DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my rambox, esp. the bed divider.

The aluminum rails, I mostly understand them but wonder about the bottom part that has 7 slots in it. Anybody know what that is for?

I can see maybe it prevents the bed divider from being pulled up when locked, but if so why did they not have it on the full length of the rail? And what are the slots for?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At around 4:15 or 4:20 in that video they start talking about the movable cleats. If you look closely, just below that cleat is a flange with 7 slots in it. That's what I am wondering about. The flange does not go for the entire length of the aluminum rail, but only about 2/3 of it.

I also notice there is a channel at the top of the aluminum rail that goes the full length. I wonder what that is for too.

Maybe one or both of these is for tonneau covers?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am not sure of the original intent of the rail features you mentioned. I also have Ram Boxes. But, The top channeling on the rails, are being used for rain gutters. (I have the BakFlip G-2) and there are attachments for draining. As far as the lower section with slots, I just use those for bungee cord hook points.

But then I try not to over think, cause it hurts. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
A guess... The main purpose is for stiffening the rail (think angle iron vs flat bar). They add the slot to make somewhat useful for attaching light weight things to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Talking to a salesman today about the rails. According to him, Mopar has a toolbox that fits inside the rails. you can slide it back and forth. Makes sense, if you think about it you couldn't hang and aftermarket tool box in the bed, it would interfere with the ramboxes on the sides.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the ideas.

I notice there is a pronounced curve in the rails. That's a little strange, as if there is some side pressure.

I also noticed the ram boxes are not symmetrical. The compartment on the passenger side is an inch or so wider, so if something doesn't fit on the driver side, you might try the other one. I found that out when making dividers for the box (there is a provision inside for a few dividers).

I am thinking of making a half-tonneau that normally sits in the back (for reduced wind resistance) but can be slid forward to access the bed, or slid back and removed for full bed access. The black caps at the back end of the rails come off if you push through the hole underneath.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I wish I had known about Ramboxes when I bought my truck... I would have insisted on them. Next truck... next truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a solution for putting on a rack with Rambox that also has the tonneu cover? I am thinking mount in front and back of rambos in the 6-8" area. Then with rails should be able to manage a few hundred LBS (kayaks) as well as fly rod cases. I have search and can't find anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts