene (LFT-PP), short-glass nylon (polyamide, PA) 6/6, sheet-molding compound (SMC), and bulk-molding compound (BMC)).
"Asahi Kasei Plastics set a new benchmark for high performance short-glass reinforced polypropylene," adds Herlache of Penda. "Not only did the new materials they developed meet all the performance criteria, they also enabled a number of industry firsts for manufacturing and processing innovations."
The materials allowed Penda to replace the blow molding process used on the first generation RamBox® lid, creating a stiff yet lightweight part at lower tooling and processing costs. Tight tolerances were maintained with novel cooling and processing methods. Twin-sheet thermoforming also has stronger weld-line strength, better wall thickness control, and enhanced dimensional control through robotic trimming.
"Asahi Kasei's Thermylene® short-glass polypropylene solutions helped us meet the RamBox® design challenges that included customer appeal, good surface appearance, and durability," said Herlache.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
*re-surfacing an old thread*

How did you make out edd5? Any updates/reviews and/or pictures to share?

I'm also interested in the RAMBOX STORAGE CARGO BED MANAGEMENT SYSTEM but at app. $120.00 plus shipping is kinda ridiculous to me. I've never seen them in person but all the pictures I've seen of them portrays them to be a flimsy carboard-like material.

I'm a fan of ABS Plastic for it's ease of use, great durability and excellent logevity. I just ordered some 1/8" thick ABS Plastic from Amazon and will carboard-template my Rambox this week. I went with the 1/8" thickness because it's the easiest to work with as I've used it before many times. Anymore than this makes it tough to cut with your ordinary utility knife and any less may not support the weight of equipment you throw into the boxes.

I hope to have it completed by the week's end and will post pictures here upon so.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rambox dividers

Well, I have confirmed that the kit offered by Mopar only fits the short 5-7" rambox and will not fit my long 6'-3" rambox. So far no news from mother mopar on a kit for the long box. You are doing what I have been thinking of, that is making your own dividers. Thus far I haven't done a damn thing, been kinda busy and it really hasn't been a high priority item. I think you are on the right track making templates and cutting your own plastic. Let me know how it turns out. I'm going to do the same if mopar doesn't come up with one. I'm considering 1/4' thick HPDE plastic which is used for cutting boards and is fairly inexpensive. On the plus side my long ramboxes have proven to be watertight, I'm liking them a lot and hope that in the future we will get an electronic lock/unlock kit for them similar to the tailgate.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Well, I have confirmed that the kit offered by Mopar only fits the short 5-7" rambox and will not fit my long 6'-3" rambox. So far no news from mother mopar on a kit for the long box. You are doing what I have been thinking of, that is making your own dividers. Thus far I haven't done a damn thing, been kinda busy and it really hasn't been a high priority item. I think you are on the right track making templates and cutting your own plastic. Let me know how it turns out. I'm going to do the same if mopar doesn't come up with one. I'm considering 1/4' thick HPDE plastic which is used for cutting boards and is fairly inexpensive. On the plus side my long ramboxes have proven to be watertight, I'm liking them a lot and hope that in the future we will get an electronic lock/unlock kit for them similar to the tailgate.
Okay cool.

Side note: My RamBox storage have also proven to be water-tight. We've had some decent down-pours here of late and, upon opening them, it was a pleasant suprise to find not a drop of water was in either side's compartment.

Yeah, trust me, I've been keeping my eye out for the locking solenoid for the RamBox compartments too. I have my truck booked at the dealership for next week to have the Mopar locking tailgate kit installed and asked the parts department if they've seen any interest in the same type of thing for the RamBox models. The parts Mngr. told me interest in that part has been off the chain from RamBox owners and that he hrecently forwarded this to Chrysler's parts division.

I haven't given up hope.

:smileup:

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Update: Called my dealership parts' manager yesterday and ordered this Mopar OEM part [82211464AC]. Figured I'd make things easy for myself and just trace the OEM panels out for a perfect fit and then return the items for a refund..... rather than make cardboard tempaltes.

I told him my plans and he said that was fine. It almost always helps to be in good relations with people from your delaership.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Called my dealership parts' manager yesterday and ordered this Mopar OEM part [82211464AC]. Figured I'd make things easy for myself and just trace the OEM panels out for a perfect fit and then return the items for a refund..... rather than make cardboard tempaltes.

I told him my plans and he said that was fine. It almost always helps to be in good relations with people from your delaership.
That will work if you have the SHORT 5-7" bed ramboxes. If you have the longer 6'-3" bed ramboxes as I do none of the divider panels in that kit will fit. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Update: received my OEM Rambox Storage Dividers and was pleasantly surprised. They are constructed from a heavy duty ABS Plastic type material and are app. 5ml in thickness. They are very rigid and have next to no flex. I was so impressed that I've decided to keep them rather than construct my own like I originally planned to.

Fit is very good and molds around the storage box's curvatures and whatnot well.

I'll post pictures this evening for those contemplating the same route.

Definitely recommended.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: received my OEM Rambox Storage Dividers and was pleasantly surprised. They are constructed from a heavy duty ABS Plastic type material and are app. 5ml in thickness. They are very rigid and have next to no flex. I was so impressed that I've decided to keep them rather than construct my own like I originally planned to.

Fit is very good and molds around the storage box's curvatures and whatnot well.

I'll post pictures this evening for those contemplating the same route.

Definitely recommended.
Glad to hear they worked out for you. You have the "short" ramboxes right? I have not ordered these because I have heard they will not fit the "long" ramboxes. Hopefully mother mopar will see fit to issue a set for the long boxes soon. Pix would be nice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6-4" Rambox divider update

Mopar finally came out with a divider kit for the long rambox earlier this year. Up till now all you could get was the divider kit for the short 5'7" rambox which will not fit the long box. At a list of $189 its kind of expensive for what it is. I found it on ebay for $158 and ordered it up. Its p/n 82212966 and is listed as being for the 2013 long rambox. My truck is a 2012. The 4 flat pieces (2 per side) and 8 vertical dividers (4 per side) are nicely made and fit great. However, only 2 of the 4 lid nets will fit. The kit has 2 long nets and 2 short nets; apparently the auto locking mechanism on the 2013 trucks takes up lid space and requires shorter rear nets. My truck (manual box locks) is setup for 4 long nets. The lids already had holes and plugs for 3 of the 4 required standoffs per net and so I only had to drill 1 hole in the plastic lid standoff points to mount each net. Simple to mount net buttons, just pry out the existing 1/4" plastic hole plugs and insert the new longer plugs & spacers. Bottom line, I have mounts for 4 nets (2 per lid) but only 2 nets that will fit. The other 2 nets are too short.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2014 Longhorn with rambox configuration is due to arrive in about 2 weeks. I'm naturally anxious to see it. One of the key items is a set of dividers for the ramboxes. My truck is the shortbed, so thanks to your post, I know the correct part number (which was NOT the correct part number for you). My question is...do you know how wide, meaning deep the rambox is? Looks like about 10 inches, but wonder if you know exactly? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Glad to hear they worked out for you. You have the "short" ramboxes right? I have not ordered these because I have heard they will not fit the "long" ramboxes. Hopefully mother mopar will see fit to issue a set for the long boxes soon. Pix would be nice.
Yes, I do have the short bed.

I love the dividers.

Reactions: PaulMys
1 - 16 of 16 Posts