DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok - so my truck has an intermittent rattle in the dashboard. I have tried to track it down - but because it is so hit-or-miss, it is nearly impossible.

I did discover one possible source for the noise - but it was temporary (and apparently a different noise, or at least not directly related to the primary noise).

My best description of the sound - it is originating somewhere between the audio system and the glove boxes. Opening the upper glove box does not change the noise. Opening the lower glove box makes it a bit louder. It sounds to me like maybe there is a screw or other fastener missing or not fully tightened/installed, so two pieces (metallic or plastic, I cannot tell) are slightly but rapidly rubbing.

The noise is not apparently related to the fan blower.

My original thought was that the noise was related to this in the corner of the upper glove box... inside is a wire harness that plugs into nothing (a filler)... What is this (or could it have been)? The reason I thought it was the source of the noise - the electrical connection inside is fairly lose, and after I fiddled with it a bit, the noise stopped...temporarily.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That whole generally area seems to be prone to rattles. I've been having the same issue and can share what I've discovered.

- It could be the clips used to hold the windshield up during install. See this thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126605

- The lower glove box door doesn't close very tight. I bent the metal clasp to move the door in when closed.

- The passenger AC vent seems very loose and rattlely. I've pushed some small foam into the seams to hold it tighter.

- Behind the lower glove box door there is a large wire harness. It's held in place with a plastic x-mas tree pushed into the metal support. This was loose and making noise. I shoved some foam all around it.

- Running in parallel to large harness above is the antenna ( I think ) cable. This was very loosely held in place with zip ties. I cinched down the zip ties.

- The plastic bag that the jack tools are in seems to make a bunch of velcroy types of noises. I removed it and wrapped the tools in a towel and bungee cord.

I've stopped just about all the noises by doing the above. I'm sure more will start down the road. I wished Chrysler would have spent more time in this area. It's really my only complaint. The rest of the truck is fantastic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interestingly enough - my 2013 Express was the quietest vehicle I have ever purchased (new or used) - at least internal unintended noises.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look as soon as I can

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the list! First thing - checked the windshield clip suggestion - and the one on the passenger side was indeed loose enough to rattle - and the "glue" is hard as a rock (and loose - not holding the black clip). Will find out this evening if that made a difference in the noise (it's cold and getting colder).

Glove box is not the problem itself - pressing on it firmly doesn't stop or even quiet the noise.

That whole generally area seems to be prone to rattles. I've been having the same issue and can share what I've discovered.

- It could be the clips used to hold the windshield up during install. See this thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126605

- The lower glove box door doesn't close very tight. I bent the metal clasp to move the door in when closed.

- The passenger AC vent seems very loose and rattlely. I've pushed some small foam into the seams to hold it tighter.

- Behind the lower glove box door there is a large wire harness. It's held in place with a plastic x-mas tree pushed into the metal support. This was loose and making noise. I shoved some foam all around it.

- Running in parallel to large harness above is the antenna ( I think ) cable. This was very loosely held in place with zip ties. I cinched down the zip ties.

- The plastic bag that the jack tools are in seems to make a bunch of velcroy types of noises. I removed it and wrapped the tools in a towel and bungee cord.

I've stopped just about all the noises by doing the above. I'm sure more will start down the road. I wished Chrysler would have spent more time in this area. It's really my only complaint. The rest of the truck is fantastic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine rattles pretty good on a cold morning and then seems to get better as it warms up. Sounds to be coming from behind the U Connect screen. I'm not really impressed by the rattles but no too surprised either. :smiledown:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts