DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab 6-4 bed with Ramboxes. When I first picked up the truck, I noticed the alignment was very slightly off on the front drivers side. The Rambox lid closes fine but the front end of the Rambox lid does not come down enough. I tried many adjustments with the catch and the hinges. Today I noticed things have progressed and the warping is getting very bad. So bad, with the Rambox lid closed, I can get my finger inside and over the rubber weatherstripping.

My question is this, has anyone ordered and replaced the Rambox lid? The price is not too much. I am curious as to the procedure and difficulty.

Could this be a warranty claim? Maybe. I am certainly over the 1 year mark. But I am absolutely not going to start a back and forth with the dealer wasting my time. My time is far more valuable than the few hundred bucks for the new lid.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,643 Posts
This has been covered in an old thread, but it's "usually" due to the actual container mold variation from the internal mounting points and not the lid/hinge. You can shim or wiggle the datum points but it will result in a profile misalignment. GM took a crack at this market last year with their high desert but the tolerancing stack up makes every truck difficult to hit nominal, especially when targets are non-ram-box oriented..

I was previously an engineer for the tier 1 hinge supplier of both, so if none of that makes sense see what your dealer says.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do a quick search for Rambox Problems and you will see what others are saying about warpage and how they dealt with it.

You should Definitely go to your dealer and see if it's under warranty. You should also check if there is a recall or tsb since It's not a new problem.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I would try with the warranty route first. Are you under 36k miles?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am at 15K for mileage now. I did quite a bit of searching but could not find a replacement step by step. I am not so much concerned with the cause. I know the lid needs a replacement. I know its a known issue with prior TSB's, etc.
Like I said, going to the dealer is an option I'd like to avoid (warranty covered or not).

Garc- Are you saying the tub portion could be causing the misalignment? I am going to put a long straight edge on it tonight to see how true it is. We'll see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link Garc. I did attempt to shim the hinge on the backside in an effort to encourage the front to get lower.

The bump stops have no effect of course as the corner never gets low enough.

·
Registered
612 Posts
That should be covered by the warranty. Unless they can prove that you did something like over-stuff the box and then closed the lid. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I do not want to take it to the dealer is because the whole thing is very time consuming. I have had the same issue in the past with Jeep/Chrysler dealers. You bring it in, they look at it. Then say they can't find anything wrong. Then if you convince them something is wrong, they need to order a part. Pickup the truck and then take it back when the part arrives. On and on. I did try and pursue going through the dealer and they just wanted me to bring it in. I wanted to review if they had experienced the issue before. I offered to email a picture. If someone had a fix, I would just buy the parts myself and correct.

When I had a 2010 Wrangler with a TSB recall, I had a similar experience. I call ahead and tell them why I am bringing it in and confirming they will have the part on hand to do the work. I drop it off and then they call me to confirm "yes, your vehicle needs the work done." Of course it needs the work, I am within the VIN range / date of manufacturer! Complete waste of a day. Bring it back when the part shows up. Just ship the part to me and I'll put it in at that point.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The reason I do not want to take it to the dealer is because the whole thing is very time consuming. I have had the same issue in the past with Jeep/Chrysler dealers. You bring it in, they look at it. Then say they can't find anything wrong. Then if you convince them something is wrong, they need to order a part. Pickup the truck and then take it back when the part arrives. On and on. I did try and pursue going through the dealer and they just wanted me to bring it in. I wanted to review if they had experienced the issue before. I offered to email a picture. If someone had a fix, I would just buy the parts myself and correct.

When I had a 2010 Wrangler with a TSB recall, I had a similar experience. I call ahead and tell them why I am bringing it in and confirming they will have the part on hand to do the work. I drop it off and then they call me to confirm "yes, your vehicle needs the work done." Of course it needs the work, I am within the VIN range / date of manufacturer! Complete waste of a day. Bring it back when the part shows up. Just ship the part to me and I'll put it in at that point.
Ok. I'm not aware of any warranty work that can occur without the dealer exa.ining your vehicle and co firming the issue. Parts availability is a separate issue but the fact that they do t stock all parts and may need to order some is routine. The dealer also check for other open recalls that you can benefit from

Good luck finding a solution to your issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts