DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a RV Travel Trailer and am looking for any/all feedback as to towability. In addition, I welcome suggestions pertaining to Weight Distributing Hitch brand or any other mods (i.e. springs, aribags, tires, etc.) for my proposed application. My primary concern here (and the reason for posting) is TV cargo capacity. Thanks in advance.

SPECIFICATIONS
Tow Vehicle: Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear, OEM brake controller. GVWR 6900#, GCWR 15,950#, Maximum Tow Weight 10,160#, Cargo Capacity (door sticker) 1437, GAWR Front 3900#, GAWR Rear 3900#. Passengers (4) 2 adults, 1 child, 1 medium size dog 540#, 32-gallon tank at full = 192#

Travel Trailer: Empty Weight 5322#, Base Tongue Weight 523#, GVWR 7400, Cargo Capacity 2078#, Overall Length Rear to Tongue 28'5". NOTE: LP Gas included in Empty Weight. Fresh water capacity is 52 gallons but I always tow with tanks empty.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
When towing a trailer there are only two numbers to worry about, the gross weight of the trailer (empty weight plus cargo capacity) and the payload of your tow vehicle (on a placard in the driver's door jamb), usually printed on the same placard as the tire pressures.

The vehicle payload is the maximum amount of weight it can safely carry and includes tongue weight, cargo weight, people, dogs, etc. The published payload includes the vehicle and all of its fluids including fuel.

The tongue weight of the travel trailer should be 10 to 12 percent of the trailer's total loaded weight. A WD hitch will increase and the amount of weight your vehicle can manage through distribution.

Can't help with a WD recommendation since I tow a fiver.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have had several Travel trailers and I use the Reese dual cam sway control system on them. There a lift and sway all in one system that you don't have to worry about when you back up like other brands. You won't be disappointed with this set up.

·
Super Moderator
34,742 Posts
You look good to go from a truck and trailer perspective. The GVWR is well below your tow capacity and tongue weight below payload even with cargo and passengers in the truck.

I don't have a WDH, so I can't help there

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bad TT tow set up etc advice is pretty much the norm on most automotive forums. And The road to hell is paved with good intensions where people don't really fully understand and just parrot what they've heard. If they've done a fair amount of WDH set up work on the scales they will give good advice & speed up your learning curve.

Might as well start with Payload its a factor but does not dictate what a TV can safely tow. Adding up tongue weight guesstimates from a brochure and items loaded etc is a bad plan. Yes I know when you don't have both the truck & TT what are you supposed to do? Well my guess is That this is where all the assumptions of adding up the payload came from.

The correct plan is to Pick a TT whose GVWR (not dry weight) (as you normally won't exceed this weight when camping) is less than your trucks max tow ratings. If the TT that you pick has GVWR or wet weight that is less than 5,000 pounds you won't likely exceed your trucks GVWR (actual payload) or more importantly axle rating (which are 3,900 each) unless you heavily load the cab & bed. And according to Ram doesn't require a WDH. IMO with any larger longer TT a WDH is a good idea even below that threshold. Above 5,000 Ram says use a WDH and the smart safe way to do it is to take it to a scale.

What you learn is that with a properly adjusted WDH (assuming your not heavily loading the bed) that up to your max tow weight & reasonable weight redistribution ie around 12.5 percent of wet TT weight being your tongue weight (truck n trailer level) that you should not normally be exceeding your rated max axle, GVWR, CVWR, or tongue weight. Naturally the only way to know is to actually scale it. $10 is common cost at a truck stop CAT triple scales.

Now the next bub who never reads or comprehends chit is going to say; it all depends on what that yellow payload sticker says just add up.. :doh:

Sounds like you have already towed a TT and have truck & trailer stats. Let's work with what you provided. Except your truck's CVWR & max tow are not likely 15,950 & 10,160 as you have a four door & those at least 15,950 is from a single cab. Won't matter as you won't be above your Trucks ratings with this TT.

The trailer you specked has a GVWR of 7,400 this will be less than your trucks max tow rating. And therefore unless you heavily load your truck your CVW will be less than your CVWR. Per Ram's recommendation at this weight you should use a WDH. Since you are going to do this right Ie assure it will handle safely for your family you're going to take it to the scale apply & adjust for best redistribution and get the truck and trailer level.

With weight distribution applied this should make your tongue weight about 12 1/2% of the wet trailer weight. Figuring from the TT GVWR of 7400 gives a best safe estimate tongue weight of 925 pounds so you pick a no sway WDH the next size above this of 1,000 pounds. My pick for one travel trailer would be Blue Ox Sway Pro with the 1,000 pound bars for this TT. ETrailer is a good place to shop. Air bags likely not required unless you heavily load the bed but regardless would dramatically improve ride suspension dampening & control & compliments the hitch. My pick would be TLC or Timbergrove. While at the scale you verify axles weights with decent WD you should have room unless you loaded the bed & cab heavy.additionally you can verify that's it's below GVWR or payload. Mine is 6,950. The Express is light unloaded by itself it shouldn't be more than 5500.
Delivering Airstreams from Mfg 2 dealers RAM EcoDies factory brake controller, tow mirrors, hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12,000, Andersen 4" drop/rise no sway WDH, TLC axle to frame air bags mini compressor, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max RAM 1500 GCAR 7,800, GCVW 15,950

1 - 5 of 5 Posts