DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pics or even advice on the raptors 5" or 6" nerfs bars? It's really hard buying something without see it in person! Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wow! I've got 4" Raptors and think they are just about right. I can't imagine how far 6" ovals must stick out!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The RunningBoardWorld.com website at the top of the page has a video of installation and descriptions as well for the Ionic brand of 5". I am looking hard at them and you can see what they look like installed as well. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Barnyard hows the gap between the bars and the truck? I'm looking for a close fit that doesn't hang too low....
It's a couple of inches below the rocker panel (at least). They aren't tucked up really close like the Go-Rhinos but they aren't way out away from the body like tradition nerf bars (Westins) either.

It took some getting used to the rather small step area of the 4" ovals. There's really only (1) place to put your foot without slipping off the bar, especially when getting out of the cab. We like them a lot. They keep me from sliding out of the seat to the ground when getting out.

I kind of wish they were black but the lifetime warranty (as opposed to the (10) yr. for the powder coated version) won me over.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I decided on the Ionic Raptor 6" ovals and they arrived today. I am planning to try to install them tomorrow weather permitting. I will post pictures when done.

One thing I a a little upset about is that they are "MADE IN CHINA" per the sticker on the box. I really like to buy American if I have a choice. We will see!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well after dealing with walking pneumonia all week, I decided to install my new step bars that came in last week. They are the new 6" Ionic Raptors in stainless steel. Mine are the cab length. When they came in I noticed that there was a "MADE IN CHINA" sticker on the outside of the box so I was a bit apprehensive. Well I do think differently now. Total installation of both bars took 1 hour, after I had broken everything down by side and unwrapped the bars themselves. The craftsmanship was nothing but excellent. everything fit together great but I did have to modify three of the mounting bracket, mounting assemblies. When they welded the bolt to the bracket, three of them had the flats of the bolts that were not even with the brackets. These brackets barely fit through the cutoutd in the rocker panels to begin with so I had to grind the corners of the bolts to be even with the bracket. After that it all went together without a hitch. I highly recommend them for strength & looks. They are rated at 500lbs. per side, which I like being 6'6" and 300lbs myself. When I stand anywhere on them they do not give at all. They are solid as a rock. There are three mounting brackets per side made from welded 3\16" plate. I do wish they were stainless as well, but they are powdercoated so hopefully they willl stand the test of time. All nuts, bolts, cap screws & washers were with the kit and all fit perfectly. I really love that the endcaps are stainless and welded as well, making for a great finished look. Having the wide/long step pads is nice for my size 13 boots. Here are a few pictures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a set of 5" on mine. The pads were too far forward for me. When I would go to get out, my foot would end up just off the pad. Brought them back where I purchased them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice!

I too have the Mopar nerfs, the biggest gripe I have with them is that they're too tight to the body/rocker panels. Not much room for feet without rubbing on the paint which is also a gripe of mine when it comes to passengers getting in and out lol. Can't stand seeing older trucks/vehicles with wear marks on the rockers and door sills, etc.

Could be possibly looking to replace them with something different in the future.

·
Registered
125 Posts
just noticed the brackets on mine are starting to rust. might make a new set out of SS come spring time

·
Registered
110 Posts
squig69,

My steps are a lot closer to the rocker panels than yours show to be in the pictures. I am hoping that they have done more to help eliminate the rust situation. According to the website, they are powder coated. I am thinking about shooting them with coat of clearcoat or possibly have them covered in Linex coating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
bought mine from apple autoglass and they installed them but from looking at mine i feel they hang too low, while stepping on them to get in and out they "feel" like they are the right distance away from the rockers, just a bit too low. never thought about having them sprayed with linex though, thanks for that one. come spring i'll have a betterr look at them and see what i can do to the mounts to get them to sit better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts