DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, heres one i can get...
i have a 360 in my 98, after short trips, or exteneded decompression (going down hill for a ways) the next time i fire up my truck it smokes blue. after long trips on the hyway its fine, but short trips, or long downhill driving then shutoff (i live at the bottom of a huge hill) and she puffs blue.
pcv valve seems fine as it sucks while running, a friend of mine suggested it may be a stuck ring, but i have also heard about the intake manifold gaskets causing this, the motor has 700k km on it so its not worh doing the intake, but if its determined to be pcv, then it will be changed, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
hey guys, heres one i can get...
i have a 360 in my 98, after short trips, or exteneded decompression (going down hill for a ways) the next time i fire up my truck it smokes blue. after long trips on the hyway its fine, but short trips, or long downhill driving then shutoff (i live at the bottom of a huge hill) and she puffs blue.
pcv valve seems fine as it sucks while running, a friend of mine suggested it may be a stuck ring, but i have also heard about the intake manifold gaskets causing this, the motor has 700k km on it so its not worh doing the intake, but if its determined to be pcv, then it will be changed, thanks in advance
It might be leaky valve stem seals, or it could be the rings, they might be excessively worn. Better do a cold compression test to check the rings.
It is a good idea to fix this asap because you could end up having to replace the CAT from damage.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
^^ My thoughts exactly^^

I'm guessing to narrow it down it could be one of the front valve stem seals due to the incline. As the truck warms up the valve stem seals become slightly more pliable and swell up a little.

At the stage you're at you may be able to just pressurize the cylinder, pull the rocker arm and install new seals one at a time. Couple hours work and you're good to go.

I've even doubled up on 'em once where I was able to put on the mushroom cap seals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks for the quick response, i am a chevy guy normally, replacing valve seals have been done before lol, i have to decide weather to do it though, as i may be replacing the engine, but this is getting rude, it pumps out a lot of smoke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts